liam finn

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: liam finn

Post by daytona » 25 Jul 2014, 08:52

Really don't get the Finn bashing at all. Look at his stats. One of the top tacklers in the team and plenty of try assists.WHen you are at the game and you watch the way he is constantly barking orders at his forwards and getting them running the right lines you realise he is the type of player we have been missing for years. Yes he was a bit off yesterday but he wasn't on his own. I would imagine if you asked any of our forwards privately which half back combo they prefer, they would pick Finn and Sneyd every time.

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 25 Jul 2014, 09:03

I'm with TheSheriff, castiger45678 & daytona ... stop the Finn bashing people, you can't have everything in a player & for me last night he particularly put in a hefty tackling stint which we should be applauding given 1. the poor cover at times alongside him & 2, the amount of ball Hull had in the first half due to our poor play & Childs' usual anti-Cas performance. Yes Ellis can come in against the likes of London but when push comes to shove in the games that matter & against the big boys, we need Liam's guile to orchestrate our movement. He's done it already this season on a few occasions & he'll do it again ... COYF

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 25 Jul 2014, 10:16

For anyone that cares

Finn made 30 tackles, 4 from marker and 2 missed. Three players missed more (Millo, Massey and Milner) whilst Dorn and Carvell also missed 2.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 25 Jul 2014, 10:23

With Finn slow to the tackle and Gibson needing gametime to sharpen up, we are going to be weaker on the right side. Hull proved that but when we got going we were good down that side. Gibson should get another go next week if he's going to play in the semi.

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 25 Jul 2014, 10:30

Think Finny was poor last night as were many. Although he's gone okay over course of season, I think his defence is better than most halfs to be honest, he organises us, his kicking game is either very good or poor (tends to be on cue or not). Tbh I'd have been very tempted to have given him that final conversion shot - sneyd was having one of his nightmare conversion games.

Think finny becomes an easy scape goat because alot of his best stuff is understated/unseen. Finn has been cities for the Abdull try, for example, which was Dorns fault - Dorn hung back instead of joining the line leaving too big a gap for Finny to cover.

Dazzyb
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dazzyb » 25 Jul 2014, 10:33

You can't have an opinion on here without people thinking your player bashing. You don't need to list the people you agree with if it's your opinion post it, it's your entitlement. I believe sneyd was horrendous for 60 minutes, I also believe that playing in front of his new employers put him off his game, defo his kicking game. But the guy is class

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 25 Jul 2014, 10:33

Think people are singling out Finn because he did very little to impose himself in the game too. He made just 4 carries in the full 80 minutes, where Sneyd made 12.

Perhaps we just went down our left far too much?
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 25 Jul 2014, 10:43

HuddsTigers wrote:Think people are singling out Finn because he did very little to impose himself in the game too. He made just 4 carries in the full 80 minutes, where Sneyd made 12.

Thats also one of the reasons that dixon had a quiet game because he didnt see much ball
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 25 Jul 2014, 10:46

the machine wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:Think people are singling out Finn because he did very little to impose himself in the game too. He made just 4 carries in the full 80 minutes, where Sneyd made 12.

Thats also one of the reasons that dixon had a quiet game because he didnt see much ball
Made a couple of unforced errors though did Dicko - has done last few games. Some very indices like performances of late!
Last edited by KB80 on 25 Jul 2014, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 25 Jul 2014, 10:53

Over last few games alot have made a fare few basic errors etc. Hopefully they get over that come semi final time
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 25 Jul 2014, 11:00

the machine wrote:Over last few games alot have made a fare few basic errors etc. Hopefully they get over that come semi final time
True - been a huge problem in my opinion. Our goal line defence has been exceptional but our errors are creating an over reliance on it.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 25 Jul 2014, 11:06

Its were we give the ball away thats the worry,dropping it in our own 30 or conceding back to back penalties on our own line does us no good

Michael Jordan

The Happy Hooker
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Usually found between open side and blind side prop

Post by The Happy Hooker » 25 Jul 2014, 11:15

My thoughts on last nights game was that we made the wrong team selection from the start.
Surely the London match was the time to rest players, Huby for instance at Leeds started on the bench and did not put in long stint.
Hull were obviously going to be up for this match due to the shellacking they received at Wigan.................. the first half has the worst performance of the season BY EVERYONE, why I don't know, never seen Dixon drop so may passes.
We tried to bully them in the forwards without our best six on the field.
Child was in his Salford mode, completely missing players not square at PTB giving second sets for no apparent reason and did he not reverse a decision initially penalty to us, then reversed to Hull could not see well enough in the North Stand at South Cave.

The last half of the second stanza is where we finally played to our potential where we targeted the Hull right hand side BOTH Finn and Sneyd combined well throughout to contrive the scores. Hull were NOT a good side, their forwards were poor as I said leaving the ground Sneyd doesn't know what he's let himself in for( although he had no say in the matter). It will take more than him and pensioner Price to turn Hull around. Ellis sad reflection of once great player.
Westy and Thompson no great loss IMO, would take Paea.

Played our get out of jail card tonight ..........................we can't play as poorly as we did tonight again (can we) [-( [-( [-( [-( [-(
We await his second coming, Chuck Hardisty MkII

"It does not require many words to speak the truth"...Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Ish.man
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ish.man » 25 Jul 2014, 12:38

dude wrote:
TheSheriff wrote:Hey look, someone who doesn't know Rugby or actually doesn't watch games!

Educate yourself on what a halfback is supposed to do.
played half back for 15 years mate and if i did nothing like he does i wouldnt have played for 1 year. look at the difference between him and sneyd. id have said finn should be an organiser and a game manager but his kicking game is awful and has been for a long time
Agree totally, and I dislike the people that suggest there are people on here that voice opinion and say they haven't played the game. Finn has been crap lately that's fact.
Train hard, fight easy (simple)

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 25 Jul 2014, 12:44

daytona wrote:Really don't get the Finn bashing at all. Look at his stats. One of the top tacklers in the team and plenty of try assists.WHen you are at the game and you watch the way he is constantly barking orders at his forwards and getting them running the right lines you realise he is the type of player we have been missing for years. Yes he was a bit off yesterday but he wasn't on his own. I would imagine if you asked any of our forwards privately which half back combo they prefer, they would pick Finn and Sneyd every time.
Absolutely spot on and why the Finn/Sneyd combo offers a wide range of attacking options.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 25 Jul 2014, 12:45

How long is "lately"? He kicked Huddersfield to death.

There's been a lot worse in the team than Finn, he's just an easy target.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 25 Jul 2014, 13:16

Last night we stunk and nicked a point, Hull reminded me of us last season and before - getting in to winning positions and panic and blow it.

No problems with team selection, Finn is leggy and is not going to bust the line, his kicking was average last night, but everyone was - If you had offered us 8 points from the last 10 available, we would have taken it, so in context you build for a season and a campaign, so this week was poor, but overall, 8 points from the last 10 available, 5 games unbeaten - I am pretty happy, the same players did all that as the ones who played a good 18 minutes last night.

Finn is an old fashioned scrum half, no problem with that, he isn't Alfie Langer, but he isn't worth this amount of vitriole!

cas tigress
League One Player
League One Player

Post by cas tigress » 25 Jul 2014, 13:32

There seems to be a lot of player bashing and what went wrong last night yet no one has mentioned the fact that we scored 4 try's to 3 and if we had kicked the goals we would have won by 6 points can't see why there's all this moaning when we get a draw at hull with several players being rested,have more faith in coach people he certainly knows what he is doing .

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 25 Jul 2014, 18:00

Finn his an organiser and he has done it all season, last night he was playing behind a beaten pack for a lot of the game, so if there's any blame to be dished out it should go to Lynch, Milner, Carvell and the others for not bending there backs in the first half. Finn looks like he has taken the mantel from Owen. All 17 were under par last night not just one, if every player tackled like Finn has done over the season we would be top, but his defence never gets a mention, it seems to me were not happy without someone to get at.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 25 Jul 2014, 18:19

Pack wernt as good as they have been and took one or two knocks but i wouldnt say they were beaten
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi