Ben Roberts

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
viva brad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Ben Roberts

Post by viva brad » 09 Nov 2014, 09:38

Scored today

Wf10Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Wf10Tiger » 09 Nov 2014, 11:51

Decent try aswell, stepped a couple of players and powered through

Adelaide Tigurrrr!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Adelaide Tigurrrr! » 09 Nov 2014, 22:30

Yep took his try well and showed he can step off either foot. Also linked up play to get both backs and forwards moving. He looks a good signing.

But he made a crucial error when it was 18-32 with about 15 minutes left. Just after Samoa scored they made a break and were 5m out they had a 2 man overlap on the right but Roberts went left and put in a short kick for himself kicked that went dead. The commentator said "thats what you get with Roberts".

Also in the last minute he picked up a loose ball on his own 20m had a clear field ahead but was easily caught by a second rower.

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 10 Nov 2014, 00:13

Adelaide Tigurrrr! wrote:Yep took his try well and showed he can step off either foot. Also linked up play to get both backs and forwards moving. He looks a good signing.

But he made a crucial error when it was 18-32 with about 15 minutes left. Just after Samoa scored they made a break and were 5m out they had a 2 man overlap on the right but Roberts went left and put in a short kick for himself kicked that went dead. The commentator said "thats what you get with Roberts".

Also in the last minute he picked up a loose ball on his own 20m had a clear field ahead but was easily caught by a second rower.
Even the all time greats make wrong decisions at times, but I have every confidence that he will become a real favourite down the lane and that we have an excellent signing in Ben
Danny Boy

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 10 Nov 2014, 11:48

dp &danny orr will bring the best out in him im sure of that

Wf10Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Wf10Tiger » 10 Nov 2014, 12:04

I can't wait to see him and Gale link up! Really looking forward to seeing Solomona too. Is it Feb yet?

Gomersal Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Gomersal Tiger » 10 Nov 2014, 13:24

It would be great to know that whilst Shenny has been out there in Oz, and obviously not required by McNamara, that he has had time to catch up with Ben and introduce him slowly to the Club and all that goes with it. A friendly face always helps when we take on overseas players and he will need time to adapt to the Castleford lifestyle.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 11 Nov 2014, 00:11

whilst shenny will still be captain (and has improved in the role) i think ben will bring a lot of organisational skills to the middle. finn could do it but didn't have bens physical presence.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Ish.man
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ish.man » 11 Nov 2014, 08:53

Made mistakes yes but still far better then what we had last season in halfs.
Train hard, fight easy (simple)

Ish.man
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ish.man » 11 Nov 2014, 08:53

As for been caught by the second rower Robert looked to pull up, think he was shattered.

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 11 Nov 2014, 15:23

he tackled like a trogen all afternoon, something what will strengthen us on his side of the field, he might have missed a couple but when your up against that kind of opposition, his statistics were very good. He took his try very well showing a good turn of speed, some good stepping skills and very strong. The Aussies were on the front foot all game, making it hard for the backs to perform.

Don't get me wrong I liked Snayd, he was a good attacking half back, and a good goal kicker, but he was very suspect in deffence

Adelaide Tigurrrr!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Adelaide Tigurrrr! » 12 Nov 2014, 01:59

Danny Boy wrote:
Adelaide Tigurrrr! wrote:Yep took his try well and showed he can step off either foot. Also linked up play to get both backs and forwards moving. He looks a good signing.

Even the all time greats make wrong decisions at times, but I have every confidence that he will become a real favourite down the lane and that we have an excellent signing in Ben
The point that I and the commentator was making is that when a cool head is needed he sometimes has a brain snap.

But after watching him over the last few years he could be a game breaker and a great acquisition. Just be prepared for some Rangi like decision making which if it comes off will be amazing but if nit will leave you shaking your head.

Ish.man
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ish.man » 12 Nov 2014, 07:55

Yeah well like I said better then what we had, also if he was perfect don't think he would be playing at CAS.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 12 Nov 2014, 11:34

Adelaide Tigurrrr! wrote:
Danny Boy wrote:

The point that I and the commentator was making is that when a cool head is needed he sometimes has a brain snap.

But after watching him over the last few years he could be a game breaker and a great acquisition. Just be prepared for some Rangi like decision making which if it comes off will be amazing but if nit will leave you shaking your head.
I agree, Ben will good and the odd brain snap was what made rangi a great player, wanting to make that impossible play or give that pass that , as a fan, makes you purr.

In saying that, its not like he'll be up against the likes of the teams in the NRL or at international level on a regular basis. Also he, like Widdop at the Storm, was just a bit part player whilst Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater ran the game on both sides. Ben will be able to lead the left side like Sneyd last year.