wingers

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

wingers

Post by dude » 24 Jul 2014, 23:16

who will be dropped for next week to bring carney back in. i think dixon had a poor game tonight i usually think hes a rather dependable winger, i also feel a bit sorry for clare he comes in and plays quite well then hes out the following week. i think id drop dixon next week to bring carney back

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: wingers

Post by nottinghamtiger » 24 Jul 2014, 23:19

I would imagine nobody will be dropped next week and Dixon and Clare will play, with Carney coming in for the week after.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 24 Jul 2014, 23:19

Did dixon have a poor game? No,did he actually have any ball when not returning from defence? Cant recall one single time he did
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 24 Jul 2014, 23:21

the machine wrote:Did dixon have a poor game? No,did he actually have any ball when not returning from defence? Cant recall one single time he did
He wasn't the only one, but he made some baic unforced errors bringing the ball away nat vital times.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 24 Jul 2014, 23:25

So did a few others

We used him wrong way tonight,should never have been returning the ball from defence against hulls pack
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 24 Jul 2014, 23:28

the machine wrote:So did a few others

We used him wrong way tonight,should never have been returning the ball from defence against hulls pack
Surely it's part of a winger's game these days. You either return the ball from the kick or take the second play?

castiger45678
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by castiger45678 » 24 Jul 2014, 23:36

Clare shouldn't be dropped he had a storming game tonight and I would like channing to have another crack be smart to rest as many players as possible

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 24 Jul 2014, 23:40

Would like to see channing back in instead of Gibson.

TigerB33
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TigerB33 » 24 Jul 2014, 23:52

I'm a fan of Dixon but I have to agree over the last couple of weeks he's made mistakes and look a little tired at times. Give him a rest vs London and bring him back refreshed for the semi

If channing is back fit I'd play him vs London, he'll probably have a point to prove after been told he wasn't in their plans (if I remember right)

hard team to follow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by hard team to follow » 24 Jul 2014, 23:53

I drop them both problem is we decided let a winger go which pure stupid to me as for Claire yes he scored 2 trys but the scared stiff had a shocking game.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 24 Jul 2014, 23:54

Dixons had a good season hes started to drop ball bringing it out which is a worry
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 24 Jul 2014, 23:59

I wouldnt say clare was scared dont get that and owen is doing at wakey what he did at cas drop ball
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 25 Jul 2014, 00:00

nottinghamtiger wrote:

Surely it's part of a winger's game these days. You either return the ball from the kick or take the second play?
It is but when it ineffective surely the game plan has to change

Michael Jordan

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 25 Jul 2014, 00:10

the machine wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:

It is but when it ineffective surely the game plan has to change
But it's hard to stop the other team kicking to the winger and if the full-back fields the kick it should be the winger in position to run the ball on the next play.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 25 Jul 2014, 00:50

True

If dicko plays next week he'll have a stormer at a guess

Michael Jordan

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 25 Jul 2014, 07:36

Funny one this.

The perception of a winger finishing off a move is a dated outlook

A wingers role is to assist with the defence laterally, be a secondary fullback in returning kicks, wase pressure on the forwards sith one up drives or scoots, cover defence when the line is broken and adding pace (and power in certain cases)

Dicko would run through a wall for you. I sometimes wonder if he tries too hard causing unforced errors. Sadly he lacks pace of any description.

With Denny Solomona coming next season will he be on the flank with Carney.

Clare took his tries well but my heart goes in my mouth with he takes the ball up and i reckon he needs a big off season working on specific areas of his game

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 25 Jul 2014, 08:29

I actually felt a bit for Clare and Gibson. They both made some errors, but they aren't playing regularly enough so it's bound to happen.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 25 Jul 2014, 08:39

can we not just mark this game down to a off day we got a point so let dp sort it out and look foraward to london

andrew spencer
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by andrew spencer » 25 Jul 2014, 08:55

onetiger wrote:can we not just mark this game down to a off day we got a point so let dp sort it out and look foraward to london

Exactly - I watched the game at the pub with my mates. They cleared off after 65 mins laughing at me and pointing at the Cas T-shirt I was wearing which drew others' attention to it and they started laughing as well.

I'll have the last laugh tonight, though, when we meet up again - I lived on hope that something wouild turn up and thankfully it did as we played our Get Out Of Jail card to great effect. Walked out of pub smiling and pumping the air as the laughing subsided. If only Marc could have landed one of those last two kicks ...

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 25 Jul 2014, 09:27

My greatest concern with (both) the wings is that in recent matches we've lost tries / conceded dangerous situations to us being out jumped & out muscled from high kicks from the opposition. Definitely an area where we've got to up our game & not be found wanting, 'cos other teams will continue to target us ... COYF