Friday's result

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Friday's result

Post by lurcher » 28 Mar 2015, 17:10

great game from milner, roberts looks devoid of confidence. i don't think clare will be as impressed with gibson as some on here as not for the first time he didn't get a single pass from him. every move breaks down as soon as gibson gets the ball. solid in defence though and i thought crossley was strong again.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 29 Mar 2015, 11:52

dude wrote:Ive lost count of how many tries gets scored down carneys wing with the opposition winger not having to beat anyone. When it happens 3 times in one game theres something wrong. If carney would have stopped on his wing there would have been a big gap between him and shenny but there wasnt a hull player stood opposite the gap. When were attacking too he stands right at the side of shenny, if he stands on or near the touchline he makes hulls defence spread out and cover the full field which will create space for people in field. You cant honestly think its right to give a player 20 meters of space when were defending our own line. Im starting to think that not many people who post on here know that much about rugby.
As some have said not sure it's just a Carney issue. Most teams use a sliding defence as do Cas but our left side seems to slide much slower than the right. This 'movement' isn't just down to the winger the defenders need to slide as a unit so centre, 2nd row and half back at that side are also involved.

The problem with defending your line is you cant simply go man on nan as a sinle tackler cannot stop an opponent in full motion so close to the line and prevent a try. This means defenders close together near the play the ball and spaces out wide which have to be filled by the whole team moving as the ball is spread wide. In terms of Carney giving 20 metres to Lineham he can't simply go out to the touch line as this would leave a 20 metre gap between him and Shenton. Any decent full back would join the line and be through that space before other players could spread out to fill the gap (Dorn would have a field day against teams doing that). Additionally the ball would get to a player who could utilise the space quicker than they can get it to Lineham who is 20 metres further out giving even less time to fill the space.

I am not trying to absolve Carney of responsibility as I agree he has some work to do on this but I don't think it's just him it's a wider issue about how quickly our defence is able to fill space when defending on the line. If it was as simple as Carney going man to man with the winger DP would give him an instruction to do so - I think it's more the mechanics of the defense at that side. Certainly last season in my opinion Finn made a big contribution in the effectiveness of our right side sliding defence and this could be one of a number of factors between the difference in effectiveness going into this year.

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 29 Mar 2015, 15:14

Dixon was on radio leeds saying there wasn't a need to have shot out the line twice. So will go with him that there was sufficient enough chance to prevent a try without rushing out. Will look forward to the highlights though.

Long live the Tigers!!!

baldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by baldtiger » 29 Mar 2015, 20:22

"quote"
Certainly last season in my opinion Finn made a big contribution in the effectiveness of our right side sliding defence and this could be one of a number of factors between the difference in effectiveness going into this year.
I think your spot on ! Its the slide on the left thats at fault not always carney

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 29 Mar 2015, 21:27

We'll have to hope that the coaching team come up with a different strategy of for our left edge defense because leeds will have seen it and they will attack it. I think the sliding defence works to a degree but any team i played in i tried to get it across that everyone in the team does sliding defence apart from the winger. The winger stays opposite the other winger and the rest of the team slide over. It stops the winger having a walk in try. Hull attacked our right side way more than the left and our right side looked solid.

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 30 Mar 2015, 18:22

I've just seen the highlights and there's not much build up to see why, but both of Linehams 2nd half tries, Carney was left 2 on 1, with, as has been said, a big gap between the two players. So not sure what Carney could do or be expected to do. He's a big bloke but not 10meter wide to cover them both.

Long live the Tigers!!!

therailwayendisnigh
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by therailwayendisnigh » 30 Mar 2015, 19:26

Exactly what I thought Jimmbob.

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 30 Mar 2015, 19:30

da_jimbob_7 wrote:I've just seen the highlights and there's not much build up to see why, but both of Linehams 2nd half tries, Carney was left 2 on 1, with, as has been said, a big gap between the two players. So not sure what Carney could do or be expected to do. He's a big bloke but not 10meter wide to cover them both.
Exactly what I have been saying! In this image (Their last try) carney is out numbered 2/1 by taking up this position he forces Sneyd to go for the more difficult pass. If snyed either goes himself or goes for the short ball you would hope that Carney would be able to come over and help out. (Tansey is on the way but would have been too late)

However If carney had been stood on his wing it would have made a hugeeee gap meaning a very simple pass for Hull (Plus closer for the 2 points)
I can bet that if this had happened there would have been a load of people screaming at Carney for not coming inside and either helping shenny our for leaving such a massive gap. (Bigger than the one left on his wing)

I feel its much better to take the 'risk' and come inside, a bit and force the more difficult wide ball