Coach Powell

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Towns
League One Player
League One Player

Coach Powell

Post by Towns » 22 Apr 2014, 13:08

whilst the players have been top notch over easter i just wanna give additional praise to Daryl Powell. He was not a happy bunny after the wakey game and i cannot remember the last time Cas won a SL game and the coach was critical of a victory. That is due to the standards he has set. Then on tp yesterdays game, his team selection and tactics were spot on. The bench blew wire off the park and our supreme set completion meant we earned the right to pick wire off. The defensive attitude was brilliant as well, wires only try due to a charge down. A joy to watch right now, powell has changed the culture at our club and long may it continue.

Peter Carbert = best drummer in West Yorkshire.

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Coach Powell

Post by onetiger » 22 Apr 2014, 13:15

i will be the first to hold my hands up and say i was wrong i was one of them that wanted john kear
did not think dp would cut it at cas .but the guy along with danny orr and all his staff and players he brought in as put us were we are to day .a very well done to every one ....

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 22 Apr 2014, 13:18

Best signing we have made for years and years.

Reading some sites today, lots of fans from other clubs are hoping he becomes englands coach.
Imo I don't.
DP is still cutting his teeth in SL, yes he as one fantastic tactical brain, and at the moment he as the midas touch.
I believe DP needs a good 5/6 years as a SL coach before he steps up to the international scene, which I think he will do in the future.

I hope SG gets him tied to a long contract 3/4yrs, then if DP wants to dip his toe into the international arena, we at least have danny orr who imo will make a great cas coach in years to come.

At the moment though we have to keep this partnership together, the players seem to love working under him, the fans Adour him. I can see silverware coming to cas sooner rather than later under DP/DO.

At the minute life is good as a cas fan, lets keep it that way for years to come.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 22 Apr 2014, 13:24

I'm not sure the international arena is what Cas need to worry about but other more 'glamourous' SL clubs who will be watching DP with interest. Radford, Sandercock and Cummings must be feeling a little bit nervous and with Warrington looking poor this season I'm not sure Tony Smith is safe. The Mad Doctor can't sit still for 5 mins so Salford could make a big money move.

I shall enjoy watching the results of DP's work at Cas for as longh as it lasts but with success comes temptation...
Spreading the Cas gene pool

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 22 Apr 2014, 13:34

Flat Capper wrote:I'm not sure the international arena is what Cas need to worry about but other more 'glamourous' SL clubs who will be watching DP with interest. Radford, Sandercock and Cummings must be feeling a little bit nervous and with Warrington looking poor this season I'm not sure Tony Smith is safe. The Mad Doctor can't sit still for 5 mins so Salford could make a big money move.

I shall enjoy watching the results of DP's work at Cas for as longh as it lasts but with success comes temptation...
Not sure hull fc/hkr/ or Bradford are glamour clubs just now.
Warrington will have to build having lost briers and morley plus one or two others.

As for the mad doctor....darly must be mad if he goes to Salford, look where they are compared to us.

Only glamour clubs I can see is, wigan/leeds/saints. Or maybe NRL.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 22 Apr 2014, 15:40

the problem I see is that if we don't start to get bigger gates we wont generate the money to hang onto quality people be it playing staff or admin / coaching.

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 22 Apr 2014, 15:55

I also applaud the whole coaching team & what they have done / are doing. FANTASTIC. And what's more, they'll keep everyone's feet on the ground as they further develop the squad & bring success. I've not seen a more committed bunch who want to play for the "boss" & their team mates in an awful long time.

The club are doing great things off the pitch too, & it's up to all us fans to encourage friends & family to "try" (!) a game or two & experience what we know is a great atmosphere & experience. The crowds will return ...

So let's not get too hung up on thinking that the "glamour" clubs will remain the places to be ... we might not want to be labelled as one anyway, & I'm sure that won't stop DP continuing to be with us while ever the club are able to support him in strengthening the squad as & when it's needed.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 22 Apr 2014, 16:08

The 'glamour' lable was a little tongue-in-cheek but of the clubs listed they have backers that want to see success. Cas are still moving within their means so we won't see instant financial success and this may bring additional pressures on staff resources and the ability to retain/recruit (Huby for example).

We are currently second in the table and playing well so can be considered a top club but with Crackrash around the corner, money can be a significant driving force when trying to buy success rather than build it.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

TigerB33
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TigerB33 » 22 Apr 2014, 16:16

I agree fully, his tactics were spot on yesterday, the lads who started the game are no slouches and set a platform for huby millington hauraki and Clark to come on and take the game.

I was stood in front of a guy who did nothing but complain about the tactics for the whole first half until someone told him to shut up and trust DP.

Regarding his comments after the wakey game, it's refreshing to see a Cas coach with such high standards. I'd like to see a contract renewal for DP not to jump the gun but there are some coaches in SL struggling and I wouldn't want DP picked off,

Another one to add to the list Is wane at Wigan, he's constantly been tipped for the nz warriors job.

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 22 Apr 2014, 19:40

If we're able to keep up this level of form then Powell and the club will be swimming in awards come the end of the season.

Powell has been a breath of fresh air, the BOD and everyone at the club have helped achieve an insane turn around considering the position we were in 12 months ago and we've got a potential Man of Steel with Shenton.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.