Our Best Team

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Our Best Team

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Nov 2014, 13:57

i carnt remember roger millward ever playing on wing my memory not what it was having said that tho
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 06 Nov 2014, 14:06

tigerfeat wrote:i carnt remember roger millward ever playing on wing my memory not what it was having said that tho
He couldn't get in at half back very often, as there was always Hardisty there, plus Edwards, who was also a natural stand off, that's why the club sold him to HKR for £6,000, although it was a lot in those days, it still wasn't nearly enough, wish we could have held onto him and the 70's might have been a much better time for us.
Danny Boy

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » 06 Nov 2014, 14:45

I remember seeing Roger Millward at Hunslet in the Yorkshire cup. He played on the left wing and scored a hatrick.
Does anybody remember the BBC covering the under seventeens on Sunday mornings. Cas had Roger as the top star with Dougy Walton and Ronnie Willet and I think a skinny Ian Stenton who developed into a top class centre
I can't see any player pushing Chuck out of the team. All the alternatives are very good players, but none could lace Hardisty's boots. In my opinion our greatest ever player.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 06 Nov 2014, 14:51

From my watch (about 92 onwards)

Steady
Ellis
Blackmore
Eager
Gay ( I thought he was outstanding on the wing in defence)
Orr ( maybe botica in his prime)
Ford
Crooks
Raper
Sampson
Fritz
Mike smith
Nikau

Vowels
Bartrim
Huby
Nutley

Anglo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Anglo » 06 Nov 2014, 15:12

I'm not a Cas fan and I know he probably pre-dates some fans' first memories but I'm amazed Steve Norton hasn't even made the bench in any of the nominations so far, terrific player he was.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 06 Nov 2014, 15:31

I suggested Norton or Crooks to replace Lidner. I agree, great loss.

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 06 Nov 2014, 23:37

for those who have picked a team from the 90's to now im suprised none have got mitchel sergent not even on bench. thought he was different class when he was fully fit. i loved watching tutta too proper tough guy

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 07 Nov 2014, 02:27

Was a big fan of Brenda and hepi both small in statue but big men. I will never forget what hepi did to Morley . You could also make a team of men that were great but not when they played for cas. Newlove, bj Mather, botica, junior paramore, gutenbeil, Gilmore. To name a few

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 07 Nov 2014, 15:20

Duplicate
Last edited by Bengal on 07 Nov 2014, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 07 Nov 2014, 15:21

Grumpy wrote:I expect many will disagree, especially our younger fans, but in My opinion this would be our best Team of all time:-
Derek Edwards
Richie Blackmore
Arthur Atkinson
John Joyner
Justin Carney
Alan Hardisty
Roger Millward
Kevin Ward
Kevin Beardsmore
Brian Lockwood
Bill Bryant
Bob Lidner
Malcolm Rielly
Subs. Keith Hepwoth, Bruce Burton, Denis Hartley, Tawera Nikau.
Near misses were Juicey Adams from the thirties. Adrian Vowles, Tony Kemp, Kenny Pie and Denzyl Webster from the fifties and others too numerous to mention
I'd love to see others opinions on this.
Just seen this post Grumpy. An excellent selection, I may add. Have not had time to really think about it, but I could not possibly argue with numbers 1 to 7. Winger is the only position in the whole history of the club where we have never had a world class player, we have had them in every single other position. However contrary to what people think, Blackmore actually initially made his name on the wing before moving to centre. His first internationals for NZ were on the wing, and he would be better there than anyone else we have had. As well as Singe did for us I could not have him in, as he was too rash and a liability, when the heat was on. I can well remember him gifting Wigan a try in the 1994 Premiership final at Old Trafford through a rash act. You could maybe argure the same about Carney, but for me he is the better player.

I would have to think about things before choosing my pack and subs, but again there is not a lot to argue against apart from Bob Lindner, who did not play long enough for us and in his second stint came over merely for the holiday and hardly broke sweat. Your no 13 is an absolute shoo in and numbers 8,9,10 and 11 are all definite viable candidates, as are the subs, apart from the fact there are two half backs there. Steve Norton and Lee Crooks are two off the top of my head who would also have to come into calculations, and as great as players as Heppy and Burton were you could not really have two half backs on the bench. Apart from that though a very very good selection in my opinion.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 07 Nov 2014, 17:56

As we know we all agree to disagree, wouldn't like to choose a team out of all the great players we have had but, I would have all our local lads in my team . Remember when I was converted from soccer to rugby and going to watch on Friday nights in the sixties, blokes arguing who should be fullback, Edwards or Bedford , and me thinking Edwards is an International with a tour of Australia under his belt, it's a no brainer. When I queried this I was told the finer points of being a fullback by guys who favoured Bedford. Just seems like seasons past where each and every one of us supporters can't agree who should be playing . Good job we have coaches who have the responsibility to pick the team ( then that's another question why did he pick him instead of him) oh well roll on next season and another debate.

GaryBelcher

Post by GaryBelcher » 07 Nov 2014, 18:11

Got to agree with Gary Belcher,the guy oozed class on and off the field and what many people don't know is that Gary did get injured and returned his contract money to the club on leaving.That alone shows what a legend the man was.

GaryBelcher

Post by GaryBelcher » 07 Nov 2014, 18:36

Ok what about our best team made up solely of imports? A tricky one so here's mine
Gary Belcher
Jamie Sandy
Colin Scott
Chris Johns
Shane Horo
Steve Robinson
Gary Freeman
Danny Nutley
Aaron Raper
Grant Millington
Ronnie Gibbs
Brett Atkins
Ian French
subs Tawera Nikau,Bob Lindner,Tony Kemp,Richie Blackmore
The list could go on,sure i've missed a few be interesting to see what you come up with!Good luck!!!

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 07 Nov 2014, 19:58

Overseas Cas team from my watch:

Belcher
Sandy
Eager
Blackmore
Carney
Kemp (Chase if he counts)
Healey
Sargent
Raper
Nutley
Fritz
Nikau
Vowels

Michael Smith
Millington
Bartrim
Hauraki

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » 07 Nov 2014, 21:20

These opinions are fascinating, but who would be the coach? The obvious one is our current coach Sir Powell, but what about Malcolm Reilly OBE who took us to cup final success or Rocky Turner who also won the cup and got us to the championship final or Stuart Raper (who I wouldn't have as he left us for the Pie men.) Maybe Terry Matterson who did very well on limited resourses.
Harry Street was a good coach and must be in with a shout by our older fans, he put the class in Cas in the 60's and only left after falling out with the directors over a car parking space (allegedly).

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 07 Nov 2014, 23:08

Its interesting seeing the various line ups from different generations both young and not so young!

My knock woild be

Belcher by a squeak over Steady
Plange
Joyner
Blackmore
Carney - over Singe as he can make his own opportunities. Singe had a lot to thank Ritchie Blackmore for
Kemp
Ford
Ward
Clark - Kev Beardmore was close shout. Clarky will be number one in the world in a few year
Crooks
Gibbs
Nikau
Reilly

Graham Steadman Mike Smith Mitchell Sargent Barry Johnson.

donny Steve

Post by donny Steve » 08 Nov 2014, 20:15

Based on this season's signings what do we think will be our starting 1st team / the best 13?

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 08 Nov 2014, 21:01

donny Steve wrote:Based on this season's signings what do we think will be our starting 1st team / the best 13?
Dorn
Carney
Shenton
Webster
Clare
Roberts
Gale
Lynch
Milner
Boyle
Holmes
Moors
Massey

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 08 Nov 2014, 21:04

TT Tiger wrote:
donny Steve wrote:Based on this season's signings what do we think will be our starting 1st team / the best 13?
Dorn
Carney
Shenton
Webster
Clare
Roberts
Gale
Lynch
Milner
Boyle
Holmes
Moors
Massey
Millo over massey for me
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 08 Nov 2014, 21:22

Massey won't be near the starting line up unless there are injuries.