Magic Weekend

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
big-fish89
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Magic Weekend

Post by big-fish89 » 20 Nov 2014, 00:14

What about magic weekend being a round of challenge cup games say the last 16 for instance??
BLEEDING BLACK AND AMBER SINCE 1989
LOYAL LOUD AND PROUD
2O12 CHALLENGE CUP FORUM PREDICTIONS WINNER
OUR CAS OUR CLUB OUR COMMITMENT

40/20
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by 40/20 » 20 Nov 2014, 06:29

I'm working in Durham about 15 miles away from Newcastle it takes 1h30 to travel and that's with the 50 miles an hour speed restrictions. If It would have been Manchester then the closest teams should close out the weekend but with newcastle no one's that close

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Nov 2014, 10:45

I had to read that twice. First time I thought you were saying it took 1hr 30m from Durham to Newcastle and was thinking 'forget it'!

40/20
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by 40/20 » 21 Nov 2014, 06:18

It's about 15 miles durham to Newcastle. Although I'm sure the traffic will be heavy on way home I wouldn't have thought that many other fans would stay to the end. It's quite easy to get to straight down a1 till you get to Newcastle then find your self parking.

viva brad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by viva brad » 21 Nov 2014, 10:47

Adelaide Tigurrrr! wrote:
Bengal wrote:I have been no great lover of the RFL over the years and still aren't, but sometimes they just cannot win whatever they do. It's right what some say now, that our fans will moan whatever. Firstly someone has to play at 5.30 pm on the Sunday and why should it not be us. Bear in mind this is our eighth Magic Weekend and we have never ever played the last game on the Sunday. Others have had to do it, and so we should take our turn, when it's due.

Secondly like it or not, Wakey is a great fixture for us. Sure we could beat the likes of Leeds and Huddersfield, but we could also lose. I do not underestimate Wakey and on their day they show great spirit, and can beat most teams, but lets not beat about the bush, we have far more chance of beating them than any of the others, with the possible exception of Widnes.

The indisputable fact, is that next season SL is dfefinitely going to be the most competitive it's been for a long time, and it's vital we stay out of the bottom four and get as high as possible. Just because we finished fourth this year, it's not a foregone conclusion we cannot come in the bottom four. We finished above Leeds and Warrington, but they could easily reverse that next season. Four of the others teams that finished below us, namely both Hull clubs, Catalans and Salford have all recruited very well and should improve and be much better than last year. I am confident we will have a good season again, but without last seasons two chopping blocks, it's going to be much more condensed and much tougher. Any helping hand is welcome, and the fixture against Wakey is a helping hand whichever way you look at it. If we had been lined up against Saints or Leeds, I will have positively guaranteed you that some fans would have moaned and alleged that the RFL were trying to stop us in our tracks, by jacking us up against powerful opposition. As I say I am no lover of them and they have has a lot to answer for over the years, but sometimes they just can't win, whatever they do.

I have only been to one Magic Weekend in 2009, but I am going to this one. I have been to Newcastle a few times, it's a great city that I have enjoyed. and for me an excellent location.
:clap: well said Bengal. Like you i could just imagine the outcry of a conspiracy against us if we had been drawn to play Saints, Wigan or Wire.

And I can't believe those who are saying they will not go because they will be late back. For the who live around Cas the journey is about 2 and a half hours. So if the game finishes around 7.30 and they get away by 8.00 they should be home by 10.30. Lets add in an extra 30 minutes forbthose on the coach to get home, give their kids a cup of ovaltine and read them a bedtime story ....... I didn't realise so many parents in Cas usually had their kids tucked up in bed every school night by 9pm!!,

P.S. I do realise that a small minority of supporters live further south than Cas so their journey will obviously take longer.

With the exception of the last magic weekend i have been to every one. It's not just the journey home its the fact you have been away either all day or all weekend. A lot of familes do attend the magic weekend they have to get home get the kids to bed get sorted for the next day for school or work etc. If the games had been played over the bank hol weekend it would not be an issue.

In previous years the first game has kicked off early on the sunday around 12 so why not do this again. Meaning people will arrive home an hour earlier.

I have travelled all over the uk to watch Cas and i will continue to do so however i can appreciate that people will decide not to go to Newcastle due to the distance and time they will arrive home.

andrew spencer
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by andrew spencer » 24 Nov 2014, 14:35

Could the fixtures not be varied a bit - it's a little boring seeing the same format year on year.

Why don't Sky do a big season launch in Feb and draw the fixtures out - razamataz -- Game One (drum roll and fanfare) ---- Game Two -- and so on.

Is this feasible or have I enjoyed my week off work last week too much?

cvtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cvtiger » 24 Nov 2014, 15:08

The excessive drinking last year at the Etihad was a bit too much for me coupled with seeing class 1 drugs being taken in the toilets I was in two minds about attending this years weekend of Magic. No need for either of them and I think it will only be worse in the reputed party town that is Newcastle. Its the sofa for me this year.
‘What words of wisdom will Dennis share this time...?'

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 24 Nov 2014, 19:41

Think it should be taken from the previous seasons final table
1 v 2
3 v 4
5 v 6
7 v 8
9 v 10 (1 v 2)
11 v 12 (3 v 4/5)

Promoted teams in brackets
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 24 Nov 2014, 20:04

andrew spencer wrote:Could the fixtures not be varied a bit - it's a little boring seeing the same format year on year.

Why don't Sky do a big season launch in Feb and draw the fixtures out - razamataz -- Game One (drum roll and fanfare) ---- Game Two -- and so on.

Is this feasible or have I enjoyed my week off work last week too much?
Because that would require a little work and imagination, cant be having that lol
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 25 Nov 2014, 13:44

jackknife wrote:Think it should be taken from the previous seasons final table
1 v 2
3 v 4
5 v 6
7 v 8
9 v 10 (1 v 2)
11 v 12 (3 v 4/5)

Promoted teams in brackets
The problem is that rewards mediocrity and gives the highest finishers, the hardest games.
The only fair way would be a draw as another poster suggested, although as I've said previously, I think the magic weekend is a waste of space in the rugby league calendar and would much prefer the old Yorkshire v Lancashire fixture, if only we could get the hype that the Aussies get for their State of Origin series, especially if it was seen as the next step to an international cap for the players taking part.
Danny Boy

cas oakland raider

Post by cas oakland raider » 25 Nov 2014, 16:30

i think it will be a cracking weekend in Newcastle for them who like to enjoy them self s. Sick off people wingding if you don't want to go don't go and stop at home stop boring people . :-({|=

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 25 Nov 2014, 19:41

cas oakland raider wrote:i think it will be a cracking weekend in Newcastle for them who like to enjoy them self s. Sick off people wingding if you don't want to go don't go and stop at home stop boring people . :-({|=
This ^^^^
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 25 Nov 2014, 20:27

cas oakland raider wrote:i think it will be a cracking weekend in Newcastle for them who like to enjoy them self s. Sick off people wingding if you don't want to go don't go and stop at home stop boring people . :-({|=
I think it will be a cracking weekend full stop. I hope as many Cas fans as possible make the trip-the club keep every penny from tickets sales as sold by the club. Couldn't understand the many Cas fans who were queuing to buy tickets at the Etihad on the day. Those sales go to the RFL and not the club.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

Ish.man
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ish.man » 28 Nov 2014, 17:57

Casmania wrote:
I think it will be a cracking weekend full stop. I hope as many Cas fans as possible make the trip-the club keep every penny from tickets sales as sold by the club. Couldn't understand the many Cas fans who were queuing to buy tickets at the Etihad on the day. Those sales go to the RFL and not the club.
I do but it's frigging shame we r last bought.!
Train hard, fight easy (simple)