Marquee player.

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Re: Marquee player.

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 21 Jun 2015, 13:11

Not so sure why all the hate against this.
Just for example;

Shenton is in 175k. He's our Marquee and we spend the full cap.
We now have an extra 75k available to spend if needed/afforded.
Could get 3 squad players, keep 4/5 kids on that otherwise may be cast aside or sign an decent quality player to enhance the squad.

It's not all about signing a journeyman out for a big payday.

Long live the Tigers!!!

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 21 Jun 2015, 13:57

da_jimbob_7 wrote:Not so sure why all the hate against this.
Just for example;

Could get 3 squad players, keep 4/5 kids on that otherwise may be cast aside or sign an decent quality player to enhance the squad.

^^^^^this :clap: :clap:
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Terry180241
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Terry180241 » 21 Jun 2015, 14:37

It as already been mentioned that paying 1 Player a large amount of money is going to cause problems, a coach as to get everybody in the squad playing together well I personally think this is going to undo what a coach is trying to do at a club you can not have a player turning up in a Rolls Royce and the rest in Ford Cortina's for training sessions and expect them all to play together like good boys :-" :-"

I'm afraid Mr,Koukash as got it all wrong by pushing this "Marquee" player through and it is also going to split the league into 2 sections again.
T.W.H.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 21 Jun 2015, 15:12

Just for example;

How do you know what a player is on??

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 21 Jun 2015, 15:12

Why does everyone says this is Koukash? This is a rule Heatherington has wanted for years and 8 of the 12 teams voted for.

Mr XP
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: @nathastbury

Post by Mr XP » 21 Jun 2015, 16:07

Fumper27 wrote:
Just for example;

How do you know what a player is on??
I don't think he does, the key words would be "just for example" ;)

Castleford tigers Irish supporters branch

chesterfieldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chesterfieldtiger » 21 Jun 2015, 16:19

Terry180241 wrote:It as already been mentioned that paying 1 Player a large amount of money is going to cause problems, a coach as to get everybody in the squad playing together well I personally think this is going to undo what a coach is trying to do at a club you can not have a player turning up in a Rolls Royce and the rest in Ford Cortina's for training sessions and expect them all to play together like good boys :-" :-"

I'm afraid Mr,Koukash as got it all wrong by pushing this "Marquee" player through and it is also going to split the league into 2 sections again.
When did a player last turn up in a ford cortina then? Showing your age there lol

Adelaide Tigurrrr!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Adelaide Tigurrrr! » 22 Jun 2015, 00:42

Terry180241 wrote:It as already been mentioned that paying 1 Player a large amount of money is going to cause problems, a coach as to get everybody in the squad playing together well I personally think this is going to undo what a coach is trying to do at a club you can not have a player turning up in a Rolls Royce and the rest in Ford Cortina's for training sessions and expect them all to play together like good boys :-" :-"

The ruling is just one marquee player per club. So how this is going to split the league into 2 sections is beyond me.

For example - Leeds might choose to make Watkins their marquee to stop NRL/RU from poaching him. How does that dramatically improve Leeds?

Wigan may choose Tomkins - will Tomkins make that great deal of difference.

Saints may choose Roby to stop other clubs buying him - how does this improve saints.

Salford and Warrington may be the 2 teams that go after a big name player - but it is just one player not a full team of marquee players.

As for Cas we don't have to buy a marquee player if DP puts the team before an individual.

If Koucash can bring in a really big name then hopefully the column inches it generates benefits RL as a whole.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 22 Jun 2015, 00:50

My opinion is that this marquee player rule has more chance of splitting changing rooms in 2 rather than the league. One man does not make a team, however one man being paid considerably more than the rest can split a team. Take an example that if it had been introduced this year and we could have afforded to make Ben Roberts our 'marquee player'. How would the likes of Shenny, Gale, Millington etc.. have felt running their blood to water week in week out on a lot less than a player taking time to settle in and sat on the sidelines for a few games? (only an example, its not a dig against Roberts, who I think we are starting to see why DP brought him over). As has been said by somebody else, lets make DP our 'marquee signing' and see what the reaction across SL is to that one!!

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 22 Jun 2015, 08:39

Adelaide Tigurrrr! wrote:

The ruling is just one marquee player per club. So how this is going to split the league into 2 sections is beyond me.

For example - Leeds might choose to make Watkins their marquee to stop NRL/RU from poaching him. How does that dramatically improve Leeds?

Wigan may choose Tomkins - will Tomkins make that great deal of difference.

Saints may choose Roby to stop other clubs buying him - how does this improve saints.

Salford and Warrington may be the 2 teams that go after a big name player - but it is just one player not a full team of marquee players.

As for Cas we don't have to buy a marquee player if DP puts the team before an individual.

If Koucash can bring in a really big name then hopefully the column inches it generates benefits RL as a whole.
As already said though if shenton is on anything over 100k he could be designated the marquee player and we save a little cap room

No dressing room split in 2 and certainly no end of super league,rugby league dieing that some fans are scaremongering about
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 22 Jun 2015, 09:37

That's it Machine!
It isn't all about players being paid loads. Some may possibly be on over 100k and if one is home grown we can use some of that wage to sign a couple more players. It could be good for clubs like us.
1) to help us build a large squad
2) continue to keep our youngsters on and give them time ala Massey.
3) pick up disgruntled players pushed out by the 'star' players signed by others. That's if teams go out and do that.

Long live the Tigers!!!