Ben Roberts

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Re: Ben Roberts

Post by the machine » 21 Mar 2015, 11:53

baldtiger wrote:Great to see him making ground and getting stuck in, loved the ben roberts chat its got to have made him feel more at home. I always thought he would come good in time and i think he will just get better from here on !
Gale was goal kicking in the warm up ! and to be fair he did have some close misses, but in other games that could cost us. ( maybe we got used to sneyd , he was bloody good )
Sneyd missed his fair few

Gale was solid with the boot against wigan,last night was an off night,it happens
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

classysupercas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classysupercas » 21 Mar 2015, 12:23

yer ben played well today,it as took some time but i think he will only get better,you cant go from been a international player and playing in the australian elite game to become a bad player over night,so whatever has been the reason for the slow start,lets get behind him now, because we need him to improve to his full potential and win us some games which i believe he can!

Greyhound
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Greyhound » 22 Mar 2015, 01:04

Numerous players from down under have taken a while to settle, even a season. Think fri night will give benny a lift and boost his confidence. Seems to me DP and the club are managing the settling in process Ok

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 22 Mar 2015, 01:24

Said since we signed him he is a rocks and diamonds player. He's been like that all his career, why would it be different now? He'll win you a game one week and have a stinker the next, better get used to it people.

Clubber
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Clubber » 22 Mar 2015, 12:43

The Firm wrote:Said since we signed him he is a rocks and diamonds player. He's been like that all his career, why would it be different now? He'll win you a game one week and have a stinker the next, better get used to it people.
Disagree. Earlier in his career yes he had a fair few mistakes in his game but he has been very consistent for a while now. Seems to me that the "rock or diamonds" tag (which I have to say I think is a pathetic and derogatory term) has stuck a people tend to get "used to" using the term. I think what Ben has learned over the years, his maturity as a player and our top coaching team will stand him in good stead in his time at Cas.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 23 Mar 2015, 00:51

Clubber wrote:
The Firm wrote:Said since we signed him he is a rocks and diamonds player. He's been like that all his career, why would it be different now? He'll win you a game one week and have a stinker the next, better get used to it people.
Disagree. Earlier in his career yes he had a fair few mistakes in his game but he has been very consistent for a while now. Seems to me that the "rock or diamonds" tag (which I have to say I think is a pathetic and derogatory term) has stuck a people tend to get "used to" using the term. I think what Ben has learned over the years, his maturity as a player and our top coaching team will stand him in good stead in his time at Cas.
Sorry but you are way off and obviously don't know much about what goes on in the nrl. Its fair to say he was a little better at Melbourne last year than previously but that was because he had no real responsibility as all the organising and attacking play was organised by Cronk, Smith and Slater. Before his last gasp signing he was heading for Japanese RU as nobody wanted him after his realease from the Bulldogs. He remains very hit and miss.

hard team to follow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by hard team to follow » 23 Mar 2015, 01:05

The Firm wrote:
Clubber wrote:
Sorry but you are way off and obviously don't know much about what goes on in the nrl. Its fair to say he was a little better at Melbourne last year than previously but that was because he had no real responsibility as all the organising and attacking play was organised by Cronk, Smith and Slater. Before his last gasp signing he was heading for Japanese RU as nobody wanted him after his realease from the Bulldogs. He remains very hit and miss.
What i been told he was very close to signing for cas year before but we opted for brett seymore which was a mistake but the games I watched him last year played very well in matter fact a lot storm fans did not wont to leave.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 23 Mar 2015, 09:24

The Firm wrote:
Clubber wrote:
This is absolutely spot on!!

Most people on her (I would guess??) - including me had never heard of him before we signed him. I took particular attention of watching him closely during the 4 nations games last year - and to be honest the games he has played for Cas so far have been no different to any of those games. He's not a creator, he's not a dazzler he's not even a player who backs everyone up ala Luke Dorn. What we've seen so far from him is what ya get folks, as The Firm says - get used to it because it ain't going to alter.

Clubber
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Clubber » 23 Mar 2015, 10:45

As they say time will tell and I'm confident in the payer that Ben Roberts will be for Cas on a consistent basis. I think it's very unfair to again label him in his first appearances. He's not had 80 mins yet and he is improving as he settles after a big move. I look forward to "getting used to" seeing him perform well. One thing for sure this supporter won't be waiting in the wings to slate him as soon as he mistakes any form of mistake.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 23 Mar 2015, 10:52

I'm sure the 2 D's danny and daryl will sort him out.
If we all remember rightly, when DP came into the club, rangi chase seemed uncoachable due to his off the cuff and do as I want attitude on the pitch. The last few months of that season DP seemed to have coached some structure into him.
So not is all lost with BR hence the time its taking him to bed in DP is trying to get him right for the structure we play.
Frustrating for the fans, yes. Let see how he goes another 4/5 weeks down the line.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 23 Mar 2015, 12:01

he was under strict orders last year under craig bellamy to just do the basics and give them a option on the left side they have blake green doing the left side this year hes being outstanding first three games,when ben played for samoa in four nations shackles were off and you saw the hit and miss side ,i still think under powell dispite difficult start he could play best footie of his career at cas
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 23 Mar 2015, 13:55

As a big time fan of the NRL who has been watching the game via Setanta for the last four to five years solid I have watched a fair bit of Ben Roberts over the years and whilst he isnt a Rangi Chase in terms of his ball handling he is a very solid defender and has always looked good carrying the ball into the line, he can kick and pass but this side of his game tends to be a bit hit and miss.

At the end of the day he has proved he can cause problems for defences that everyone who regularly watches the NRL will confirm are significantly better than you will regularly encounter in SL, and at international level in the 4 nations he was playing against the cream of the NRL and SL and still showed up well for his side and was one of their go to men.

So lets try and have a bit of perspective, and incidently I watched the game on TV where Gus Gould labelled BR rocks and diamonds as well ............... and that was in a different context to playing in the SL at Cas.

By the end of the season he will be a fans favourite ........That would be my guess.

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 28 Mar 2015, 00:25

Definitely a rock tonight ... never once ran at the line like last week & at this rate he'll never be anyone's favourite!
After showing more last week, just very disappointing again tonight ... we simply can't carry on with him not stepping up to the plate.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 28 Mar 2015, 00:32

I of the Tigers wrote:Definitely a rock tonight ... never once ran at the line like last week & at this rate he'll never be anyone's favourite!
After showing more last week, just very disappointing again tonight ... we simply can't carry on with him not stepping up to the plate.
Whilst he wasn't amazing he did what he needed was a tough ask playing behind a very slow play of the ball he was solid enough in defence and did what was needed got a nice kick away to releave some pressure imo. How's bout give the lad a chance. If he genuinely had a terrible game then maybe I'd see ur point but just because he didn't set the world alight give him a break.

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 28 Mar 2015, 00:37

World alight? If only ... Give him a chance? For how much longer? Yes, one relieving kick but then in addition passes both to ground, & forward. All enough to warrant DP dragging him off after no more than a 30 minute stint at the time when the game looked like it was getting away from us. Sorry, but he's not cutting it, another week passes by & there's no sign of things getting any better.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 28 Mar 2015, 01:00

Wasnt many who had a great game tonight

Thought gale,millo,milner were very good though

A wins a win
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 28 Mar 2015, 01:13

He was pretty poor tonight, but he'll probably be pretty good next game. As i keep saying thats what you are going to get from him.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 28 Mar 2015, 02:44

Seems to be made a scapegoat on here.

Our forwards got beat up in the 2nd half for a time but he did deliver an excellent kick downfield that was unlucky not to stay in. We couldn't get the fast play-the-balls - we weren't allowed to.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 28 Mar 2015, 05:37

the machine wrote:Wasnt many who had a great game tonight

Thought gale,millo,milner were very good though

A wins a win
It wasn't that sort of game, but I thought overall it was firstly a very good defensive performance taking account of there being a bit of work to do on the left.
Secondly I thought the way that we ground out the win at the end showed a maturity lacking a year ago

casfanfromcov
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casfanfromcov » 28 Mar 2015, 09:58

Haven't seen Roberts play yet due to all these Friday night games. He has played regulary in the NRL, so I am guessing he is taking time to adjust. According to a Warrington fan on their forum the only chance Daryl Clark has of fufilling his ambition of being in the NRL is to shave off his beard and apply to become a cheerleader. Maybe Clark is having similar problems to Roberts, just to put things into perspective