No pleasing some people

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Stoke Bloke
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Erm......Stoke surprisingly. Thats the rough bit between Manchester and Birmingham.

No pleasing some people

Post by Stoke Bloke » 28 Nov 2014, 03:48

I wonder whether or not Im alone in my feelings following last seasons performance? Certainly there was terrific pride in seeing my team absolutely shove two fingers up to the big four loving triumvirate on Sky whilst playing some sublime rugby.

However I am left feeling slightly disappointed that we didnt get silverware in the cabinet, now admittedly we ran into a great team performance from Leeds at Wembley and were beaten by a better side but when Saints totally messed up the run in I honestly thought that the League Leaders Shield was ours.

It seemed that we never really recovered from that cup defeat and although the players tried to get the performance levels up it just really didnt happen and I feel that we were somewhat on a down when we had two monster fixtures in the play offs and I wasnt too surprised that we fell just short of more glory.

The awards that Castleford picked up were very definately deserved and why we didnt get Team of the Year is frankly a scandal but the flipside of losing Clarke, Huby, and to a lesser degree Ellis tempers even that enjoyment.

As to 2015 well I hope that we as fans dont let the great season we had last year create an air of expectancy that we cant fulfill. This year is going to be very tough and all games will be more evenly contested with every point being so vital. For me personally I will be happy with a top 7 finish and maybe another cup run and hopefully the team will get some real recognition from the powers that be (Ill not hold my breath) but whatever comes its going to be a rollercoaster as usual. So keep your arms and legs in the vehicle at all times and be loyal be loud and be Cas.

See you darn't Lane

Stokie
BE LOYAL BE LOUD BE CAS.

John 3:16

GThornton
League One Player
League One Player

Re: No pleasing some people

Post by GThornton » 28 Nov 2014, 08:16

At the end of last season teams were getting used to our style of play. We are sort of an unknown package again this coming season, but our defense should still be as good, so hopefully we can get off to a good start and aim for the top half of the table. I'd be delighted with another season like last season.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 28 Nov 2014, 10:00

I know this sounds a bit like 'conspiracy' theory but in addition to attending most matches, I recorded our televised matches and saw that early in the season we were playing the ball much quicker than we were in the matches after the cup semi. Review of recorded matches support this. Our set plays worked much better when we were allowed to play the ball quickly, before the defesive line could be fully set. Tiredness of our players could have been a factor in this but referees really did allow our opponents to lay on and slow us down at the play of the ball. Particular cases in point were the Cup final and the Warrington play off game. I believe that the coaches of these teams decided that slowing us down at the play the ball was the way to stop us and the referees allowed them to get away with it. Players like Peacock are very good at this tactic but my point is that, if the ref's had stopped this, Cas would have had more chance to play the exciting brand of rugby they did earlier in the season. I'm not saying that we would have won the Cup or the Play Offs but we would have had more chance of seeing the Classy Cas that got everybody talking about us up to that point. Let's hope that all concerned have learnt lessons from last season and we once again set the standard for attractive rugby in the coming season.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 28 Nov 2014, 10:04

orrsome wrote:I know this sounds a bit like 'conspiracy' theory but in addition to attending most matches, I recorded our televised matches and saw that early in the season we were playing the ball much quicker than we were in the matches after the cup semi. Review of recorded matches support this. Our set plays worked much better when we were allowed to play the ball quickly, before the defesive line could be fully set. Tiredness of our players could have been a factor in this but referees really did allow our opponents to lay on and slow us down at the play of the ball. Particular cases in point were the Cup final and the Warrington play off game. I believe that the coaches of these teams decided that slowing us down at the play the ball was the way to stop us and the referees allowed them to get away with it. Players like Peacock are very good at this tactic but my point is that, if the ref's had stopped this, Cas would have had more chance to play the exciting brand of rugby they did earlier in the season. I'm not saying that we would have won the Cup or the Play Offs but we would have had more chance of seeing the Classy Cas that got everybody talking about us up to that point. Let's hope that all concerned have learnt lessons from last season and we once again set the standard for attractive rugby in the coming season.
Maybe we should of found another way to play then???
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 28 Nov 2014, 10:14

Whether we like to admit it or not, imo we tailed off due to disharmony in the ranks & lack of 100% effort from some after all the announcements about those going elsewhere were made.
But next season is a new one & I think we're gearing up to be more dynamic & mobile as a unit ... it's gonna be the Ben & Luke show for me, hold on tight for a white knuckle ride! COYF

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 28 Nov 2014, 10:40

I of the Tigers wrote:Whether we like to admit it or not, imo we tailed off due to disharmony in the ranks & lack of 100% effort from some after all the announcements about those going elsewhere were made.

I agree 100%.
It all started going down hill at Wembley, we seem to lose energy and commitment .
I believe it unsettled not only the ones leaving but some of the ones staying.

Not sure who is out of contract next year 2015 or how many players are.
Surely we now have to keep this squad together for a number of year, its the only way we can get consistency.

No more mass leavers.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 28 Nov 2014, 11:31

GThornton wrote:At the end of last season teams were getting used to our style of play. We are sort of an unknown package again this coming season, but our defense should still be as good, so hopefully we can get off to a good start and aim for the top half of the table. I'd be delighted with another season like last season.
I think that we seemed to stop playing the style that won us so many games ie the 2nd phase of attack which we scored many tries from & also got us several controversially disallowed, why we stopped using that game play I don't know but Huby played a big part in spreading the ball in that play, was it because after he dislocated his elbow this prevented him passing the ball so well?

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 28 Nov 2014, 14:52

Snayd tailed off in a big way once he signed for Hull, and it looked like he was just gong through the motions, this showed at Wembley when he was taken off due to his lack luster performances. This isn't the first time we have gone off the boil after reaching the cup final, and it wont be the last.

Next season we might have lost two or three of our best players, a bit like the year before, but when you look at the team for next season, we have recruited very well, we have two very high quality halfbacks, Hauraki has been replaced by what for me his a better quality player in Moors, Huby has been replaced with Jewitt, and the squad depth looks good again, with a mixture of young up and coming players, and very experienced ones who will bring the others on very well plus we have what we could class has a new player in Boyle who didn't feature much last season.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 28 Nov 2014, 15:59

Add Clark and Huby, and add 2 more players of similar quality and we'd be challenging for the league next year.

Sadly we never quite get to the stage where we get those 2 extra players,
Audacter Et Sincere

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 28 Nov 2014, 16:59

It seems we have another player coming in, could he make the difference?

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 28 Nov 2014, 17:32

mart0042 wrote:It seems we have another player coming in, could he make the difference?
I wonder who that'll be as I thought we had completed our squad for 2015?

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 28 Nov 2014, 17:34

i think that the whole soap opera involving sneyds transfer request had a big part to play in us not winning anything. he was playing brilliantly until he signed for hull for this coming season and from that point on he seemed to lose interest in playing for us. im looking forward to this season now though lets get down there in numbers and support the boys even if we dont have the same sucess as last year

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 28 Nov 2014, 17:35

yorky wrote:
mart0042 wrote:It seems we have another player coming in, could he make the difference?
i hope its a good prop forward

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 28 Nov 2014, 17:40

dude wrote:
yorky wrote:
i hope its a good prop forward
Mcmeeken said in his interview today in YEP that their was still one more signing to come in
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 28 Nov 2014, 17:45

the machine wrote: Mcmeeken said in his interview today in YEP that their was still one more signing to come in
Did he actually say a signing, or a player to come back.
Shenton isn't back yet, so could mean him.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 28 Nov 2014, 17:59

could also mean Ryan boyle

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 28 Nov 2014, 18:07

old cas lass wrote:
the machine wrote: Mcmeeken said in his interview today in YEP that their was still one more signing to come in
Did he actually say a signing, or a player to come back.
Shenton isn't back yet, so could mean him.
“There’s just one more player to come in, but we’ve got nearly a full squad together and things are going well.”

my bad,could of swore he said signing,still read that as signing though as shenton/boyle already part of the squad

Michael Jordan

Ish.man
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ish.man » 28 Nov 2014, 18:07

Hope he is a monster - for me we will be better then last season, but no wins no crowd... That was evident last year. The amount of tries we had disallowed for obstruction etc could have gone even better.

The lads, club and coaching staff have more confidence now and are seasoned to a degree and have tasted what it's like to win. The appetite is there don't you worry about that top 7 na top 3 watch this space.

Swift and bold.
Train hard, fight easy (simple)

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 28 Nov 2014, 18:22

yorky wrote:could also mean Ryan boyle

I think boyle is back.
I read somewhere that the only player missing is Michael shenton, that came from powell.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 28 Nov 2014, 19:05

Steve Gill told me that we have a possible new signing when he rang to thank me for buying my season ticket - Not a prop!