Goalkicking

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
pontetiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pontetiger » 25 Aug 2008, 11:42

GThornton wrote:Unless we've got a Frano Botica hiding away in the Cas dressing rooms, i think we've been using our best kickers and they just had an off day yesterday.
i think a certain jo westerman can kick a ball pretty well. think we should give jo the kicking dutys for next year and stick with him for the year, did he not have the name raydar boots for nothing

Sigon
Championship Player
Championship Player
Twitter: @nogis

Post by Sigon » 25 Aug 2008, 13:34

GThornton wrote:Unless we've got a Frano Botica hiding away in the Cas dressing rooms.
We have already been there before
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 25 Aug 2008, 14:22

Joe's a decent kicker i don't think the best we have, still think Dixon is better but Joe would of slotted a few of them over at least 4/5 of the 8 we missed.

But the tries we scored were absolutely fantastic and Shenny set so many up though soft hands.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 25 Aug 2008, 20:22

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:Joe's a decent kicker i don't think the best we have, still think Dixon is better but Joe would of slotted a few of them over at least 4/5 of the 8 we missed.

But the tries we scored were absolutely fantastic and Shenny set so many up though soft hands.
If you think that Kirk Dixon is a better kicker than Joe Westerman, then I'll have a pint of what you're drinking

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 25 Aug 2008, 21:18

The Fox wrote:
WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:Joe's a decent kicker i don't think the best we have, still think Dixon is better but Joe would of slotted a few of them over at least 4/5 of the 8 we missed.

If you think that Kirk Dixon is a better kicker than Joe Westerman, then I'll have a pint of what you're drinking
Up until last night Dixon's goal kicking was at 69% vs Joe's 70%, BTW that's in the 49 games both have played for the club. Don't know what the stats are for this season alone, but I fancy at least up until last night Dixon was ahead.

Dixon was poor last night, but remember how poor Joe was at home to Leeds on Sky.
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 25 Aug 2008, 21:23

Steadman_4_PM wrote:
The Fox wrote:

Up until last night Dixon's goal kicking was at 69% vs Joe's 70%, BTW that's in the 49 games both have played for the club. Don't know what the stats are for this season alone, but I fancy at least up until last night Dixon was ahead.

Dixon was poor last night, but remember how poor Joe was at home to Leeds on Sky.
Joe has not been this season a good kicker, he's been average and so has Dixon and Huby.

Like Steadman4 said the Leeds game he was poor and theres been a few others where hes been same.

Dixon kicked what was it 8/8 against Wakey and Wakey is a massive field.

People just have their days really, im sure Kevin Sinfield and Thomas Bosc 2 best kickers in league also go through the phase.

Luckily last night kicks meant nothing to the game, but to the score could of been oh so sweeter.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 25 Aug 2008, 21:23

Steadman_4_PM wrote:
The Fox wrote:

Joe has not been this season a good kicker, he's been average and so has Dixon and Huby.

Like Steadman4 said the Leeds game he was poor and theres been a few others where hes been same.

Dixon kicked what was it 8/8 against Wakey and Wakey is a massive field.

People just have their days really, im sure Kevin Sinfield and Thomas Bosc 2 best kickers in league also go through the phase.

Luckily last night kicks meant nothing to the game, but to the score could of been oh so sweeter.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 25 Aug 2008, 21:29

Also in Dixon's favour IMO is the fact he's kicked more often. By that I mean no matter how good you are, if you kick every week then you're more prone to getting difficult ones, or at least opportunities on difficult days.

Joe kicked 2 from 2 against Catalans on opening night, followed by an other 100% performance (I think :? ) away to Wigan the following week. Since then though he's not kicked every week, would like to see how many attempts he's had vs Dixon rather than just success rates.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 25 Aug 2008, 21:30

Steadman_4_PM wrote:Also in Dixon's favour IMO is the fact he's kicked more often. By that I mean no matter how good you are, if you kick every week then you're more prone to getting difficult ones, or at least opportunities on difficult days.

Joe kicked 2 from 2 against Catalans on opening night, followed by an other 100% performance (I think :? ) away to Wigan the following week. Since then though he's not kicked every week, would like to see how many attempts he's had vs Dixon rather than just success rates.
Can you not compare them both on the stats on SLTV?

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 25 Aug 2008, 21:35

Yeah, just without the context of the games involved. Joe is at 70% from 40 attempts and Dixon at 74% from 47 attempts. No idea if that includes last night though.

stumain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stumain » 26 Aug 2008, 10:43

Joe Westerman:

In 2008, competitive games only, has kicked 28 of 45 attempts (62%).

Kirk Dixon:

In 2008, competitive games only, has kicked 37 of 54 attempts (68%).

Craig Huby:

In 2008, competitive games only, has kicked 16 of 23 attempts (70%).

Nev
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nev » 26 Aug 2008, 10:52

So they all suck. The table below shows how bad we are.

Catalans 83%
Huddersfield 82%
Bradford 81%
Hull Kingston Rovers 80%
Leeds 77%
Hull 77%
Wigan 77%
Wakefield 75%
St Helens 72%
Harlequins 70%
Warrington 70%
Castleford 65%

Normy Knight
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Normy Knight » 26 Aug 2008, 11:06

Nev wrote:So they all suck. The table below shows how bad we are.

Catalans 83%
Huddersfield 82%
Bradford 81%
Hull Kingston Rovers 80%
Leeds 77%
Hull 77%
Wigan 77%
Wakefield 75%
St Helens 72%
Harlequins 70%
Warrington 70%
Castleford 65%
Most of our tries are or have been scored out wide by the centres and wingers, so most convertions will have been from the touch line.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.
http://www.normantonknights.co.uk

Nev
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nev » 26 Aug 2008, 11:27

Why don't we sign Luke Covell, the goalkicking winger from Cronulla? He hasn't got a contract for next season. ;)

Normy Knight
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Normy Knight » 26 Aug 2008, 11:48

Nev wrote:Why don't we sign Luke Covell, the goalkicking winger from Cronulla? He hasn't got a contract for next season. ;)
Impressive stats.

http://rugbyleagueproject.com/players/Luke_Covell.html
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.
http://www.normantonknights.co.uk

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 26 Aug 2008, 12:42

I obviously have no idea how we choose the regular goal kicker but I do know it is not a casual role. All the best kickers take a great deal of time practising the role.

Although I never kicked competitively, I used to practise in an arc from the touchline to the 'centre spot' and out to the opposing touchline. It took over an hour to complete the task successfully but I gradually got better and better, increasing my confidence all the time. Folk walking their dogs thought I was a complete lunatic (yes, I know I am!) but I can't see why this simple exercise cannot be repeated daily by whoever is the chosen kicker?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Sigon
Championship Player
Championship Player
Twitter: @nogis

Post by Sigon » 26 Aug 2008, 12:49

Flat Capper wrote:I obviously have no idea how we choose the regular goal kicker but I do know it is not a casual role. All the best kickers take a great deal of time practising the role.

Although I never kicked competitively, I used to practise in an arc from the touchline to the 'centre spot' and out to the opposing touchline. It took over an hour to complete the task successfully but I gradually got better and better, increasing my confidence all the time. Folk walking their dogs thought I was a complete lunatic (yes, I know I am!) but I can't see why this simple exercise cannot be repeated daily by whoever is the chosen kicker?
in addition, previous years we have employed a kicking coach. if Matterson knew this was a problem (from his post match coments he did), why not go down this path again?
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 26 Aug 2008, 12:55

Wasn't Matterson a goal kicker himself?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 26 Aug 2008, 12:55

Goal kicking is something 1 week your the best at and the next week your poor and look as though youve never been one.

These things happen and im sure that after every trainin session this week and next Dixon and probably Huby will stay behind and practise a bit.

stumain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stumain » 26 Aug 2008, 13:40

I recall Wayne Bartrim used to practice place kicking along the half way line during the warm up. He wasn't too bad...