Grant millington

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Grant millington

Post by I of the Tigers » 30 Sep 2014, 16:41

lurcher wrote:we did play some of the teams at home when they were at their worst. catalan, warrington and HKR come to mind. still a great season though.
Not exactly lurcher ... Wire beat Widnes 44-6 on Good Friday, 3 days later they came to us with a team that only showed 1 change from that win ... Easter bonus picked up from the coupon & / or knowing when to lose maybe ... ? :-"

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 30 Sep 2014, 20:45

Swings and roundabouts Catalan and Wire also got to play us at our worst at the end of the season

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 30 Sep 2014, 23:31

I of the Tigers wrote:
lurcher wrote:we did play some of the teams at home when they were at their worst. catalan, warrington and HKR come to mind. still a great season though.
Not exactly lurcher ... Wire beat Widnes 44-6 on Good Friday, 3 days later they came to us with a team that only showed 1 change from that win ... Easter bonus picked up from the coupon & / or knowing when to lose maybe ... ? :-"
I like it ;)
jo brand is eddie warings love child

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 01 Oct 2014, 21:09

I of the Tigers wrote:
That Warrington game is a complete misnomer.

They came to us with a first team that was knacked from playing three days earlier and they didn't have the squad depth due to injuries and suspensions at the time I believe. We, on the other hand, switched around 6/7 players so immediately had an advantage in terms of freshness.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 01 Oct 2014, 21:17

HuddsTigers wrote:
I of the Tigers wrote:

They came to us with a first team that was knacked from playing three days earlier and they didn't have the squad depth due to injuries and suspensions at the time I believe. We, on the other hand, switched around 6/7 players so immediately had an advantage in terms of freshness.
v
Tony Smith very much saw it as the better team won. He shook hands with every member of our squad as they came off the pitch and made no excuses for his own team's performance. That's good enough for me

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 01 Oct 2014, 21:31

Tamworth Tiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

v
Tony Smith very much saw it as the better team won. He shook hands with every member of our squad as they came off the pitch and made no excuses for his own team's performance. That's good enough for me
Interesting views, guys!
It was a complete misnomer ...
They can't have been that knackered, they won 44-6 3 days earlier! (& should anyway have conserved & / or made changes during that game knowing they'd another game in 3 days time) ... I don't hear any reference to their injuries, etc. for last weeks' play off match, didn't seem to affect them much there!
Yes we were fresher back at Easter, having made changes as you say from the Wakey game.
Smith did say they'd left their attacking game on the bus after that defeat to us ... he can talk the talk when he wants like the rest of them.

All in all I reckon they just rolled over ... as we all know there were a few dodgy performances & results throughout the season, this was one of them. And (sadly) I maintain that in most professional sport nowadays there are more similar "freak" results ... the advent of "laying" on the exchanges has a lot to answer for, methinks [-X