Good Friday 2013....12 months on

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Casmania
Verified

Good Friday 2013....12 months on

Post by Casmania » 19 Apr 2014, 19:18

The saying what a difference a day makes, but what a difference a year has made.
Go back 12 months to Good Friday 2013, hammered at home by Wakefield, match abandoned due to floodlight problem and all the bad publicity that went with that. Played 9 games, won 1 and were bottom of the league. Dwindling support, unrest with players, a coach who was clearly struggling to get the best out of the players, small squad, Glasshoughton stadium "on hold" and out of the challenge cup (a year ago to the day) We were being crucified by some on SKY and the general RL media. Our much loved stadium was looking very much unloved.

Fast forward 12 months, hammered Wakefield away - with plenty in the tank to spare. New floodlights installed. Played 9 games won 7 3rd in the league. Fans coming back in numbers, players are playing for each other, new coach and coaching team....the results speak for them selves, a bigger, stronger squad. New stadium on the horizon, and still very much in the challenge cup. SKY and the media are finally giving the club credit. The "old girl" is being spruced up and looks like it is being cared for once again. And we have a new club song.

It has not been easy being a Cas fan over the last few years, fans have shown fantastic loyalty. Thankfully the appointment of a new CEO and Board of Directors are breathing new life into our club which was on its knees. There is still a lot to do, but just think what has been achieved in just 12 months.

How appropriate are the first 3 lines of Sweet Caroline:

"Where it began
I can't begin to know it
But then I know it's growing strong"

Finally, its great to see so many down the town today wearing Cas colours once again.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

the40/20
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Good Friday 2013....12 months on

Post by the40/20 » 19 Apr 2014, 19:25

Fantastic post, one of the best I've seen on here
It's another great reminder of how much effort has been put in by so many people

And the results are paying off, on and off the pitch!

It's great to see all the badges worn in the town now, it shows people had pride back in the badge and town

I LOVE IT! :D

COYF, CAS UNTIL I DIE AND SWEET CAROLINE!!

Ooooooohhhh BOOTROOM...

STEVE GILLS BARMY ARMY

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 19 Apr 2014, 19:51

Brilliant post,our beloved club is rising like the phoenix from the ashes and will soar once again

A massive heartfelt thankyou to everyone involved in making this happen,thankyou

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

TigerB33
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TigerB33 » 19 Apr 2014, 20:01

What a great post Casmania,

It's only when you see what has been achived wrote down that you actually think wow, and as you say in just 12months.

How the players perform on the field is what brings the crowds in and what makes the feel good factor. So we'll done to DP and the lads, nothing has been achived just yet so hopefully this form can continue long into the future.

For me what makes things even better is knowing the club is been run properly and we have solid foundations moving forward, so thank you to Steve Gill and his team for their continued hard work.

We only have a few more seasons at wheldon road before we move to pastures new (fingers crossed) let's hope we make them seasons to remember.

Sweet Caroline !!!!!!!!!

cvtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cvtiger » 19 Apr 2014, 20:12

Casmania wrote: its great to see so many down the town today wearing Cas colours once again.
I noticed that the other day, and it's right, even I've got colours to wear and I'm wearing them proudly.
‘What words of wisdom will Dennis share this time...?'

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 19 Apr 2014, 20:13

Two words.

STEVE GILL.

Give the man a big :clap:

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 19 Apr 2014, 20:18

old cas lass wrote:Two words.

STEVE GILL.

Give the man a big :clap:
i second that ocl the guy is out standing

decorator2
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by decorator2 » 19 Apr 2014, 20:34

The one thing money cannot buy is the fervour and passion with which people play out their role, that is an any job. From the CEO, the Coaching team, the directors and the players, you can buy expertise, but you cannot put a price on the history and heart that people have. From the top down we have local people working together to push forward something they genuinely care about. I feel that in Daryll Powell and Danny Orr you have the determination that drives those around them. Many fans feel exactly the same. It is amazing to watch players who have the WANT to win, a pride that has seemed to elude us at times in the past. Keep it going guys...it's contagious. COYF

I of the Tigers
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by I of the Tigers » 19 Apr 2014, 20:49

Can't say more than has been said above ... AWESOME effort by everyone involved, the just rewards will follow I'm sure of that. Money alone has never won a thing & never will. Hearts win every time. COYF, Sweet Caroline ... :dance:

alcasfan
League One Player
League One Player
Location: LS25 About as far from LEEDS as you can get with an LS code - Thank God!

Post by alcasfan » 19 Apr 2014, 20:53

Nothing more to add!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

COYF!!
"Castleford's biggest home crowd of the 1991-1992 season wasn't quite 12,000 while on average they'd sit around 6000 but the noise, the chanting and the singing just blows you away" - Tawera Nikau "Standing Tall"

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 19 Apr 2014, 21:21

Great work by the club & the people running it, it could have been all so different if someone hadn't walked & a real Cas fan put in his place, & then another sacked, & another Cas fan put in his place. With out the drive of our new board Led by Jack Fulton & the vision Of Mr Gill to go out & get the right man to lead the players we might have been on par with our near neighbours, but were not & it's all down to the right men in charge, & long may it last.

cas tigress
League One Player
League One Player

Post by cas tigress » 20 Apr 2014, 01:46

Casmania wrote:The saying what a difference a day makes, but what a difference a year has made.
Go back 12 months to Good Friday 2013, hammered at home by Wakefield, match abandoned due to floodlight problem and all the bad publicity that went with that. Played 9 games, won 1 and were bottom of the league. Dwindling support, unrest with players, a coach who was clearly struggling to get the best out of the players, small squad, Glasshoughton stadium "on hold" and out of the challenge cup (a year ago to the day) We were being crucified by some on SKY and the general RL media. Our much loved stadium was looking very much unloved.

Fast forward 12 months, hammered Wakefield away - with plenty in the tank to spare. New floodlights installed. Played 9 games won 7 3rd in the league. Fans coming back in numbers, players are playing for each other, new coach and coaching team....the results speak for them selves, a bigger, stronger squad. New stadium on the horizon, and still very much in the challenge cup. SKY and the media are finally giving the club credit. The "old girl" is being spruced up and looks like it is being cared for once again. And we have a new club song.

It has not been easy being a Cas fan over the last few years, fans have shown fantastic loyalty. Thankfully the appointment of a new CEO and Board of Directors are breathing new life into our club which was on its knees. There is still a lot to do, but just think what has been achieved in just 12 months.

"Where it began
I can't begin to know it

Finally, its great to see so many down the town today wearing Cas colours once again.

Superb post I will second the person who said it's the best post he has seen on here
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 20 Apr 2014, 02:27

Great post Casmania and puts things into perspective. We were on the ropes when Steve Gill was appointed but the masterstroke by Sir Jack has turned our fortunes on their head and our future looks ever so bright both on and off the field as a result of the efforts of Daryl, Danny and the boys on the field, Steve, Mark Grattan and the new board off the field.
Hopefully our great run of results will continue and we can secure a top four finish giving us a realistic chance of reaching a major final for the first time in 20 years.
The icing on the cake would be the delivery of a new stadium which really would secure our long term future and finally give us chance to compete with the so called big boys on a much more level footing.
Well done to everyone who has made this possible, let's hope that Craig Huby, Daryl Clark and such as Weller Huraki and Mark Sneyd can be persuaded to stay and recognise that they can achieve their dreams at Cas, that we are on the verge of something really special here and moving on does not guarantee success, in fact there are so many examples that the geass is definitely not greener.
COYF!!!
Danny Boy

Towns
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Towns » 20 Apr 2014, 04:13

ocl is right praising steve gill. He is a very smart man who has got us rolling. #castleford

Peter Carbert = best drummer in West Yorkshire.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 20 Apr 2014, 08:42

agree with all above, "sweet Castleford" :dance:

papa
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by papa » 20 Apr 2014, 10:09

Casmania wrote:The saying what a difference a day makes, but what a difference a year has made.

"Where it began
I can't begin to know it

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
If winning isn't everything why do they keep score?

darkside
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by darkside » 20 Apr 2014, 12:24

a good feeling through the club right now, long may it last. we were in the shop yesterday getting my lads ticket and people were queuing out of the door, Steve Gill was in the shop then, the last 12 months have been a very tough time for our club but the positivity is really shining through come on cas

Evatiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Evatiger » 20 Apr 2014, 18:04

Excellent post casmania,made me and the wife think back to that good friday and remember how gutted and embarressed we were after that wakey game.went to the game other day and it really does seem like roles have been reversed.their ground looks a shed,very unproffessional unhelpfull staff,even our cheerleaders showed theirs up.and powells response was to say it was 1 of our worst performances of the season,the bars been raised on and off the pitch and the good times have definatley never felt so good.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 20 Apr 2014, 23:56

out of interest how did the claws come to be performing at wakeys ground? i assume they must have been invited. wakey fans not happy saying our professional dancers should not have been allowed on their pitch as it showed up their amateur troupe
jo brand is eddie warings love child

papa
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by papa » 21 Apr 2014, 09:04

lurcher wrote:out of interest how did the claws come to be performing at wakeys ground? i assume they must have been invited. wakey fans not happy saying our professional dancers should not have been allowed on their pitch as it showed up their amateur troupe
Our girls were invited
If you remember they did a similar thing a few years ago, the Wakey dancers came to Cas for a 'dance off' and vice versa.
Although I was surprised on Friday that the adult Wakey cheerleaders weren't performing alongside ours, they had the younger girls from their dance academy instead, not sure why.
If winning isn't everything why do they keep score?