The question is ........

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Max n paddy
Academy Player
Academy Player

The question is ........

Post by Max n paddy » 26 Sep 2014, 07:38

Is the squad assembled for the next campaign a improvement on this year. ?
Ding Dang Doo, Let the tiger see the rhino !!

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Re: The question is ........

Post by ERG2012 » 26 Sep 2014, 07:51

We lack a quality centre now Jake is i rehabilitation every other week

Channing is far too small and gets white line ever
Gibson - who....

Id dare say 2-3 forwards
Of which some serious size n beef who eat razorblades and scare people

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 26 Sep 2014, 08:15

Our pack next year has plenty of size

How many games has webster played this year? Must be a fair few hes just been unlucky with an head injury last couple of weeks

Get him a proper pre season with cooper and he'll be laighing
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 26 Sep 2014, 08:25

Half backs look far stronger than this season.
More flare in Roberts.
We should have a better kicking game in gale.

Would love to see a big ugly no nonsense prop.

Bigcurt
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bigcurt » 26 Sep 2014, 08:40

old cas lass wrote:Half backs look far stronger than this season.
More flare in Roberts.
We should have a better kicking game in gale.

Would love to see a big ugly no nonsense prop.
Agree with that especially the prop

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 26 Sep 2014, 09:00

Gale will definitely have a better kicking game than the halfbacks who have played this season.

Think centre could be a problem if Webster is injury prone in 2015, think Powell will try Solomona before Channing. I certainly agree with OCL about an aggressive prop forward, I haven't seen Moors play so hope he can fits this bill.

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 26 Sep 2014, 09:12

Yes in the centres we remain undercooked. Webster clearly fragile, Channing & Gibson simply not good enough. If Shenny was out for a period, then we'd really struggle.
Prop : agree with posters, but we need one who can also offload; it's an area where we've struggled towards the end of the season.
I can see us trying to play a more mobile game next season. If the men in the middle allow it :-({|=

laner
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by laner » 26 Sep 2014, 10:01

How about this line up for pre season games
Solomona
Clare
McMeeken
Shenton
Carney
Roberts
Gale
Crossley
Moore
Lynch
Holmes
Moors
Millington
subs Mariano, Jewitt, Milner and Webster
If Solomona and Crossley are capable all well and good but would think that positions 1 and 8 are formost in planning for next season

therailwayendisnigh
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by therailwayendisnigh » 26 Sep 2014, 11:19

laner wrote:How about this line up for pre season games
Solomona
Clare
McMeeken
Shenton
Carney
Roberts
Gale
Crossley
Moore
Lynch
Holmes
Moors
Millington
subs Mariano, Jewitt, Milner and Webster
If Solomona and Crossley are capable all well and good but would think that positions 1 and 8 are formost in planning for next season
Isn't McMeeken a forward? It will be interesting to see if DP sees him as a centre.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 26 Sep 2014, 11:31

Rhys Evans for warrington was considered to small a few seasons ago n he has now bulked up n is a lot better for it so surely Powell should be telling channing to get in the gym n eat more to bulk himself up if he wants to make the centre spot his next year. It looked like a miss match atkins against channing last night
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Bomber
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bomber » 26 Sep 2014, 11:57

As we have found out the last few weeks we need to be top heavy in the forwards to cover for injuries and loss of form, to go into play off games with three quaters on the bench is a sin.
Unlike the top sides we have no quality juniors that are ready to step up at the minute so I would certainly like us to bring in a couple more forwards. To lose someone like Huby upfront needs to be replaced with quality, there are too many question marks over Crossley( no great experiance at the top level) and Boyle ( coming back after major knee surgery) who may need a season to get up to speed.
A quality centre to provide Webster with competition would be a real bonus also, lets hope the people running the club are willing to drive the club forward next year and speculate some of the income generated from our shock campaign and try to prove this year wasn't just a blip.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 26 Sep 2014, 12:27

jackknife wrote:Rhys Evans for warrington was considered to small a few seasons ago n he has now bulked up n is a lot better for it so surely Powell should be telling channing to get in the gym n eat more to bulk himself up if he wants to make the centre spot his next year. It looked like a miss match atkins against channing last night
I see the only position for channing is hooker, heart like a lion / fast / aggressive tackler but just too small for centre.

Kip Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Kip Tiger » 26 Sep 2014, 12:37

My question is ...... why did we pick a winger on the bench ?

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 26 Sep 2014, 12:43

Isn't McMeeken a forward? It will be interesting to see if DP sees him as a centre.[/quote]

McMeeken had played all his rugby as a centre up until this season. London were short in the 2nd row and had plenty of cover in the centres and so switched him to the 2nd row.

I hope that he could be a diamond in the rough for us as a centre - he may just turn out to be a bit of a find.

ron
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ron » 26 Sep 2014, 14:23

yorky wrote:
jackknife wrote:Rhys Evans for warrington was considered to small a few seasons ago n he has now bulked up n is a lot better for it so surely Powell should be telling channing to get in the gym n eat more to bulk himself up if he wants to make the centre spot his next year. It looked like a miss match atkins against channing last night
I see the only position for channing is hooker, heart like a lion / fast / aggressive tackler but just too small for centre.
Been thinking the same about Channing for a while. My only doubt is whether or not he can read the game quickly enough and whether his distribution would be good enough. Pity we haven't a second team to give him a try.

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 26 Sep 2014, 14:34

Our forwards this year.

Huby, has been outstanding all season, and played injured since the semi

Lynch, has also been outstanding and led from the front all season

Boyle, unluckily he has missed out due to injury.

Fleming, another prop injured for the majority of the season

Mariano, fantastic season from him, but we lost him to injury when it counted

Hauraki, consistent performances,

Holmes, one of our best forwards all season

Millington, outstanding our best player until his injury, and seemed to be playing for the last few games with the injury.

Massey, he was doing a good job until his injury, but toward the back end lost some of that form

Wheeldon, he has done the job, he might not be the most popular player, but he has held his own in the squad.

Jewitt, since coming in he has done a good job up front, but we missed him with an injury at the end

Carvel, he never really got started, and after the spear tackle against Waky we didn't see him again

In the backs.
Tansey, started like an house on fire but fell right out of the team for one reason or another.

Carney, a big part of the season we have had, but has been unlucky with banns, when you look at some other players who do worse but get a slap on the hand, and injury at the end,

Shenton, no one can knock him, he has regained his best form and captained the side well.

Webster, he has been unlucky with a few injury's but has held down his place and played most of the season

Dixon, he has been very good for us this year, he might be coming to the back end of his career but still has lots to offer

Dorn, he his a good player with plenty of speed and guile and knows how to score tries, some like him but some don't but for me he has had a cracking season.

Sneyd, he has done well for someone not really wanted by his club, a good attacking players, a good goal kicker, his only fault his he cant tackle, and at times go's missing.

Finn, a cheap acquisition, a good organiser, tackles all day and a decent kicking game, he has played a big part this season.

Ellis, after signing for us no one would have blinked if he was gone at the beginning of this season, but he has played some good RL, but another who go's missing.

Milner, he started very well but lost form, whether injured or not his anyone's guess, but he hasn't had that much game time.

Clark, a world class player, whether it be hooker or somewhere ells his biggest assets are his lightning speed, a eye for a gap and decent in defence, but he his no organiser.

Clare, he has done well and could be a starter next season, in front of Dixon.

Channing, another with not many games under his belt this year, mainly due to the form of Webster, but he can fill in well.

Gibson, he has only played an hand full of games if that, but he hasn't been able to find form mainly due to having no game time.

Reynolds, only played two games, both times thrown in the deep end with lots of players rested, but he might be more involved next season if he his kept on.

Owen, played some good games before he went on loan, notably the KR game away,

All in all a cracking season for a team who were supposedly cannon fodder. just my opinion.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 26 Sep 2014, 15:09

ron wrote:
yorky wrote:
Been thinking the same about Channing for a while. My only doubt is whether or not he can read the game quickly enough and whether his distribution would be good enough. Pity we haven't a second team to give him a try.
yes perhaps he would take a lot of coaching for that role, but hes a willing lad & I see it as an opportunity for him?

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 26 Sep 2014, 16:16

We will be stronger next year if and it's a big if Ben Roberts and junior moors are the players we think they are.centre looks a problem but with four winger on The books I'd guess that we are looking at one of them filling in at centre when required whether that Solomona or carney I'm not sure.

I think the pack is pretty solid with plenty of size which seems to be the type of player Daryl wants, our half backs look a class above this years and I also believe we will be far better around the ruck with Scott Moore been a good distributer from dummy half.

We will miss clarky's pace but like the previous years with rangi our game has been built around him and I expect us to be more structured down the middle,it will also be nice to see a hooker that can kick when required something we've been found wanting with especially in the latter must win games.

Next year needs to be the break though year for Ben Reynolds if he's not ready next year he never will be at this level. I expect will maher to have a good off season and play some part next year.

All in all great memories some fantastic rugby through the summer months. Now the standard has been set the task is to go and better it !!

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 26 Sep 2014, 17:40

Frankas wrote:Our forwards this year.

Huby, has been outstanding all season, and played injured since the semi

Lynch, has also been outstanding and led from the front all season

Boyle, unluckily he has missed out due to injury.

Fleming, another prop injured for the majority of the season

Mariano, fantastic season from him, but we lost him to injury when it counted

Hauraki, consistent performances,

Holmes, one of our best forwards all season

Millington, outstanding our best player until his injury, and seemed to be playing for the last few games with the injury.

Massey, he was doing a good job until his injury, but toward the back end lost some of that form

Wheeldon, he has done the job, he might not be the most popular player, but he has held his own in the squad.

Jewitt, since coming in he has done a good job up front, but we missed him with an injury at the end

Carvel, he never really got started, and after the spear tackle against Waky we didn't see him again

In the backs.
Tansey, started like an house on fire but fell right out of the team for one reason or another.

Carney, a big part of the season we have had, but has been unlucky with banns, when you look at some other players who do worse but get a slap on the hand, and injury at the end,

Shenton, no one can knock him, he has regained his best form and captained the side well.

Webster, he has been unlucky with a few injury's but has held down his place and played most of the season

Dixon, he has been very good for us this year, he might be coming to the back end of his career but still has lots to offer

Dorn, he his a good player with plenty of speed and guile and knows how to score tries, some like him but some don't but for me he has had a cracking season.

Sneyd, he has done well for someone not really wanted by his club, a good attacking players, a good goal kicker, his only fault his he cant tackle, and at times go's missing.

Finn, a cheap acquisition, a good organiser, tackles all day and a decent kicking game, he has played a big part this season.

Ellis, after signing for us no one would have blinked if he was gone at the beginning of this season, but he has played some good RL, but another who go's missing.

Milner, he started very well but lost form, whether injured or not his anyone's guess, but he hasn't had that much game time.

Clark, a world class player, whether it be hooker or somewhere ells his biggest assets are his lightning speed, a eye for a gap and decent in defence, but he his no organiser.

Clare, he has done well and could be a starter next season, in front of Dixon.

Channing, another with not many games under his belt this year, mainly due to the form of Webster, but he can fill in well.

Gibson, he has only played an hand full of games if that, but he hasn't been able to find form mainly due to having no game time.

Reynolds, only played two games, both times thrown in the deep end with lots of players rested, but he might be more involved next season if he his kept on.

Owen, played some good games before he went on loan, notably the KR game away,

All in all a cracking season for a team who were supposedly cannon fodder. just my opinion.
Think your way to kind on a lot of those
CLASSY CAS FOREVER