Magic Weekend

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Magic Weekend

Post by old cas lass » 19 Nov 2014, 16:40

jackknife wrote:Id rather cas win a boring game than lose a thriller every single week of the season but thats just me

Same.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 19 Nov 2014, 17:02

jackknife wrote:Id rather cas win a boring game than lose a thriller every single week of the season but thats just me
Fair enough and me too in all honesty, im clearly on my own with this magic weekend game though lol
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 19 Nov 2014, 17:15

the machine wrote: Fair enough and me too in all honesty, im clearly on my own with this magic weekend game though lol
No machine I'm with ya ... on paper at least the Cas / Wakey fixture is now possibly the biggest mismatch at MW & hence unfair to everyone (except us!) ... the fixtures have some local derbies but that isn't & can't be case for everyone (as Catalan have to play someone) ... so for me the fairer way would be to have 1st -v- 2nd; 3rd -v- 4th, etc., from previous season. We'd have Hudds on that basis, with Wakey -v- Hull.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 19 Nov 2014, 17:56

I of the Tigers wrote:
the machine wrote: Fair enough and me too in all honesty, im clearly on my own with this magic weekend game though lol
No machine I'm with ya ... on paper at least the Cas / Wakey fixture is now possibly the biggest mismatch at MW & hence unfair to everyone (except us!) ... the fixtures have some local derbies but that isn't & can't be case for everyone (as Catalan have to play someone) ... so for me the fairer way would be to have 1st -v- 2nd; 3rd -v- 4th, etc., from previous season. We'd have Hudds on that basis, with Wakey -v- Hull.
Funny, butlLocal derbies have a habit of turning form (and class) on their head. They owe us one at the moment

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 19 Nov 2014, 18:02

I of the Tigers wrote:
Im just bored of spending hundreds for magic weekend to watch us play same team every year, justbthink refreshing the fixtures would of brought abit of extra enthusiasm from the fans
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Wf10Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Wf10Tiger » 19 Nov 2014, 20:49

What would you all suggest to freshen magic weekend up? I personally think a nines tournament like the NRL. If done correctly would be a fantastic weekend and would attract new fans to the game

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 19 Nov 2014, 21:05

Personally I would scrap Magic weekend, it doesnt appear to get the locals interested as it was intended to do (look at Salfords gates and what happened in Wales) Do we think Gateshead will benefit from a massive influx of new support?
It's a bit of a showing up when 3 or 4 games can only half ill a stadium and really total attendances for similar games would probably be bigger. On a selfish note if we are going to play anyone, I would rather play Wakey as much better chance of beating them, but as we know they do sometimes defy the formbook!
Danny Boy

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 19 Nov 2014, 21:10

Wf10Tiger wrote:What would you all suggest to freshen magic weekend up? I personally think a nines tournament like the NRL. If done correctly would be a fantastic weekend and would attract new fans to the game
The nines idea has been bandied about for awhile and I honestly dont think it would work over here, magic struggles as it is and cant see attendance any higher for a meaningless mini comp, just my opinion though

Michael Jordan

Wf10Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Wf10Tiger » 19 Nov 2014, 21:16

the machine wrote:
Wf10Tiger wrote:What would you all suggest to freshen magic weekend up? I personally think a nines tournament like the NRL. If done correctly would be a fantastic weekend and would attract new fans to the game
The nines idea has been bandied about for awhile and I honestly dont think it would work over here, magic struggles as it is and cant see attendance any higher for a meaningless mini comp, just my opinion though
Maybe not, if like NRL somebody put up a big prize pot at the end it could work. I think they should give it ago and if it flops they can sack it off. I'd also like to see Yorkshire v Lancashire given a go again. Although I'll admit I wasn't really into rugby much when it was last on so I'm insure what people thought of it

papa
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by papa » 19 Nov 2014, 21:43

the machine wrote:
How about a nines - with league points at stake?
That might change the dynamics in a lot of the fixtures?
If winning isn't everything why do they keep score?

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 19 Nov 2014, 22:00

Would love a yorkshire vs lancashire series again, but it would need the players to really commit to it for it to work not like the exiles were everyone get withdrawing

a big prize is a good incentive for the nines but if we struggle to get a sponsor for the sl whos going to put cash up for a 2 day tournament?? Id love it to work and really want the game to expand but there just isnt enough money in the game over here atm

Michael Jordan

Wf10Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Wf10Tiger » 19 Nov 2014, 22:10

the machine wrote:Would love a yorkshire vs lancashire series again, but it would need the players to really commit to it for it to work not like the exiles were everyone get withdrawing

a big prize is a good incentive for the nines but if we struggle to get a sponsor for the sl whos going to put cash up for a 2 day tournament?? Id love it to work and really want the game to expand but there just isnt enough money in the game over here atm
Sky or maybe Koukash but your right it would be a challenge. The boats been missed for expanding the game I feel. Should have rammed RL down people's throats after the World Cup. Magic weekend could be better served as the first round of super eight games. I think that would have really worked

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 19 Nov 2014, 22:18

After thensuccess ofnthe world cup the rfl should of been promoting the game to the hilt not sitting back assuming it would just happen

Michael Jordan

Adelaide Tigurrrr!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Adelaide Tigurrrr! » 19 Nov 2014, 22:30

Bengal wrote:I have been no great lover of the RFL over the years and still aren't, but sometimes they just cannot win whatever they do. It's right what some say now, that our fans will moan whatever. Firstly someone has to play at 5.30 pm on the Sunday and why should it not be us. Bear in mind this is our eighth Magic Weekend and we have never ever played the last game on the Sunday. Others have had to do it, and so we should take our turn, when it's due.

Secondly like it or not, Wakey is a great fixture for us. Sure we could beat the likes of Leeds and Huddersfield, but we could also lose. I do not underestimate Wakey and on their day they show great spirit, and can beat most teams, but lets not beat about the bush, we have far more chance of beating them than any of the others, with the possible exception of Widnes.

The indisputable fact, is that next season SL is dfefinitely going to be the most competitive it's been for a long time, and it's vital we stay out of the bottom four and get as high as possible. Just because we finished fourth this year, it's not a foregone conclusion we cannot come in the bottom four. We finished above Leeds and Warrington, but they could easily reverse that next season. Four of the others teams that finished below us, namely both Hull clubs, Catalans and Salford have all recruited very well and should improve and be much better than last year. I am confident we will have a good season again, but without last seasons two chopping blocks, it's going to be much more condensed and much tougher. Any helping hand is welcome, and the fixture against Wakey is a helping hand whichever way you look at it. If we had been lined up against Saints or Leeds, I will have positively guaranteed you that some fans would have moaned and alleged that the RFL were trying to stop us in our tracks, by jacking us up against powerful opposition. As I say I am no lover of them and they have has a lot to answer for over the years, but sometimes they just can't win, whatever they do.

I have only been to one Magic Weekend in 2009, but I am going to this one. I have been to Newcastle a few times, it's a great city that I have enjoyed. and for me an excellent location.
:clap: well said Bengal. Like you i could just imagine the outcry of a conspiracy against us if we had been drawn to play Saints, Wigan or Wire.

And I can't believe those who are saying they will not go because they will be late back. For the who live around Cas the journey is about 2 and a half hours. So if the game finishes around 7.30 and they get away by 8.00 they should be home by 10.30. Lets add in an extra 30 minutes forbthose on the coach to get home, give their kids a cup of ovaltine and read them a bedtime story ....... I didn't realise so many parents in Cas usually had their kids tucked up in bed every school night by 9pm!!,

P.S. I do realise that a small minority of supporters live further south than Cas so their journey will obviously take longer.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Nov 2014, 00:05

It certainly will. 7 of us were booked into an hotel but it's looking very unlikely now

big-fish89
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by big-fish89 » 20 Nov 2014, 00:14

What about magic weekend being a round of challenge cup games say the last 16 for instance??
BLEEDING BLACK AND AMBER SINCE 1989
LOYAL LOUD AND PROUD
2O12 CHALLENGE CUP FORUM PREDICTIONS WINNER
OUR CAS OUR CLUB OUR COMMITMENT

40/20
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by 40/20 » 20 Nov 2014, 06:29

I'm working in Durham about 15 miles away from Newcastle it takes 1h30 to travel and that's with the 50 miles an hour speed restrictions. If It would have been Manchester then the closest teams should close out the weekend but with newcastle no one's that close

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Nov 2014, 10:45

I had to read that twice. First time I thought you were saying it took 1hr 30m from Durham to Newcastle and was thinking 'forget it'!

40/20
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by 40/20 » 21 Nov 2014, 06:18

It's about 15 miles durham to Newcastle. Although I'm sure the traffic will be heavy on way home I wouldn't have thought that many other fans would stay to the end. It's quite easy to get to straight down a1 till you get to Newcastle then find your self parking.

viva brad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by viva brad » 21 Nov 2014, 10:47

Adelaide Tigurrrr! wrote:
Bengal wrote:I have been no great lover of the RFL over the years and still aren't, but sometimes they just cannot win whatever they do. It's right what some say now, that our fans will moan whatever. Firstly someone has to play at 5.30 pm on the Sunday and why should it not be us. Bear in mind this is our eighth Magic Weekend and we have never ever played the last game on the Sunday. Others have had to do it, and so we should take our turn, when it's due.

Secondly like it or not, Wakey is a great fixture for us. Sure we could beat the likes of Leeds and Huddersfield, but we could also lose. I do not underestimate Wakey and on their day they show great spirit, and can beat most teams, but lets not beat about the bush, we have far more chance of beating them than any of the others, with the possible exception of Widnes.

The indisputable fact, is that next season SL is dfefinitely going to be the most competitive it's been for a long time, and it's vital we stay out of the bottom four and get as high as possible. Just because we finished fourth this year, it's not a foregone conclusion we cannot come in the bottom four. We finished above Leeds and Warrington, but they could easily reverse that next season. Four of the others teams that finished below us, namely both Hull clubs, Catalans and Salford have all recruited very well and should improve and be much better than last year. I am confident we will have a good season again, but without last seasons two chopping blocks, it's going to be much more condensed and much tougher. Any helping hand is welcome, and the fixture against Wakey is a helping hand whichever way you look at it. If we had been lined up against Saints or Leeds, I will have positively guaranteed you that some fans would have moaned and alleged that the RFL were trying to stop us in our tracks, by jacking us up against powerful opposition. As I say I am no lover of them and they have has a lot to answer for over the years, but sometimes they just can't win, whatever they do.

I have only been to one Magic Weekend in 2009, but I am going to this one. I have been to Newcastle a few times, it's a great city that I have enjoyed. and for me an excellent location.
:clap: well said Bengal. Like you i could just imagine the outcry of a conspiracy against us if we had been drawn to play Saints, Wigan or Wire.

And I can't believe those who are saying they will not go because they will be late back. For the who live around Cas the journey is about 2 and a half hours. So if the game finishes around 7.30 and they get away by 8.00 they should be home by 10.30. Lets add in an extra 30 minutes forbthose on the coach to get home, give their kids a cup of ovaltine and read them a bedtime story ....... I didn't realise so many parents in Cas usually had their kids tucked up in bed every school night by 9pm!!,

P.S. I do realise that a small minority of supporters live further south than Cas so their journey will obviously take longer.

With the exception of the last magic weekend i have been to every one. It's not just the journey home its the fact you have been away either all day or all weekend. A lot of familes do attend the magic weekend they have to get home get the kids to bed get sorted for the next day for school or work etc. If the games had been played over the bank hol weekend it would not be an issue.

In previous years the first game has kicked off early on the sunday around 12 so why not do this again. Meaning people will arrive home an hour earlier.

I have travelled all over the uk to watch Cas and i will continue to do so however i can appreciate that people will decide not to go to Newcastle due to the distance and time they will arrive home.