Centre?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Bigcurt
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Centre?

Post by Bigcurt » 27 Oct 2014, 10:41

laner wrote:
TheSheriff wrote:Solomona
Carney
Shenton
McMeeken
Clare

Would be my first choice back line.
Agree 100% I to mentioned this line up in a previous post would like to see this line up in the pre season games and would hope that if DP does like last pre season playing squad matches behind closed gates this is a formation he would try
Our back line has been pretty good this year, McMeeken has been playing second row and Solomona has shown nothing from what I have seen to put him in front of Dorn or Tansey at full back yet. They are both young and learning but I can't see them being in the first choice back line just yet. A good pre season and working with a competitive squad and new coaches will hopefully see them fighting hard for places but they will have to work hard to be regular starters early on I think. Hopefully when they get the chance they take it because the competition for places certainly helped us this year.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 27 Oct 2014, 16:31

Dorn
Carney
Shenton
Webster
Clare

Would be my starting back line

Mcmeekan Channing Solomona Dixon n the rest pushing for places ready to step in if anyones not preforming or gets a knock

Lots of options for DP to play with next season
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 28 Oct 2014, 00:34

i'll go with you there for the time being jacknife but i think channing is improving all the time and was unfortunate with the injury last season just when he was coming good.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 28 Oct 2014, 16:33

Yea i like channing aswel but agree with others that hes just to small, surely dp can see that n has asked him to try bulk up a bit
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 28 Oct 2014, 16:58

jackknife wrote:Yea i like channing aswel but agree with others that hes just to small, surely dp can see that n has asked him to try bulk up a bit
he could bulk up all he likes but he cant put 6" more length on his legs :roll:

TigerB33
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TigerB33 » 28 Oct 2014, 17:46

I often think Channing comes under a lot of unfair criticism. the lad gives 100% every time he`s on the pitch and his height is used against him a lot.

if he works on some aspects of his game he'll be fine. Tommy Leuluai a similar build but solid in defence. Carney is similar in height (maybe a little taller) but has adjusted his catching style to ensure if/when he's out jumped his reach means he gets the ball before the opposition anyway.

these things can be taught if Channing is willing to learn and from what I've seen he's come on loads since joining. One of our last home games he came on of the bench and in his first set made three great tackles keeping the opposition in their 10/15m. if he walked around with his hands on his hips and coasted through games I could understand his criticism. show the lad some support and he might turn into a top player

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 28 Oct 2014, 17:55

TigerB33 wrote:I often think Channing comes under a lot of unfair criticism. the lad gives 100% every time he`s on the pitch and his height is used against him a lot.

if he works on some aspects of his game he'll be fine. Tommy Leuluai a similar build but solid in defence. Carney is similar in height (maybe a little taller) but has adjusted his catching style to ensure if/when he's out jumped his reach means he gets the ball before the opposition anyway.

these things can be taught if Channing is willing to learn and from what I've seen he's come on loads since joining. One of our last home games he came on of the bench and in his first set made three great tackles keeping the opposition in their 10/15m. if he walked around with his hands on his hips and coasted through games I could understand his criticism. show the lad some support and he might turn into a top player
Spot on, got the heart of a lion and one of most enthusiastic players in our team
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 28 Oct 2014, 18:54

I really like Channing, but I am not convinced centre is his best position. I believe he was a more than useful fly half in union before he started with the Broncos. He has great feet and has plenty of spark. maybe a tilt at 9 would be better for him? Either way I think he is a good player to have in the squad.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 28 Oct 2014, 21:15

daytona wrote:I really like Channing, but I am not convinced centre is his best position. I believe he was a more than useful fly half in union before he started with the Broncos. He has great feet and has plenty of spark. maybe a tilt at 9 would be better for him? Either way I think he is a good player to have in the squad.
my thoughts exactly
Nippy round the ruck with good feet
Hes good a good technique in defence too
Tiring forwards wont fancy defending a fleet footed stepping player on his toes

Personally i prefer my centres 6ft plus for presence

A good big un will always beat a good little un.

Wf10Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Wf10Tiger » 28 Oct 2014, 22:32

I think a centre will be signed for the 2016 season for sure. There are quite a few centres off contract. Personally if Dean Collis gets fit I think he would be a great fit. I do think we need a centre. Webster has had his injuries and is getting old and while Channimg and Gibson don't lack effort i don't think they are the standard we need them to be week in week out. Haven't really seen anything of McMeekan to be able to comment.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 29 Oct 2014, 00:27

ERG2012 wrote:
daytona wrote:I really like Channing, but I am not convinced centre is his best position. I believe he was a more than useful fly half in union before he started with the Broncos. He has great feet and has plenty of spark. maybe a tilt at 9 would be better for him? Either way I think he is a good player to have in the squad.
my thoughts exactly
Nippy round the ruck with good feet
Hes good a good technique in defence too
Tiring forwards wont fancy defending a fleet footed stepping player on his toes

Personally i prefer my centres 6ft plus for presence

A good big un will always beat a good little un.

and ben flower did. :shock:
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 29 Oct 2014, 00:31

Channing will tackle anybody regardless of size, great defensive player but seems to lack that line breaking speed. Would like to see him succeed at the club, my opinion is he is better than Gibson. Possibly another 9???