Powell Out

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Powell Out

Post by duke street 10 » 17 May 2015, 16:11

Id take the No20 for Leigh off their hands if they don't get promoted. Sam Hoskins...terrific prospect

tigerforever
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tigerforever » 17 May 2015, 16:22

And there is that chap called Brierley as well - why cant we produce talent like that. :-$

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 17 May 2015, 16:42

tigerforever wrote:And there is that chap called Brierley as well - why cant we produce talent like that. :-$
Yes. He may never be as good as Roger Millward but it could be another international half back we have let slip through our fingers :shock:

chesterfieldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chesterfieldtiger » 17 May 2015, 17:05

Sorry can't agree. Against Salford he was ordinary. Today he played against a team woefully short of ideas. I said when they beat Salford it was the worst game I'd ever seen, well today beats that hands down. Watch this space against Warrington. He'll disappear again. Mark my words.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 17 May 2015, 17:42

Let's be honest with this brierly was no where near super league ready it's taken 3 hard years of working at it for him to become the player he has and only then is he on the brink of been a super league player just how long do u think we had that long to invest in him. This is not all our fault but also the loss of the u20s really didn't help this where players would play against super league players and helped them ready them selfs for life at the top.

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 17 May 2015, 18:14

For me Brierley is not really SL standard on a week to week basis, playing the big boys week in week out. He did OK and no more against a Salford team that quite frankly ended up with a 'rag, tag and bobtail' line up after the first 20 minutes and one which were really struggling with injuries and were there to be taken. The first half today he was not noticed but obviously was good in the second half. But lets be honest Wakey were utterly abysmal in that 2nd stanza, and practically downed tools. The game was also very poor and looked more like a championship game than a prospective SL one.

Or to put it maybe more positive, he may be OK in SL, but I don't think he would offer anything on a permanent basis there that would progress us to where we would want to be. Personally I think he would get found out.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

tigerforever
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tigerforever » 17 May 2015, 18:20

Bengal wrote:For me Brierley is not really SL standard on a week to week basis, playing the big boys week in week out. He did OK and no more against a Salford team that quite frankly ended up with a 'rag, tag and bobtail' line up after the first 20 minutes and one which were really struggling. The first half today he was not noticed but obviously was very good in the second half. But lets be honest Wakey were utterly abysmal in that 2nd stanza, and practically downed tools.

Or to put it maybe more positive, he may be OK in SL, but I don't think he would offer anything on a permanent basis there that would progress us to where we would want to be.
But does Roberts offer anything either?

railway end man
League One Player
League One Player

Post by railway end man » 17 May 2015, 19:06

The signing of Ben Roberts is a poor one he's very game shy and when he does he never gets the game by the neck or boss's it and gives us any direction looks lost at times thought the days of giving pension top ups was over clearly over !!there our better half backs in the championship who would give us more options then Ben Roberts look as his appearances over the last 7 year on wiki

Also why have we not added to our squad ok Bailey in but crossley departed but Dixon who retired ? As a club were not seeing that competitive edge what was running through the club last year does the club fancy the super 8s or middle 8s? Does the middle 8 have potential for more revenue return?

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 17 May 2015, 19:09

tigerforever wrote:
Bengal wrote:For me Brierley is not really SL standard on a week to week basis, playing the big boys week in week out. He did OK and no more against a Salford team that quite frankly ended up with a 'rag, tag and bobtail' line up after the first 20 minutes and one which were really struggling. The first half today he was not noticed but obviously was very good in the second half. But lets be honest Wakey were utterly abysmal in that 2nd stanza, and practically downed tools.

Or to put it maybe more positive, he may be OK in SL, but I don't think he would offer anything on a permanent basis there that would progress us to where we would want to be.
But does Roberts offer anything either?
But what Roberts does or does not, is irrelevant to what I am saying about Brierley.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 17 May 2015, 19:15

Whether he's good enough or not (and I suspect he IS), I just don't think Cas and Ben Roberts are the harmonious marriage we hoped for.

I just have a feeling he'll go better elsewhere, and there's nothing we can do about it really as he doesn't seem to fit in to our style/culture, or DP's requirements from a HB.

Just my opinion and not trying to be nasty.
Audacter Et Sincere

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 17 May 2015, 21:22

railway end man wrote:The signing of Ben Roberts is a poor one he's very game shy and when he does he never gets the game by the neck or boss's it and gives us any direction?
That's Gale's job.

Roberts is, was and will always be a support player - not a main pivot.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 17 May 2015, 21:36

The one thing with Roberts that we all know is he was powells man he wanted him and pursued him over a year so the book has to stop with Powell but tbf I thought we had got a good catch with Ben just not quiet clicked hopefully something will and soon or if not goes on a long list of players who haven't done what we needed. I think this year our team just doesn't seem to have the same togetherness and work ethic as last year which is a shame as I thought Powell was really drilling the culture home and starting something

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 17 May 2015, 21:56

Bengal wrote: But lets be honest Wakey were utterly abysmal in that 2nd stanza, and practically downed tools. The game was also very poor and looked more like a championship game than a prospective SL one.
About a month ago after Leigh beat Salford I was pretty much a lone voice here in saying that I believed they'd see Wakey off too. Wakey pack strength would be too much for them was the cry. It wasn't a great contest today, but Wakey did show far more than they have of late, & Leigh should at least be applauded for putting on an attacking show to put some points on the board, see them off & get the result. To be hoped our boys were watching ...

GThornton
League One Player
League One Player

Post by GThornton » 18 May 2015, 06:25

Fev ran Catalan close. That middle 8 after the split could be harder then you think.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 18 May 2015, 10:21

GThornton wrote:Fev ran Catalan close. That middle 8 after the split could be harder then you think.
Spot on. A superb effort from Fev.

Half the squads in SL should have a look at those results yeterday & understand that the middle 8 isn't a place to drop into.

Batley also deserve a massive round of applause.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 18 May 2015, 12:13

On seeing the post match interviews Powell sounds at the end of his tether, if things got really bad would he walk?

I hope the current squad buck up or the board gives him sufficient funds to find better targets in the off season.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 May 2015, 12:22

things arnt that bad..if you want to talk about really bad have a look at whats happening a few miles down the road
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 18 May 2015, 12:37

tigerfeat wrote:things arnt that bad..if you want to talk about really bad have a look at whats happening a few miles down the road
I would be surprised if they didn't have a new coach by the end of the week.... Carter can't afford not to.

New coach,Newcastle,2 weeks?..

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 18 May 2015, 13:12

I started this reply thinking who'd go to Wakey, but actually, it is a fairly good appointment if you are out of work. You simply can't lose, if they don't win again, it is the squad and no money. If you actually get them to win a few, you've boosted your stock. Win / Win.

Back on topic, we are definitely missing Frankie and Denny as a minimum. Dorn back for Tansey and I think we are different again. We need a good run starting soon, otherwise the points and time will be against us.

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 18 May 2015, 13:34

On radio yorkshire powell said some of his players arent good enough