Castleford Academy

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
The Happy Hooker
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Usually found between open side and blind side prop

Post by The Happy Hooker » 05 Jul 2008, 11:18

danny lad wrote:when will we be seeing these guys in the first team?

surely matterson will blood some in for next season as we get closer to the end?

More chance of:
We await his second coming, Chuck Hardisty MkII

"It does not require many words to speak the truth"...Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Rich_1
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Rich_1 » 05 Jul 2008, 11:24

The Happy Hooker wrote:

surely matterson will blood some in for next season as we get closer to the end?

More chance of:
Agreed. Apparently he said that 'no one is stading out in the academy or 18's' :roll:

Like when Scott Moore got injured and he decided to bring one of his mates back in by calling Thackray back up despite him being absolutely appauling the week before in the Academy.

The Happy Hooker
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Usually found between open side and blind side prop

Post by The Happy Hooker » 05 Jul 2008, 11:36

Rich_1 wrote:
The Happy Hooker wrote:

More chance of:
Agreed. Apparently he said that 'no one is stading out in the academy or 18's' :roll:

Like when Scott Moore got injured and he decided to bring one of his mates back in by calling Thackray back up despite him being absolutely appauling the week before in the Academy.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Personally, I find the credibility of TM to be questionable regarding selection of up and comming players, the latest piece of 'scuttlebut news', Jack Lee is to be'loaned out' to another club for 'experience' by our Aussie Guru MR, much to the annoyance of the players...........whats wrong with OUR first team for gods sake, we have played Thackeray as Hooker who has been found wanting, Scott Moore returns this week, therefore bootlace slow passes, unforced erorrs and silly penalties with be 'de riguer' for the forceable future.
Last edited by The Happy Hooker on 05 Jul 2008, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
We await his second coming, Chuck Hardisty MkII

"It does not require many words to speak the truth"...Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

wastedyears1981
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Eating a baloo burger in the WRE behind the sticks.

Post by wastedyears1981 » 05 Jul 2008, 13:18

Always rememer ..... Pigs do fly if you kick em' hard enough.

Time is a great healer, unless its a rash. Then your better off with ointment - Holly, Red Dwarf

Bomber
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bomber » 05 Jul 2008, 13:36

With this season being dead it is apalling we continue to play the likes of Moore, who goes back to Saints next year , rather than giving one of our own hookers a chance to develop at the higher level.
At present we have everything to gain by giving our own a chance and nothing to lose.

solsfire
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by solsfire » 06 Jul 2008, 10:05

I think he might try one or two before the end just to see if they can hack it for next year

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 06 Jul 2008, 10:09

Bomber wrote:With this season being dead it is apalling we continue to play the likes of Moore, who goes back to Saints next year , rather than giving one of our own hookers a chance to develop at the higher level.
At present we have everything to gain by giving our own a chance and nothing to lose.
I agree with this 100% - But i arent sure if todays game is the right game to put them in, Although wierdly enough next week i would put a young forward and Sean Johnson on the bench in place of Scott Moore and an experienced lad, The games were seen to have not a lot of chance in i would put the guys in and then when we get a tighter game at the back end of the year they may be ready to take more of a leading role
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

jonnyyorkshu
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by jonnyyorkshu » 06 Jul 2008, 22:14

no he won`t he will give andy hay a shot,see if he`s still got it, if not he will give some free agent aussie 2nd grader a go.

jonnyyorkshu
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by jonnyyorkshu » 06 Jul 2008, 22:19

Bomber wrote:With this season being dead it is apalling we continue to play the likes of Moore, who goes back to Saints next year , rather than giving one of our own hookers a chance to develop at the higher level.
everybody can see this bar TM

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 06 Jul 2008, 22:31

chuckaneppy wrote:
Steadman_4_PM wrote:Fantastic news, lets just hope they all turn out to be future stars like Shenton, Owen, Boyle etc and not dross like former academy captain Grant Edwards.
That's a bit harsh. If you get 1/2 out of any team at this age (in any sport) that turn into real stars then that is a success. For the rest, if a proportion stay in the professional game at all and manage first team level anywhere then they have done well, certainly don't deserve to be referred to as dross.
I don't think its harsh, what I'm getting at is Edwards was the captian so presumably rated highly amongst that group. He failed to make an impact in the 1st team and the last time I saw him for Sheffield, was starting off the bench so perhaps hasn't made great strides there either.

So you can't call someone in the professional game as you put it dross? Why? There's some right crap playing in the national leagues, as we all saw last season. Some of our kids will make it into SL, others will sadly fall into that dross, whether it be through not reaching their potential (for various reasons), or never really having much about them past the junior grades.
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

chuckaneppy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chuckaneppy » 07 Jul 2008, 07:46

Steadman_4_PM wrote:
chuckaneppy wrote:
Steadman_4_PM wrote:Fantastic news, lets just hope they all turn out to be future stars like Shenton, Owen, Boyle etc and not dross like former academy captain Grant Edwards.
That's a bit harsh. If you get 1/2 out of any team at this age (in any sport) that turn into real stars then that is a success. For the rest, if a proportion stay in the professional game at all and manage first team level anywhere then they have done well, certainly don't deserve to be referred to as dross.
I don't think its harsh, what I'm getting at is Edwards was the captian so presumably rated highly amongst that group. He failed to make an impact in the 1st team and the last time I saw him for Sheffield, 'was starting off the bench so perhaps hasn't made great strides
there either.

So you can't call someone in the professional game as you put it dross? Why? There's some right crap playing in the national leagues, as we all saw last season. Some of our kids will make it into SL, others will sadly fall into that dross, whether it be through not reaching their potential (for various reasons), or never really having much about them past the junior grades.
Depends what benchmark you use. The crap/dross playing at NL1 are still far superior to 99% of us that have played the game which is why they are still in semi-professional sport.

As I said previously whilst we have a very good academy team, if 1 or 2 of them make SL we will have done well, anymore than that would be a fantastic achievement. If a few more add to the 'dross' in the National Leagues then that will be an exellent contribution to the game of RL overall.

Skip
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Skip » 07 Jul 2008, 08:47

At the end of the day some of this 'dross' will rise up, improve and be picked up by SL clubs. Rooney is a perfect example of a player who we let go of and has come to bite us in the backside.

However some players do need that knock to their egos to make it. There's no bigger spur for some players than being told they can't do it...

If our academy produce 1/2 players every year that are at least good enough to be squad players - it strengthens our team up. And out of those 1/2 players every year you never know - a few may have even more potential :)

The current crop of academy players are a decent set of lads who are slowly coming together. Chances are these academy players are not quite ready to be blooded - if anything they may get the odd 10/20 mins here and there towards the end of the season, nothing more. Too much too soon can just see potentially good players fall apart. Let's just let them build their confidence up by putting wins together and getting into that winning habit - You'd be surprised how that winning mentality can be transferred around the players!
Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?

There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I walk that line every day.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Jul 2008, 20:48

chuckaneppy wrote:Depends what benchmark you use. The crap/dross playing at NL1 are still far superior to 99% of us that have played the game which is why they are still in semi-professional sport.
So none / not many of us were any good at playing RL, does that mean we're not allowed an opinion on the quality of a player?
chuckaneppy wrote:As I said previously whilst we have a very good academy team, if 1 or 2 of them make SL we will have done well, anymore than that would be a fantastic achievement. If a few more add to the 'dross' in the National Leagues then that will be an exellent contribution to the game of RL overall.
Yes, if 1 or 2 or 3 even make it into SL then great....keep that going on a regular basis and we'll again be the envy of many SL clubs. That said though, numerous players will go on to either leave the game completely or 'fester' in the National Leagues. Some will improve under different coaching, but some will become lower league journey men. Whether they contribute to the game of RL overall isn't the greatest of my concerns, I'm most bothered about Cas improving what they have and moving up the SL ladder.

If you'd be happy retaining a lower quality / standard of player then fine, I'm not.

chuckaneppy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chuckaneppy » 07 Jul 2008, 21:08

Steadman_4_PM wrote:
chuckaneppy wrote:Depends what benchmark you use. The crap/dross playing at NL1 are still far superior to 99% of us that have played the game which is why they are still in semi-professional sport.
So none / not many of us were any good at playing RL, does that mean we're not allowed an opinion on the quality of a player?
chuckaneppy wrote:As I said previously whilst we have a very good academy team, if 1 or 2 of them make SL we will have done well, anymore than that would be a fantastic achievement. If a few more add to the 'dross' in the National Leagues then that will be an exellent contribution to the game of RL overall.
Yes, if 1 or 2 or 3 even make it into SL then great....keep that going on a regular basis and we'll again be the envy of many SL clubs.
That said though, numerous players will go on to either leave the game completely or 'fester' in the National Leagues. Some will improve under different coaching, but some will become lower league journey men. Whether they contribute to the game of RL overall isn't the greatest of my concerns, I'm most bothered about Cas improving what they have and moving up the SL ladder.

If you'd be happy retaining a lower quality / standard of player then fine, I'm not.
No I'm not and i'm not saying Grant Edwards was good enough for us either. Players, probably including a lot of those in the current academy side, find their level. This is what Grant has done & he is doing o.k. that doesn't make him 'dross'. Without the NL's there would be no SL so these players are important to the game.

That said I am not trying to prolong an arguement but in my opinion Grant Edwards and many more (including Stuart Kain, Micheal Knowles et al) are decent players at the level they have found.

Stevo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Stevo » 07 Jul 2008, 21:14

Steadman_4_PM wrote: . . . Yes, if 1 or 2 or 3 even make it into SL then great....keep that going on a regular basis and we'll again be the envy of many SL clubs. That said though, numerous players will go on to either leave the game completely or 'fester' in the National Leagues. Some will improve under different coaching, but some will become lower league journey men. Whether they contribute to the game of RL overall isn't the greatest of my concerns, I'm most bothered about Cas improving what they have and moving up the SL ladder.

So speaks a true fan of Rugby League. :oops: :oops: :oops:

No-one who has ever pulled on a jersey & played a competative game of Rugby League deserves to be called "dross". Perhaps they haven't gone on to be World beaters but they've at least had the guts to give it a try. How many appearances have you managed ?

Perhaps one day you'll grow up & be mature enough to realise that without this so called "Dross" in the lower leagues (which we were ourselves last year) the game will die.
No professional sport can survive without strong grass roots. The sport needs the lower league clubs just as much as it needs a Cas or Wakey.

It's all well & good wanting Cas to well but I'm also a fan of RL & support it at ALL levels
Always borrow money from a pessimist.
He wont expect you to pay him back !!!!

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Jul 2008, 21:20

Jeez, apologies for having an opinion. :roll:

Dross, crap, average, journeymen..... call them what you like there are players out there in RL who have limited ability and for all they might try, will never amount to much. I don't need to have played the game professionally to appreciate that.

Anyone who's run out for Cas has got my support, regardless of standard but at the end of the day some of them simply aren't good enough and if we're to move on as a club then we need to improve on these.

chuckaneppy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chuckaneppy » 07 Jul 2008, 22:35

Steadman_4_PM wrote:Jeez, apologies for having an opinion. :roll:

Dross, crap, average, journeymen..... call them what you like there are players out there in RL who have limited ability and for all they might try, will never amount to much. I don't need to have played the game professionally to appreciate that.

Anyone who's run out for Cas has got my support, regardless of standard but at the end of the day some of them simply aren't good enough and if we're to move on as a club then we need to improve on these.
Agreed on your last sentence, and we have improved on these which is why they don't play for us anymore.

From my viewpoint i'm happy that players we have produced contribute to so many clubs throughout the leagues. Lets just agree to differ on the description of these, its not a big issue. :D

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Jul 2008, 22:37

Not disputing or unhappy that they go on to contribute elsewhere (no matter at what level), I just want the best that come through to stay and be good enough. Don't want us to play local kids just because they're local.......

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 07 Jul 2008, 22:40

Sometimes if you want the best out of local players youv'e got to put in other players from different players to give experience and what not local isn't always the best choice.