Updates On Today's Game....

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Updates On Today's Game....

Post by KB80 » 26 Jan 2015, 01:54

old cas lass wrote:Here's a controversial one.

What as carney done in the pre season games to warrant him a walk in for the wing spot.
Solomona will imo be on one wing and carney/clare the other.

My own personal opinion is let clare start and carney have to fight for a position.
Imo its been to easy for carney to just walk into a wing spot.
Think Carney went well today. Ran hard as always, some good offloads. Createdon't what should have been a try (she not and makmeekan, I think got in each others way) and put a couple of good hits in defense.

Allerton eskimo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Allerton eskimo » 26 Jan 2015, 07:25

Surprised at some of the negative comments. I thought the boys went well in general. Yes there are things to work on but widnes fed off penalties to get field position.

Cas looked strong and well drilled mostly.

I don't think the scoreboard really reflected the game. We had a fair few chances to post points and I'd be confident we'll take those opportunities once the league kicks off.

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 26 Jan 2015, 09:56

i think carney would have scored a couple of tries if shenton would pass to him. he would certainly have scored on half time but he didnt pass

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 26 Jan 2015, 10:20

We have to take the warm up match as just that, a warm up to the season. We looked for a large portion ready for the new season with a good intensity but when the changes came the other players take time to warm up to the game and you lose momentum for a while.

The angry prop we need is Jewitt but he's recovering from injury, Crossley can do this also as we've seen in the other matches. Boyle, Massey, Millo and Lynch do the hard graft with minimal errors and set the platform for the half backs. Boyle is coming back from a long term injury and Crossley is getting up to speed with the pace of the game.

Shenny was rusty in the first half yesterday but the second half he got a lot better. Carney for me is trying to come inside a little too much and leaving his side short on the left, at least one try was given away for Flynn I think it was. Roberts and Shenny were outnumbered on that side then.

Roberts has to change his game from the type he played at Storm. He was used to being a bit part player whilst the trio of Cam Smith, Slater and Cronk ran the game on both sides and Roberst only got an occasional touch. He needs to run the left side and will do with time. It takes confidence from the team and staff. He's got the talent and it won't be long before he's a major player for us.

Clare wouldn't have given the 40/20 Denny gave yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I think Denny is a real talent and needs time on the park, he'll get that in time, but he's not a starter yet. Injuries will get him in and then its up to him to stay in there. He probably will be the understudy to Dorn and Tansey.

Tansey has been real good like the start of last season but got dropped when Dorn came back from injury, then something happened and he didn't even rotate the position. I think this will be his chance to stake the fullback as his own but its up to him.

WE are really far ahead of our standards during last years pre-season and ready for the new season. The first win gains confidence and every home match should be 2 points. No one can beat us at home in my opinion.

Gomersal Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Gomersal Tiger » 26 Jan 2015, 10:51

Just a few thoughts on yesterday's game.

Dorn is not up for it yet and Tansey is a better option at the moment
3 tries scored against Carney's wing, looks vulnerable to me in defence and is not the force he was in attack. Consider Clare and that may gee Carney up.
Gibson is going well and pushing for a starting spot but he needs to learn how and when to pass
Roberts seems lazy at the moment.
Gale is going well but would welcome some attempts at 40/20on his kicking game.
All the forwards are doing great defensively but when was the last time you saw any one of them make a break or bust a tackle. I hope Ollie Holmes is not resting on the plaudits he got last year, not seen much from him so far. Millo is going to be a revelation this year if he stays clear of injury. Be interesting to see how Junior goes, didn't overly impress against Fev.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Jan 2015, 12:02

i dont think theres a need for doom and gloom the attack i agree is miss firing but im sure that will get sorted i would be more concerned were short a big top notch forward,in yesterdays game i thought we looked a lot better when webster finn and tansey came on id start tansey at full back now
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 26 Jan 2015, 12:24

I wasn't at the game but most of the comments come as no surprise to me when I see the attendance : a pathetic 2,141. Players just won't be up for a game in front of such a low number, & in winter conditions. We have too many good ball players for our offensive game not to kick in soon, DP will be happy for now that defensively our disciplines & structures are in place.
Dress it up however you want, but whoever made the decision on pricing structure for the game is living in cloud cuckoo land; you simply couldn't write some of the things that go on ... COYF

gale123

Post by gale123 » 26 Jan 2015, 12:45

I of the Tigers wrote:I wasn't at the game but most of the comments come as no surprise to me when I see the attendance : a pathetic 2,141. Players just won't be up for a game in front of such a low number, & in winter conditions. We have too many good ball players for our offensive game not to kick in soon, DP will be happy for now that defensively our disciplines & structures are in place.
Dress it up however you want, but whoever made the decision on pricing structure for the game is living in cloud cuckoo land; you simply couldn't write some of the things that go on ... COYF
So you didn't go to the game, then declare the attendance 'pathetic' real classy that is.

I was there and for the majority of the game we controlled it. barring a few errors that led to all of their tries, silly penalties the 40/20 incident from solomona and shenton/carney not kicking the ball dead for the last try which came from an interception on their line.

for those of you saying clare deserves a spot before solomona, i couldn't disagree more, the guy is electric and i am positive if he gets the game time will be our top scorer, 2 world class finishes from him yesterday runs the ball out strong decent under the high ball and rarely out of position. don't be surprised if carney doesn't end up in the centre and clare outside him.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Jan 2015, 12:48

Frankas wrote:It seems like dajavoo, at this time last season it was going to be a very long season according to some but we took a very un-fancied team and made a lot of the so called pro tipsters eat their words, if not for some dubious, officiating in the Saint's game we would have won the league shield.

We have only lost one player who is hard to replace, but we also lost one the year before, and replaced him with a surplus to requirement youngster, who flourished under the guidance of our coaching team, but it seems to be the Castleford way to only see negatives.
we wouldnt have beaten saints that day mate
Vince Lombardi

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 26 Jan 2015, 12:59

gale123 wrote:
I of the Tigers wrote:I wasn't at the game but most of the comments come as no surprise to me when I see the attendance : a pathetic 2,141. Players just won't be up for a game in front of such a low number, & in winter conditions. We have too many good ball players for our offensive game not to kick in soon, DP will be happy for now that defensively our disciplines & structures are in place.
So you didn't go to the game, then declare the attendance 'pathetic' real classy that is.

I was there and for the majority of the game we controlled it. barring a few errors that led to all of their tries, silly penalties the 40/20 incident from solomona and shenton/carney not kicking the ball dead for the last try which came from an interception on their line.

for those of you saying clare deserves a spot before solomona, i couldn't disagree more, the guy is electric and i am positive if he gets the game time will be our top scorer, 2 world class finishes from him yesterday runs the ball out strong decent under the high ball and rarely out of position. don't be surprised if carney doesn't end up in the centre and clare outside him.

Carneys positioning is appalling at centre,gibson will get his chance before carney plays centre
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 26 Jan 2015, 13:23

gale123 wrote:
I of the Tigers wrote:I wasn't at the game but most of the comments come as no surprise to me when I see the attendance : a pathetic 2,141.
Hard for me to go to the game when I'm actually in Portugal, & 2,142 would hardly have made it any less pathetic :roll:

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 26 Jan 2015, 13:35

Here's controversy for you; call me an idiot, but I'd sell Carney!

With his and Dicko's wages you'd get the all conquering forward that we need (and perhaps another back)
Audacter Et Sincere

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 26 Jan 2015, 13:39

gale123 wrote:So you didn't go to the game, then declare the attendance 'pathetic' real classy that is.
I think the point he is trying to make is that the club we are fault for the low attendance due to overpricing what is a non-competitive game. £10 for a child to attend a friendly when a season tickets works out at £6 for every game - whoever made that decision needs their head reading. Not only will it have affected the number of kids in the ground, but also the number of adults who chose to do something else with the family instead.
Friendlies should be 'kids go free' with a paying adult, I would think we would make more money than charging stupid prices.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 26 Jan 2015, 13:41

Just exactly who / where is this "big, nasty & aggressive" prop that keeps being mentioned??

I can't think of one in this country (who would also be available and willing to sign for Cas).

Not sure that this sort of player still actually exists.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Jan 2015, 13:43

i agree ten pound for a child was ridiculous as was a crowd of just over 2,000 for a competitve game with our strongest side out
Vince Lombardi

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 26 Jan 2015, 13:44

The Fox wrote:Just exactly who / where is this "big, nasty & aggressive" prop that keeps being mentioned??

I can't think of one in this country (who would also be available and willing to sign for Cas).

^^^this!!
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 26 Jan 2015, 13:45

I would hate to see carney playing against us, yes he has his faults as do many players, but he's got to be our first choice winger, I just wish he could get more running chances & less use as a battering ram. I though solamona went well yesterday & scoring 2 trys & having one disallowed for a forward pass which we didn't think was as we were dead in line with that pass so quite happy with him. I saw plenty in yesterdays game to give me hope for the new season, but we have work to do.

we also have several key players still injured & talking to Frankie Mariano before the game yesterday, hes going to be around two months away from playing following surgery on his wrist.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 26 Jan 2015, 13:59

The Fox wrote:Just exactly who / where is this "big, nasty & aggressive" prop that keeps being mentioned??

Just to add further to this:

The props at Cas this year are:

Lynch
Millington (has the squad number 10 - so must be seen as a prop by DP)
Jewitt
Boyle
Massey
Crossley
Maher (probably not ready this season but you never know)

That's seven, yes seven props!! Does anyone seriously believe that we will go out and sign another prop?????

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 26 Jan 2015, 14:04

Don't think necessarily a prop, perhaps a ball playing back rower who can cut teams up out wide (hope moors is that man)
Audacter Et Sincere

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 26 Jan 2015, 14:52

The Fox wrote:

Just to add further to this:

The props at Cas this year are:

Lynch
Millington (has the squad number 10 - so must be seen as a prop by DP)
Jewitt
Boyle
Massey
Crossley
Maher (probably not ready this season but you never know)

That's seven, yes seven props!! Does anyone seriously believe that we will go out and sign another prop?????
You also forgot wheeldon

Michael Jordan