Opportunity to change the model

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Opportunity to change the model

Post by mdean » 23 Apr 2014, 13:27

I have been reading with interest Steve Ferris' comments about a "root and branch review of what wen't wrong" and thinking about it, as someone who directs a business this happens a lot, all the cupboards are emptied and people but thousands of hours into what went wrong.

Now, I think Cas are on the brink of a real change and while we are in this position, everything turning up, I think we should be instigating exactly that same thing, a proper root and branch assessment into the on field and off field stats, all the KPI's and variables and looking in to the small percentages that make a huge difference. Like Dave Brailsford undertook with Team Sky and GB cycling, finding 1% here and there in food, scheduling, players rest, bar service, stewards - every single thing, put as much effort into this review as people do into when they finish 3rd bottom.

The main reason this is playing on my mind is that we last had an overall feeling like this in 1999, on and off the field, a real grafting side who wanted to play for each other, organic crowd improvment and people talking about Cas - but that proved to be a blip and we went backwards and have been trying to rediscover it ever since.

To make a real change, for now and for the future, there is an opportunity to be grasped, not just something to be sat back and enjoyed, all top flight businesses and companies target reptition of success much more than reviewing failure..... It is so nice to be talking about how we can maintain more of the same, as opposed to posting on forums how much things need to chnage!

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Opportunity to change the model

Post by I of the Tigers » 23 Apr 2014, 14:01

Good post, I'd make 2 observations :-

The Brailsford cycling review was at an "international" level, as opposed to "club" level, though I agree such a review could be applied at a "club" level, in any sport.

Also, don't we already have a structure in place whereby a lot of the things you talk about should already be on the radar of the Board in place at the club? ... ie. looking at the staff directory on the club website, we have a Board of 9 directors, 8 personnel in Elite performance, 14 in Youth development & within Administration, 13 Managers / Officers plus 6 Administrators / Assistants.
I don't know how "joined up" all the necessary business & playing threads are at Cas, but I'd be surprised given the size of the overall resource that the Board aren't already driving & / or tasking their managers to deliver (& more) in all the key areas. The world is a far more professional place 15 years on from 1999, too. COYF

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 23 Apr 2014, 14:07

Yeah, I concur with you to a point, but Team Sky is a relatively small "on bike" team with a huge model behind it, I think it translates.

I also agree we have the structures, I hope that we are driving every avenue identifying WHY things are better, not just being happier that they are! And that we never stop looking for those marginal improvements in every facet.

What a brilliant discussion to be having, as opposed to the repetitious inquests into what went wrong and how we can make matters better! So much more positive.

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 23 Apr 2014, 14:17

I fear for the Bulls if Steve Ferres is in charge and reviewing the situation they are in, as things got tough for him here and he couldn’t handle it, so took the cowards way out.
I’m afraid I wouldn’t trust anything he says or does any more and I’m really surprised that Bradford appointed him after what went off here.
Yes we do have to ensure that we don’t go down the slippery slope as in the past, but I trust in Steve and Mark to steer the ship in the right direction, we do have to be run as a business and it does appear that’s the way we are going, with every revenue stream being tapped and mistakes made by those no longer at the club are finally being put right, as and when that is possible.
When the new stadium is a reality, our future will be even more secure and we will be able to compete on more of a level footing, for whilst Wheldon Road is a great place to be on days like Monday, the powers that be at the club know that in order to move forward as a club we have to move to our new home.
Yes we do have a grafting side, but unlike in the past, we have grafters who have no shortage of skill and should any of them move on, we have to trust in DP and DO to identify others who can slot seamlessly into our system (as a number of players did on Monday afternoon) and any player who thinks he can’t be replaced, is sadly misinformed and should be reminded that the grass is very seldom greener on the other side.
Keep up the great work Steve, Mark, Daryl and Danny and of course, our great backroom staff, it truly is teamwork both on and off the field that is making this the best time in many a year to be a Cas supporter!

COYF!!!!
Danny Boy

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 23 Apr 2014, 14:42

Optimism, Belief, Desire, Commitment & Attitude ... The most important components necessary for people to move anything forward successfully.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 23 Apr 2014, 15:35

Absolutely right mdean

It's all well and good thinking the bubble won't burst, but I think we all know Cas survives on a knife edge in every aspect of business and performance!

You're so right about 1999.

Structures and procedures need to be tied down now (they may be already, but revisiting things doesn't harm) to ensure the sustainability of the wonderful progress and feel good factor that has been made....
Audacter Et Sincere

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 23 Apr 2014, 21:28

Interesting stuff and I agree with most of. However, I genuinely feel any review or plan should be based purely on the business as it exists in the present.

I don't question the benefits of a new stadium but to build our future plans around this myth has perhaps played a role in the Club taking its foot of the pedal in the past. We need to run a business based on its existing assets and whilst this must include growth the growth plans have to be realistic.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

papa
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by papa » 23 Apr 2014, 22:22

All well and good, can't really argue with the thesis, but at the end of the day we are a community sporting club, results based.
If the team's performing well and winning, the punters return along with the feel good factor, which makes everyone's life in and around the club that much easier.
You can analyse things all you want but if the team is getting tonked by 70 points on a regular basis it all goes out of the window.
Make hay while the sun shines and enjoy the ride.
Even the best businesses go through sticky patches.
If winning isn't everything why do they keep score?

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 24 Apr 2014, 00:51

Danny Boy wrote:I fear for the Bulls if Steve Ferres is in charge and reviewing the situation they are in, as things got tough for him here and he couldn’t handle it, so took the cowards way out.
I’m afraid I wouldn’t trust anything he says or does any more and I’m really surprised that Bradford appointed him after what went off here.
Yes we do have to ensure that we don’t go down the slippery slope as in the past, but I trust in Steve and Mark to steer the ship in the right direction, we do have to be run as a business and it does appear that’s the way we are going, with every revenue stream being tapped and mistakes made by those no longer at the club are finally being put right, as and when that is possible.
When the new stadium is a reality, our future will be even more secure and we will be able to compete on more of a level footing, for whilst Wheldon Road is a great place to be on days like Monday, the powers that be at the club know that in order to move forward as a club we have to move to our new home.
Yes we do have a grafting side, but unlike in the past, we have grafters who have no shortage of skill and should any of them move on, we have to trust in DP and DO to identify others who can slot seamlessly into our system (as a number of players did on Monday afternoon) and any player who thinks he can’t be replaced, is sadly misinformed and should be reminded that the grass is very seldom greener on the other side.
Keep up the great work Steve, Mark, Daryl and Danny and of course, our great backroom staff, it truly is teamwork both on and off the field that is making this the best time in many a year to be a Cas supporter!

COYF!!!!
fantastic post mate, agree 100%
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Adelaide Tigurrrr!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Adelaide Tigurrrr! » 24 Apr 2014, 02:55

papa wrote:All well and good, can't really argue with the thesis, but at the end of the day we are a community sporting club, results based.
If the team's performing well and winning, the punters return along with the feel good factor, which makes everyone's life in and around the club that much easier.
You can analyse things all you want but if the team is getting tonked by 70 points on a regular basis it all goes out of the window.
Papa, iMHO your comments sum up how Cas have been managed over the last 15 years. I don't want to go through 2 relegations and being seen as a badly run club that sees success as just keeping its head above water.

Every business in the world is results based not just a sports club. It doesn't matter if we are a community sporting club or Nike you have to ensure everyone and every process is working to the utmost advantage for the organisation.

I agree with mdean. SG and the back room team have already identified issues that the club can address so they financially benefit the club in future years. A thorough look at everything may identify many other issues which can be tweaked, got rid of, or improved to improve the management and function if the club.

Obviously this is a time consuming exercise and maybe there are people out with the knowledge to advise or even undertake such a root and branch review on behalf of the club.

papa
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by papa » 24 Apr 2014, 10:04

There is no magic blueprint. Businesses are about people.
Get the right people in place, get the basics right and look after the controllables.
We now have some excellent enthusiastic people on and off the field who are working together as a team. That's what we've lacked for years.

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 24 Apr 2014, 16:49

Flat Capper wrote:Interesting stuff and I agree with most of. However, I genuinely feel any review or plan should be based purely on the business as it exists in the present.

I don't question the benefits of a new stadium but to build our future plans around this myth has perhaps played a role in the Club taking its foot of the pedal in the past. We need to run a business based on its existing assets and whilst this must include growth the growth plans have to be realistic.

The difference this time round caper his when RW was going on about a new stadium a decade ago the club where having to scrape & scrounge for every penny they could, because it was going to be funded by the club, by hoping to sell Weldon Road to a supermarket, this time if it comes off & with luck it will, the club can sit back & concentrate on other parts of the club what need to be kept going, so the money we were putting up for planning & other things to do with the stadium wont be coming from the club & our main asset will still belong to the club to do with what they wish.

Robbo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Robbo » 24 Apr 2014, 19:11

Danny you said.............

I fear for the Bulls if Steve Ferres is in charge and reviewing the situation they are in, as things got tough for him here and he couldn’t handle it, so took the cowards way out.

You are SO WRONG with what you have said. He was not a "coward" in fact he stood up for the fans.
I am not getting into the past and opening old wounds on here. However it had to be said that you were wrong.

That cleared up , the structures being put in place are on a rolling basis and if we can breakeven this year we are on the right road.
Castleford Tigers suffered from not having the right people on the board and lack of corporate responsibility .

Robo
Truth is always best !

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 24 Apr 2014, 23:55

Robbo wrote:Danny you said.............

You are SO WRONG with what you have said. He was not a "coward" in fact he stood up for the fans.
I am not getting into the past and opening old wounds on here. However it had to be said that you were wrong.

That cleared up , the structures being put in place are on a rolling basis and if we can breakeven this year we are on the right road.
Castleford Tigers suffered from not having the right people on the board and lack of corporate responsibility .

Robo

so glad your back posting mate, you have been proved right on most things and continued even though some on here mocked you. thanks for all you've done. COYF
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Robbo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Robbo » 25 Apr 2014, 12:34

mate

All I have ever wanted is for the club to be run well and for us to put a good team out on the park.

I talk to people all over Europe/far East etc almost daily and for the last few weeks the main topic is how its good to see Castleford being a force once again.
We are the EVERTON of football ............old ground, not much money...........but loved by all the neutrals.

Robo
Truth is always best !

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 25 Apr 2014, 12:54

Adelaide Tigurrrr! wrote:
papa wrote:All well and good, can't really argue with the thesis, but at the end of the day we are a community sporting club, results based.
Papa, iMHO your comments sum up how Cas have been managed over the last 15 years. I don't want to go through 2 relegations and being seen as a badly run club that sees success as just keeping its head above water.

Every business in the world is results based not just a sports club. It doesn't matter if we are a community sporting club or Nike you have to ensure everyone and every process is working to the utmost advantage for the organisation.

I agree with mdean. SG and the back room team have already identified issues that the club can address so they financially benefit the club in future years. A thorough look at everything may identify many other issues which can be tweaked, got rid of, or improved to improve the management and function if the club.

Obviously this is a time consuming exercise and maybe there are people out with the knowledge to advise or even undertake such a root and branch review on behalf of the club.
I cant help but agree with Papa, I think you'll find he said that he couldn't argue with the thesis, and obviously all businesses need sound structures and good people in place, and a process to continually review and improve is always welcome as it helps to hone the business and drive it forward, identifying the 1% improvements and working on them.

That said we are a community based sports club, and we are ultimately results driven, if we're winning more people buy our product, it's easier to sell to sponsors and so on and so on. However if we're getting tonked 70-0 every week it soon's starts to spiral back the other way.

I fully understand that we have a load of business experts on this forum, however whilst the club must be run on the footing of the business that it surely is, you must also remember its so much more than that in so many ways.

papa
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by papa » 25 Apr 2014, 15:18

westyorkylad wrote:
Adelaide Tigurrrr! wrote:

I cant help but agree with Papa, I think you'll find he said that he couldn't argue with the thesis, and obviously all businesses need sound structures and good people in place, and a process to continually review and improve is always welcome as it helps to hone the business and drive it forward, identifying the 1% improvements and working on them.

That said we are a community based sports club, and we are ultimately results driven, if we're winning more people buy our product, it's easier to sell to sponsors and so on and so on. However if we're getting tonked 70-0 every week it soon's starts to spiral back the other way.

I fully understand that we have a load of business experts on this forum, however whilst the club must be run on the footing of the business that it surely is, you must also remember its so much more than that in so many ways.
Thanks, that's exactly what I meant

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 25 Apr 2014, 17:44

I think the whole point of the thread was simply "Let's revisit a few things and conduct an investigation into what we do / how we do it / what we can improve on, whilst we're seemingly ahead of the game"

simple as!
Audacter Et Sincere

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 26 Apr 2014, 10:27

im sure steve gill and the rest of the board members will have there eye on the ball
we have guys who are not just board members but they are like us castleford tiger fans
which makes one hell of a diffrance ...