"We've never heard them called Tigers......

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

"We've never heard them called Tigers......

Post by Tigerade » 15 Apr 2015, 21:12

.....Maybe it will stick"
Before my time but I found this fantastic photo taken at Wembley Stadium - maybe 1969 or 1970. here:-
So, the Tigers nick name (or moniker) predates Super League by at least 25 years !
I vaguely remember the team been called "the Glassblowers". I can remember the badge changing from the towns coat of arms (here) Image
to the Tigers head (here) Image
This was about 1992 I think but the badge didn't have the name Tigers on if until a couple of years later - maybe 1994.

So, as a club we have been Tigers for quite some time it seems. We have a great history and heritage to be proud of.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: "We've never heard them called Tigers......

Post by Sharlotiger » 15 Apr 2015, 21:15

Been known locally as the tigers since one of our early black and amber hooped shirts from when we joined the pro ranks

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 15 Apr 2015, 21:17

Seen that picture lots of times.
Was a banner at one of the cup finals, I have the paper cutting in one of my scrap books from way back.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 15 Apr 2015, 21:26

old cas lass wrote:Seen that picture lots of times.
Was a banner at one of the cup finals, I have the paper cutting in one of my scrap books from way back.
I have the paper cutting myself. I think it is from the YEP. Great to see D.I.Y. club merchandise as well. I bet they saved a fortune compared to today's prices.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 15 Apr 2015, 22:23

Tigerade wrote:
old cas lass wrote:Seen that picture lots of times.
I have the paper cutting myself. I think it is from the YEP. Great to see D.I.Y. club merchandise as well. I bet they saved a fortune compared to today's prices.
Me too!

WF10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WF10 » 15 Apr 2015, 22:55

Wonder if anyone has been to all our Wembley finals? Apart from '35 obviously.
Would love to hear tales from all/any.
removed post it again and you will join them on a 48 hour ban read the AUP

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 15 Apr 2015, 23:06

WF10 wrote:Wonder if anyone has been to all our Wembley finals? Apart from '35 obviously.
Been to them all apart from the 69 game.
Broke my ankle the sunday before, had the train and ground tickets all bought, my mate went in my place.

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 16 Apr 2015, 00:45

WF10 wrote:Wonder if anyone has been to all our Wembley finals? Apart from '35 obviously.
Worst one for me, was my Dad booked for us to go to Wembley in 1967 he was so confident we would be going, after were drawn at the Flat Cappers in the Quarter Finals, but we had some of our best players injured playing for GB v France, Hardisty and big Bill Bryant to name a couple and got beat, so for my first visit to Wembley, I had to watch the Flat Capper :(
At least I didn't have too long to wait before watching my team though, as went a couple of years later in 69 and in 1970 as well, when we really were Classy Cas, but similar to today, our forwards were the real deal!
COYF!!!
Danny Boy

GThornton
League One Player
League One Player

Post by GThornton » 16 Apr 2015, 06:44

1969 Cas v Salford and my uncle Jack painted it.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 16 Apr 2015, 06:57

old cas lass wrote:
Broke my ankle the sunday before, had the train and ground tickets all bought, my mate went in my place.
Strange that, I did them all except 69 too. Went up Carlton Street about 12 noon and thought I was the only person left in Cas. Didn't realise there was two of us!

GThornton
League One Player
League One Player

Post by GThornton » 16 Apr 2015, 07:06

I didn't go with the rest of the family in 1969, but in 1970 i remember coming home from Wembley with a small plastic silver cup with black and amber ribbons on it. I also remember my dad getting us lost on the underground and not seeing anything in London apart from Wembley. BTW the home made hats and rosettes were fantastic back then and also the wooden rattles.

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 16 Apr 2015, 08:00

I have been to all except 1935 and 1969 was certainly the best as it was the first one for most of us. The worst one by far was last year as the old stadium was far better for atmosphere and everyone could see the presentation of the cup.

Shameless
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shameless » 16 Apr 2015, 09:30

Danny Boy wrote: Worst one for me, was my Dad booked for us to go to Wembley in 1967 he was so confident we would be going, after were drawn at the Flat Cappers in the Quarter Finals, but we had some of our best players injured playing for GB v France, Hardisty and big Bill Bryant to name a couple and got beat, so for my first visit to Wembley, I had to watch the Flat Capper :(
At least I didn't have too long to wait before watching my team though, as went a couple of years later in 69 and in 1970 as well, when we really were Classy Cas, but similar to today, our forwards were the real deal!
COYF!!!
Haha - that's a great story.

stevieP
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stevieP » 16 Apr 2015, 12:02

sparky49 wrote:I have been to all except 1935 and 1969 was certainly the best as it was the first one for most of us. The worst one by far was last year as the old stadium was far better for atmosphere and everyone could see the presentation of the cup.
Same here and I have to agree with sparky49 although 86 ran it pretty close.

stevieP
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stevieP » 16 Apr 2015, 12:02

69 that is.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 16 Apr 2015, 16:27

Sharlotiger wrote:Been known locally as the tigers since one of our early black and amber hooped shirts from when we joined the pro ranks
Yes thats what my dad told me,mid 1950's when we wore the amber & black hooped shirts. They used to shout "up the tigers/go on the tigers" etc :)

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 16 Apr 2015, 18:38

old cas lass wrote:
Weren't you the mascot in 1935 ;)

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 16 Apr 2015, 19:11

Fumper27 wrote:
old cas lass wrote:
Weren't you the mascot in 1935 ;)
Cheeky bugger.

the40/20
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by the40/20 » 16 Apr 2015, 19:17

Tigerade wrote:.....Maybe it will stick"
Before my time but I found this fantastic photo taken at Wembley Stadium - maybe 1969 or 1970. here:-
So, the Tigers nick name (or moniker) predates Super League by at least 25 years !
I vaguely remember the team been called "the Glassblowers". I can remember the badge changing from the towns coat of arms (here) Image
to the Tigers head (here) Image
This was about 1992 I think but the badge didn't have the name Tigers on if until a couple of years later - maybe 1994.

So, as a club we have been Tigers for quite some time it seems. We have a great history and heritage to be proud of.

That's a fantastic picture! Love the thread as well some fantastic stories

Not sure if anyone's seen the club found an old "castleford rlfc"
Flag in storage and they've now put this up in the marquee at the end
Would love to see if anyone has this in the picture still as I know Steve Gill would love that on show down there

Ooooooohhhh BOOTROOM...

STEVE GILLS BARMY ARMY

the40/20
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by the40/20 » 16 Apr 2015, 19:18

Danny Boy wrote:
Worst one for me, was my Dad booked for us to go to Wembley in 1967 he was so confident we would be going, after were drawn at the Flat Cappers in the Quarter Finals, but we had some of our best players injured playing for GB v France, Hardisty and big Bill Bryant to name a couple and got beat, so for my first visit to Wembley, I had to watch the Flat Capper :(
COYF!!!

Class!! :lol:

Ooooooohhhh BOOTROOM...

STEVE GILLS BARMY ARMY