Plummeting attendance

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Plummeting attendance

Post by alftupper » 23 Jun 2008, 12:40

I thought Sundays figure of 7048 was very poor indeed against a Wigan side who are usually good for 2000 or so travelling supporters.

I think the clubs policy of 'this year doesnt count' is having the inevitable affect. The last time I attended was the Bradford game back in May, up until then I had not missed a home game - looking at yesterdays crowd I am not alone.

I suppose a good yardstick for the 'lost' support would be to compare yesterday's crowd of 7048 with our home fixture against Catalans of 7060. Take off the estimated Wigan following and there is your figure. Very unscientific I know but it gives a rough picture.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 23 Jun 2008, 12:45

To be honest mate i think Wigan are quite miffed with how there seasons going and results, i heard some blokes talking about travelling fans not going to games because there fed up.
Was going to see if they fancied swaping positions in league see how they felt then!

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 23 Jun 2008, 12:47

fair enough, I don't know how many Wigan brought as I wasn't there, however I would wager it was a lot more than Catalans!

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 23 Jun 2008, 12:49

I'd say that Wigan brought about 1,300.
--------------------------------------------------------
ACCOUNT CLOSED WITH OWNERS PERMISSION

Bone!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bone! » 23 Jun 2008, 12:50

I'd of said they brought more than Wire or Bradford did tbh, they filled the Railway End to the brink.

Nev
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nev » 23 Jun 2008, 12:51

Ponte races were on at the same time. That wouldn't have helped.

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 23 Jun 2008, 12:51

Bone! wrote:I'd of said they brought more than Wire or Bradford did tbh, they filled the Railway End to the brink.
They did bring a lot, but it wasn't that full. Both corners of the Railway End where fairly empty with a lot of them directly behind the sticks.
--------------------------------------------------------
ACCOUNT CLOSED WITH OWNERS PERMISSION

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 23 Jun 2008, 12:51

alftupper wrote:fair enough, I don't know how many Wigan brought as I wasn't there, however I would wager it was a lot more than Catalans!
My rugby team are watched more away than Catalan are.

:lol:

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 23 Jun 2008, 12:52

Best home crowd was when Whinos came to town, they practically took railway end up and the west stand up, im glad there was so many there to see there 'WORLD CHAMPS' get humiliated hehe.

:lol: :dance:

Nev
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nev » 23 Jun 2008, 13:01

If you want to check falling attendances look at Wakey and Hudds

Graphs courtesy of slstats.org but hosted on imageshack

marshman
League One Player
League One Player

Post by marshman » 23 Jun 2008, 13:05

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote: My rugby team are watched more away than Catalan are.

:lol:

surely you must sympathise with the Catalan fans though. If Cas played in the French league, how many away games would you be able to attend? They have a poor away following for a reason, they can't just pop along the m62 (apart from those Leeds fans who follow Les Cats). Catalans have a home average of around 8400, not bad at all in only their third season. They average more than we do and we've been playing at the top for years.

As the op suggest, our crowd figures are really poor imo. RW wanted to hit the 10k figure if you heard him talk before the season kicked off. We wouldn't have hit that figure if we were sitting where Catalans are now. The club need to work hard on this front to get people in and the current attitude of this season doesn't matter is the worst possible way to go about it.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 23 Jun 2008, 13:08

I do symphasise tbh saying that though there home attendance is something to shout about iv known some games where theyv'e been getting 8-9,000 attendances, not bad at all, i do think aswell its the players theyv'e got and attracted, Catalans must be exciting team to follow specially being 12th one year, i think 8th next and now 3rd with 8-9 games to go, well done to them. :clap:

classy cas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classy cas » 23 Jun 2008, 13:10

Who makes the Fixture Lists Out and do they take into consideration that is Ponte Races(family day) on the Same Day.

Its probably Pontes biggest gate of the season. When we move to glass houghton this will have to be taken into consideration. So why not now.
Also the Cappers were at home aswell, i bet their attendance was pretty poor too.

marshman
League One Player
League One Player

Post by marshman » 23 Jun 2008, 13:11

And to add. Look who's getting it right.

Can anyone tell me (well in particular RW) what the secret to increased attendances is?

marshman
League One Player
League One Player

Post by marshman » 23 Jun 2008, 13:18

classy cas wrote:Who makes the Fixture Lists Out and do they take into consideration that is Ponte Races(family day) on the Same Day.
Why would they take into account other events nearby? It's up to RW and our club to keep our attendances up. RW and the rest will have known about Ponte races and if they feel this will detract from our attendance then they should have worked on that. Offer more tickets to school, more advertising in the area and more encouraging news in the press.

If the club seems to sit back and wait around lately. We still have lots of this season to look forward to and the club ashould be making the most of it. Non of this rubbish about how this season doesn't matter. Seriously, we should have been working our bits off to get up to an average of 8k. Next season we could have gone towards 8.5k, then 9k. We would then have a great amount of fans to take into our new stadium which would also hopefully see us increase that figure upto say 12k or more. Doesn't that seem a better plan than saying "this season doesn't matter" and then hoping that when we do get the new stadium we'll suddenly increase our attendances by 5k. It seems the club think that miracles will happen all on their own without them having to do anything.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 23 Jun 2008, 13:25

marshman wrote: 2008

Can anyone tell me (well in particular RW) what the secret to increased attendances is?
i can tell you marshy, get ya self a winning team and the fans will turn up.

Riggins
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Riggins » 23 Jun 2008, 13:28

Nev wrote:Ponte races were on at the same time. That wouldn't have helped.
That always effects the gate. The club usually try to change the game to avoid the races.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 23 Jun 2008, 13:57

It looks like this will be one of the few predictions I get right. :roll:
Spreading the Cas gene pool

marshman
League One Player
League One Player

Post by marshman » 23 Jun 2008, 14:18

old cas lass wrote: i can tell you marshy, get ya self a winning team and the fans will turn up.
And the winning prize goes to OCL. :D

In our case, a competative squad this season would have done. A squad capable of putting in consistent performances, we don't have to be winning every game, but at least giving us a chance. We could then realistically pushed towards that 8k average which would also have looked good to the RL when considering our application. If they can see improvement, they're impressed, that's what franchising is trying to bring in.

Also you've to think about other things apart from just keeping the fans happier. The sponsors too would be much happier if we were competing and in turn bringing in more fans to see their logos. Increased revenue also is obvious, which in turn just makes it all the more easy to survive as a club and improve. Also, that increased crowd, increased money increased good publicity makes it easier to attract players for next season which in turn helps towards building a better club.

It all sounds so simple when put like this, and i don't for one minute think that it is. I do believe though that we've made it as hard as possible as we can for ourselves simply by stating that this season doesn't matter.

If this season doesn't matter, then it doesn't matter or not if Joe Bloggs gets up off his backside and gets down t'lane. That's what's happened to the crowds.

Jazzman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jazzman » 23 Jun 2008, 14:24

old cas lass wrote:
marshman wrote: 2008

i can tell you marshy, get ya self a winning team and the fans will turn up.
It helps when the nearest Super League club is 500miles away, so the competition for spectators is less :lol: .