mal reilly

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
40/20
Academy Player
Academy Player

mal reilly

Post by 40/20 » 18 Oct 2014, 11:27

Been inducted into rl hall of fame this year. Big achievement the club should do something to celebrate

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Re: mal reilly

Post by ERG2012 » 18 Oct 2014, 12:13

Thought he already was a Hall of Fame member

Bewildered why he isnt already. RFL for you!

Totally agree - The club need to recognise Malcolms accolate and so do we even if its something on the shirt next season.

Is he the first Cas player inducted? If so even more reason to make an effort to celebrate his acheivements

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 18 Oct 2014, 13:40

ERG2012 wrote:Thought he already was a Hall of Fame member

Bewildered why he isnt already. RFL for you!

Totally agree - The club need to recognise Malcolms accolate and so do we even if its something on the shirt next season.

Is he the first Cas player inducted? If so even more reason to make an effort to celebrate his acheivements
No. Roger Millward is in there.

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 18 Oct 2014, 15:41

All time great in anybody's language, even though his peak, greatest years were spent in Australia, playing with Manly. He was very much instrumental in and the catalyst for them winning the Grand Final for the first time in their history, and then repeating it the year after. Aussies, particularly in those days, by their very nature, never give poms any credit unless they are very very special. Yet anyone who has been to Oz will tell you he is revered over there and particularly by Manly fans where he is in their hall of fame. He was also the only Brit a few years ago to get in the NRL all time toughest 13. Very key member of the last GB team to win the Ashes over on Aussie soil.

A few years ago a Manly junior touring team came over here to play some games and they played a Cas team down the lane. All many of them could talk about, particularly the older generation who accompanied them, was Mal Reilly. That generation still swear he is the greatest Brit to play over there, although of course the younger generation who are too young to remember him, will be saying the likes of Sam Burgess.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

43s flyer
League One Player
League One Player

Post by 43s flyer » 18 Oct 2014, 16:03

During the NRL grand final Sterlo and co were saying mal was the best ever

bane73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by bane73 » 26 Oct 2014, 09:57

Mal Reilly is the best player to come out of cas bar none. if you need proof the fact every Aussie thinks the guy can walk on water should be enough, the first ultimate professional to come out of the English game.
what doesn't kill me simply makes me...stranger.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 26 Oct 2014, 13:48

His drive and commitment is still there...you should see him in the gym puts guys half his age to shame!.

I know his nephew...he says he wants to win in any sporting activity he does.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 26 Oct 2014, 14:08

Bengal wrote:All time great in anybody's language, even though his peak, greatest years were spent in Australia, playing with Manly.

A few years ago a Manly junior touring team came over here to play some games and they played a Cas team down the lane. All many of them could talk about, particularly the older generation who accompanied them, was Mal Reilly. That generation still swear he is the greatest Brit to play over there, although of course the younger generation who are too young to remember him, will be saying the likes of Sam Burgess.
Its why i look at Manly's results before anybody's elses. Its something to celebrate that we have 4 players who played for Cas won Grand finals with Manly...Reilly,Stephens,Norton & Wardy! :)

laner
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by laner » 26 Oct 2014, 14:59

duke street 10 wrote:
Bengal wrote:All time great in anybody's language, even though his peak, greatest years were spent in Australia, playing with Manly.

Its why i look at Manly's results before anybody's elses. Its something to celebrate that we have 4 players who played for Cas won Grand finals with Manly...Reilly,Stephens,Norton & Wardy! :)
Pluss Ronnie Rambo Gibbs

laner
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by laner » 26 Oct 2014, 15:06

Just remembered that Richard Goddard a centre that Cas signed from Wakefield played at Manley but dont think he made the first team anyone know if he did

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 26 Oct 2014, 17:19

When was he there thought he started at wakey and finished at York?

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 26 Oct 2014, 17:57

bane73 wrote:Mal Reilly is the best player to come out of cas bar none. if you need proof the fact every Aussie thinks the guy can walk on water should be enough, the first ultimate professional to come out of the English game.
Agree 100%. Never likely to be bettered.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 26 Oct 2014, 19:24

Imagine if all our current back rowers had the same mentality. In reality Malcolm wasnt a man mountain but certainly played way above his weight and stamped his "authority" on the paddock

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 26 Oct 2014, 20:01

laner wrote:
duke street 10 wrote:

Pluss Ronnie Rambo Gibbs
Well yes he did play in a winning Aussie grand final but wasn't home grown. Ps Not sure if Brian Lookwood playing in a grand final?

laner
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by laner » 26 Oct 2014, 22:43

duke street 10 wrote:
laner wrote:
duke street 10 wrote:

Pluss Ronnie Rambo Gibbs
Well yes he did play in a winning Aussie grand final but wasn't home grown. Ps Not sure if Brian Lookwood playing in a grand final?
Sorry you did not mention anything about home grown previous post but he played with Manley and Cas Lockwood I think played for the Bulldogs against Easts in the seventies finishing on the losing side no doubt someone out there will know exactly

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 27 Oct 2014, 12:28

one of the games that come to mind when i think of mal was a a game down lane when we played widnes a few weeks earlier i think it was a guy called hogan had broke mals jaw we kicked off hogan got ball first reciver and mal hit him that hard i swear theres still a indention in ground thirty yards from railway end posts
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi