Friday's result

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Evatiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Friday's result

Post by Evatiger » 28 Mar 2015, 00:04

Good win tonight and another 2 points on the board.have to raise it next week as a performance like tonight won't beat rhinos.down our right hand side we never looked like conceding but our left edge needs serious work.all 3 of lineams tries were the same and we don't seem to slide across like we do the other side.nice to win a tight game and see a good controlled kicking game but do feel a extra gear is needed for next week

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Friday's result

Post by betts21 » 28 Mar 2015, 00:09

Evatiger wrote:Good win tonight and another 2 points on the board.have to raise it next week as a performance like tonight won't beat rhinos.down our right hand side we never looked like conceding but our left edge needs serious work.all 3 of lineams tries were the same and we don't seem to slide across like we do the other side.nice to win a tight game and see a good controlled kicking game but do feel a extra gear is needed for next week
Our left just don't work as a unit and as a result were always ten in from the sideline then two quick passes we panick carney shoots out decent ball to the winger and there in same every week!

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 28 Mar 2015, 01:03

Holmes and shenton had glue on their hands,only explanation

When carney was given a proper ball he ploughed through lineham to score

An awful boo boo from clare when he through the ball when diving for the line but more than made up for it with a top trysaving tackle on talanoa in closing stages

Decent turn out by hull

Now to hunt some whinos
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 28 Mar 2015, 01:11

A case of job done, two points in the bank, now onto next week.

Greyhound
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Greyhound » 28 Mar 2015, 01:26

Hard earned win tonight which shows we are improving compared to the start of the season, we are muscling up when needed, still things to work on, eg our left defensive flank for one. The pack worked there socks off esp milo, thought moors and mc meeken stood up towards end of the game to see them home, Milner looked sharp for his second spell too. Tansey had a bit of a mixed game, think he's lacking in confidence, sorry to say but Ben Roberts went missing, which is a shame after the game last Friday. We played poorly and won, usually a sign of a good team

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 28 Mar 2015, 05:32

The improvement of Milner was a big plus for me tonight together with the two new pacy backs, Lynch and Millo!!

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 28 Mar 2015, 06:23

Some good performances...Millington,Gale and Milner stood out for me. As others have said left hand side of defence will need working on, two walk ins for Lineham 2nd half.

Defence on the whole improving. Hopefully Dorn will be ok for Friday as attack is better when he plays. Mcmeeken looked bright when he got on...looks a real talent.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 28 Mar 2015, 08:10

I was well impressed with out pack - Millo, Lynch, Milner in particular. Gale was superb and Finn tackled very well.
Good after match comment from DP - "We showed everyone how entertaining we could be last year but we saw tonight a different side to out game - how we can grind out an important win."

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 28 Mar 2015, 08:35

Great defensive work tonight with the 5 or 6 goal line drop outs, a few seasons ago we would have conceded 4 or 5 tries from them. As stated the left hand side need to sort their positioning out as Carney was left with too much to cover for Lineams tries. I would also like to give a big rap to Scott Wheeldon as he got through a lot of graft, Massey has competition for his place on that performance.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 28 Mar 2015, 08:46

Just a mention on the attendance. 8744 was good for a Friday night but I would imagine we could have had 10K had it been on a Sunday.

Our average is holding up pretty nicely too. From 4 home games - 8536.

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 28 Mar 2015, 09:17

If hull was any good we'd have got beat last night. Carmeys defensive positioning is shocking. Nearly all the game lineham just hugged his touchline and if they had got him the ball near our line more that he did he could have scored 10. More often than not carney was giving him 20 meters of freedom. Leeds will see that and make him look silly. Good to win though when playing so bad. Hope dorn is back next week, tansey slows our attack down and cant believe a fullback is willing to let the high ball bounce on more than one occasion

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 28 Mar 2015, 09:42

I think the team will take more confidence out of a win like that than if we had rolled them by twenty odd points. They showed real steel and grit for first time this season when under the pump. I thought Millo, Wheeldon and Gale were terrific, but for me Milner edged man of the match. His second stint was first class.

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 28 Mar 2015, 09:47

"More often than not carney was giving him 20 meters"
And if carney was to push right out to the wing to cover that it would leave a huge 25 meter gap in the centre position. Creating an even easier scoring position.
There were a lot of people stood near me last night who were shouting 'get on your bloody wing carney. He could easily drift over to the wing leave a gap, then we would just be blaming shenton instead. I'm not disagreeing that out left needs some work but it is 100% not just down to carney.

All in all a tough game and shenny knocking on early in the second gave them a But of a lift, Had that come off think we would have won by a few more.

Thought Milner had a good game, as millo, wheeldon got throught a lot of graft.

Wf10Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Wf10Tiger » 28 Mar 2015, 09:54

lidds wrote:"More often than not carney was giving him 20 meters"
And if carney was to push right out to the wing to cover that it would leave a huge 25 meter gap in the centre position. Creating an even easier scoring position.
There were a lot of people stood near me last night who were shouting 'get on your bloody wing carney. He could easily drift over to the wing leave a gap, then we would just be blaming shenton instead. I'm not disagreeing that out left needs some work but it is 100% not just down to carney
I 100% agree. I think on a couple of them tries it was 3 on 1 and if he marked the winger they would have just walked over instead of passing. There was one bloke who slated Justin all game near me for coming off his wing. Then near the end Justin shot off his wing and clattered and Hull player and he was shouting great tackle/great decision. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I agree with an earlier post that the defence doesn't seem to slide across to the left whereas it slides brillianty to the right.

I thought Gibson had a great game in defence personally, tackled everyone in sight!

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 28 Mar 2015, 10:05

Wf10Tiger wrote:
lidds wrote:"More often than not carney was giving him 20 meters"
There were a lot of people stood near me last night who were shouting 'get on your bloody wing carney. He could easily drift over to the wing leave a gap, then we would just be blaming shenton instead. I'm not disagreeing that out left needs some work but it is 100% not just down to carney
I 100% agree. I think on a couple of them tries it was 3 on 1 and if he marked the winger they would have just walked over instead of passing. There was one bloke who slated Justin all game near me for coming off his wing. Then near the end Justin shot off his wing and clattered and Hull player and he was shouting great tackle/great decision. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I agree with an earlier post that the defence doesn't seem to slide across to the left whereas it slides brillianty to the right.

I thought Gibson had a great game in defence personally, tackled everyone in sight!
Spot on.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

Morrissey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Morrissey » 28 Mar 2015, 10:24

Thought we had a few players who stepped up tonight - Adam Milner has had his critics but I think he came up with the game changer to give us a platform to score our final try with his run from dummy half that got us the field position.

Scott Wheeldon got through a mountain of work, along with the usual tough stints from Millington and Lynch was class too.

Ashley Gibson was outstanding for me - definitely have him starting in the centre over Channing. He seems much stronger than last season, he was getting his head through the other side of the tackle and looked actually threatening. He has to feature over Easter there again at some point.

Was great to see us tough out a win - our defence is very good, even though our attack isn't quite as sharp as it was last year. That said, I think our attack is 10 times better with Luke Dorn in - he creates space, and I feel like had he played last night we would have scored a couple more tries. We had that spell of constant pressure on their line where we huffed and puffed in the first half, and it just seemed that's what we were missing - his play out of the back that gives Carney/Shenton that extra yard of space created by his presence.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 28 Mar 2015, 11:17

Could somebody please enlighten me as to what Tansey offers us?! Shys away from too many high balls putting us under pressure and offers little, if anything, in attack. We are a totally different attacking side with him at the back, we don't have the spark that Dorn gives. On a more positive note, I thought Milner was superb when he came on, but I think I would have been tempted to drop Roberts to fullback when Milner came on and take Tansey off. Anyone know how long Salomona is away from fitness as he would provide much better cover for Dorn at the back. I was also happy to be proved wrong by Gibson last night as when he was announced as starting in the centre I was a little sceptical to say the least, but I thought he showed up well and definitely a better option than Channing, who has the heart of a lion, but just isn't physically big enough IMO (reminds me of Wainy, 100%er but not quiet up to SL standard). All that said, a good win last night and a much needed 2 points. Onwards and upwards and look forward to sending the Whinos home on Friday with nothing!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Mar 2015, 11:49

We did what we had to do needed those two points, i feel that with Gibson its almost like we've signed a new player
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 28 Mar 2015, 12:45

Ive lost count of how many tries gets scored down carneys wing with the opposition winger not having to beat anyone. When it happens 3 times in one game theres something wrong. If carney would have stopped on his wing there would have been a big gap between him and shenny but there wasnt a hull player stood opposite the gap. When were attacking too he stands right at the side of shenny, if he stands on or near the touchline he makes hulls defence spread out and cover the full field which will create space for people in field. You cant honestly think its right to give a player 20 meters of space when were defending our own line. Im starting to think that not many people who post on here know that much about rugby.

Black n Amber
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Black n Amber » 28 Mar 2015, 14:56

the machine wrote:Holmes and shenton had glue on their hands,only explanation

When carney was given a proper ball he ploughed through lineham to score

An awful boo boo from clare when he through the ball when diving for the line but more than made up for it with a top trysaving tackle on talanoa in closing stages

Decent turn out by hull

Now to hunt some whinos
Our left edge certainly left a lot to be desired last night, Shenton just seems in capable of passing the ball to his right, and when he decides to, he's in the process of being tackled, a brainfart which would of blown the score out too 18-4 with Carney under the posts, and for me the game their and then, maybe this was the reason Saint Helens played him on their right edge for much of his time their, who knows, as for Oggy well he had his hands well and trully full with Mark Minichello, Hull's best player this year by a country mile, and wouldn't look out of place in any team, that been said, 2 points, onwards and upwards !