Squad v hull

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Jazzman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Squad v hull

Post by Jazzman » 23 Jul 2014, 08:35

Slightly OT but the intro screen says the game is 30th April.

Riggins
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Riggins » 23 Jul 2014, 09:04

Carney could have been dropped due to his performances recently. Might be on my own here but I thought he wasn't at his best against Huddersfield & Leeds. To me he's not looked happy or hungry like the Carney of old.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 23 Jul 2014, 09:19

He was in team of week on sky monday night why would you drop carney it is odd hes left out imo
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

40/20
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by 40/20 » 23 Jul 2014, 09:50

Don't look at it as resting players but giving others a chance keeping players ready and battle hardened at this point in the season is important. And keeps players on there toes

TigerDebbie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TigerDebbie » 23 Jul 2014, 09:50

Thought he had a good game against Leeds, doubt he as been dropped

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 23 Jul 2014, 09:54

Riggins wrote:Carney could have been dropped due to his performances recently. Might be on my own here but I thought he wasn't at his best against Huddersfield & Leeds. To me he's not looked happy or hungry like the Carney of old.

I see your point but teams are doubling up on him which is giving Shenny space (using his presence as a foil)

Though i do wish Shenny would release him earlier at times and support on the inside (if needed)

He has also taken pressure off the forwards with first up drives usually getting over the gain line.

Its not all about blasting a trail of devestation running in tries week in week out.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 23 Jul 2014, 10:37

Maybe hes just been rotated rather than dropped
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

hard team to follow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by hard team to follow » 23 Jul 2014, 11:00

Riggins wrote:Carney could have been dropped due to his performances recently. Might be on my own here but I thought he wasn't at his best against Huddersfield & Leeds. To me he's not looked happy or hungry like the Carney of old.
D Powell said on the radio on Sunday he was one of our best players you got understand he marked a lot tighter now days he scores when he needs to and makes loads of yards with the ball.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 23 Jul 2014, 11:12

Carney is just not getting enough early ball in space ATM.
Audacter Et Sincere

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 23 Jul 2014, 12:24

Can't fault carney's efforts at the mo and he certainly returns the ball with good yardage and often takes two or three opposing forwards with him. Finished a great move at Shedingley only to be overruled by the video ref so I'm struggling to understand why anyone would think he's out of form?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Greyhound
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Greyhound » 23 Jul 2014, 12:31

Justin (along with Dicko) does a lot of work following a return kick from the opposition and due to his strength attracts a lot of attention from the defensive line.He might have picked up some knocks over the weeks. Maybe DP thinks the speed and agility of James Clare would be more suited to wide open space of the KC on a dry track than the bulldozer style from Justin

Bigcurt
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bigcurt » 23 Jul 2014, 12:46

Carney may have a small knock, he certainly is not out of form. Surely the whole point of having a large squad is to rest players when the coach thinks it is necessary. If he is carrying a knock I would much rather play safe and have him fit for the semi and the rest of the season. Even if Carney is fully fit it won't do Clare any harm to keep him sharp by playing in case we do need him at an important time later on.

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 23 Jul 2014, 12:58

I reckon it's a bit of squad rotation, trying to keep everyone finely tuned and ready to go, in addition to keeping others on their toes and showing that no player is irreplaceable or for that matter guaranteed a place in the team.
Great to see James Clare and Ashley Gibson back again and good that we have players of their quality ready to step up when needed.
Danny Boy

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Jul 2014, 13:06

Disappointed we've chosen to rotate the squad for this game. Could really backfire but I hope not.

Losing this game would undo the work we've done by getting a point at Headingley IMO.

Though perhaps DP is giving everyone a chance to shine ahead of the semi-final - Clare, Carvell and Gibson in this week. Perhaps we'll see Reynolds, Ellis, Gilmour - his loan expires end of the month (?) and Channing if he's back fit next week next week.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!