Plummeting attendance

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 24 Jun 2008, 13:24

I meant it's a poor excuse by the club to have less attendances lol. There's also something which was brought up at the focus group, which was that some people are afraid to bring their families after a group of morons in the WRE are spoling the atmosphere. That could knock off a few.
--------------------------------------------------------
ACCOUNT CLOSED WITH OWNERS PERMISSION

danny lad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by danny lad » 24 Jun 2008, 16:00

if we can beat leeds next week then our attendances will begin to rise i reckon

GThornton
League One Player
League One Player

Post by GThornton » 24 Jun 2008, 18:35

Well not sure about this season, but getting a franchise next month and then finding out how much money the council will donate to the new stadium in October and seeing some plans in place or even building starting. Plus signing some new potentially superleague winning players should help towards selling some season tickets and upping our attendances next year.

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 24 Jun 2008, 19:42

The retention of Shenton IMO, gives fans great hope. Obviously with a club like Bradford on the market, the club must have either drugged him ;) , or they really are going to take this licence period seriously, and start pushing for some success. Either way it bodes way for the fans, and him signing a new deal might already get a couple of fans back down to the ground.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 24 Jun 2008, 20:47

Fully wrote:The retention of Shenton IMO, gives fans great hope. Obviously with a club like Bradford on the market, the club must have either drugged him ;) , or they really are going to take this licence period seriously, and start pushing for some success. Either way it bodes way for the fans, and him signing a new deal might already get a couple of fans back down to the ground.
I tend to agree that the franchise era will start with us taking it seriously, but didn't the fans forum show we'd spend the same on wages in 09 as this season, ie well short of the cap?

Maybe cutting some of the NL1 deadwood who are perhaps on inflated contracts means we can recruit well yet not spend more, but for me "taking this seriously" has to involve spending the full cap on quality players.
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 24 Jun 2008, 21:05

That may be a figure based on current incomes etc though. At the end of the day we have to have the money coming in to ensure we're stable enough financially to help support the funding for the stadium, while also ensuring we stay solvent.

We cannot afford to spend the cap if it means going out of business the season after. This, I believe, is to prove to the RFL we intend to, with the financial security of a three-year licence and added bonuses, we'll be able to develop a stronger squad in the long term.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 24 Jun 2008, 21:09

I agree regards the solvency side of things, but there's a difference in remaining solvent and making a profit. Saints for example made a profit for the 1st time in ages the other year when they won the WCC, prior to that they'd remained solvent without adding to their fortune.

Maybe not financial greatness, but they brought in big players, generated the revenue to pay those wages and did well on the pitch as a result. It'll always be a balance and flashing to cash doesn't along bring results (a la Warrington...) but I think we deserve a club making the effort.

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 24 Jun 2008, 21:23

To use an old saying: You have to speculate to accumulate. I would rather us be wary and continue to spend safely as long as it was for a particular reason.

But the thing is, if the information is true, and we have turned down significant investments from interested parties, why haven't we accepted one of those and used that to attract bigger, better players.

That's a fundamental downfall of the club, and one that I had hoped to touch upon with RW, but unfortunately time was against us.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 24 Jun 2008, 21:26

Fully wrote:To use an old saying: You have to speculate to accumulate. I would rather us be wary and continue to spend safely as long as it was for a particular reason.
Its got to be a balancing act though surely? Remaining solvent yet failing to excite or complete is pointless in profesional sport. Equally winning yet going bust is silly, so there has to be some sort of happy medium.
Fully wrote:But the thing is, if the information is true, and we have turned down significant investments from interested parties, why haven't we accepted one of those and used that to attract bigger, better players.
Do you really need to ask?

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 24 Jun 2008, 21:52

No, I don't need to ask, but it would be nice to see what excuses, if any, RW can pull out of the hat.

Maybe this is the happy medium - spending the majority but not all. 300k is bugger all on our current contract spending. 3 players max.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 24 Jun 2008, 21:54

Fully wrote:No, I don't need to ask, but it would be nice to see what excuses, if any, RW can pull out of the hat.
The excuse though makes perfect sense from those with money tied to the club, wouldn't you agree?
Fully wrote:Maybe this is the happy medium - spending the majority but not all. 300k is bugger all on our current contract spending. 3 players max.
As long as in spending 'the majority' we don't over pay sub SL standard squad members, as seems to be the case currently.

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 24 Jun 2008, 21:59

Yeah, it does, but from a fans perspective that sort of excuse is inexcusable.

As for your second point, that is why I'd probably release any players that we can replace with cheaper/better players.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 24 Jun 2008, 22:01

Fully wrote:Yeah, it does, but from a fans perspective that sort of excuse is inexcusable.
Maybe so, but I'd guess anyone in that position would do the same.

Wicksy
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Wicksy » 24 Jun 2008, 22:07

Think alot of our currant spend was a product of promotion, however RW signed the big contracts on the advice of ? . Hopefully these will not be repeated again, and we can get back to a well balanced squad and pay structure .

Hey i can dream .

Maybe they don't want to stand down because they want to rectify the mistakes they've made in seasons gone by.

Normy Knight
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Normy Knight » 24 Jun 2008, 22:18

Fully wrote:No, I don't need to ask, but it would be nice to see what excuses, if any, RW can pull out of the hat.

Maybe this is the happy medium - spending the majority but not all. 300k is bugger all on our current contract spending. 3 players max.
Whilst I agree with you on most points Fully, you and I do not know the bigger picture and no fan will do.

The club will not come on here and announce their full intentions, or anywhere else and just drip feed information as and when, the same as most clubs really.

They just see us as Carion (sp), and probably start most rumours off themselves and laugh at us, all we can do is say what we see.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.
http://www.normantonknights.co.uk

monkeyface
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by monkeyface » 24 Jun 2008, 23:23

Fully wrote:To use an old saying: You have to speculate to accumulate. I would rather us be wary and continue to spend safely as long as it was for a particular reason.

But the thing is, if the information is true, and we have turned down significant investments from interested parties, why haven't we accepted one of those and used that to attract bigger, better players.

That's a fundamental downfall of the club, and one that I had hoped to touch upon with RW, but unfortunately time was against us.
Fully i emailed RW a couple of weeks ago and asked about 10 questions, i new i wouldnt get 10 answers,enyway one question was have we turned away investment, he answered that he didnt know of enybody trying to invest at the club and it was news to him, i know like yourself and others on her ,that there is people willing to invest but cannot get in, so thers our answer , but ask him next time you meet,

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 24 Jun 2008, 23:27

I did hear that Poulter tried investing in the club a few years back, and also - don't know whether it is true - still is willing to do that.

monkeyface
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by monkeyface » 24 Jun 2008, 23:29

Fully wrote:I know that Poulter tried investing in the club a few years back, and still is willing to do that.
well our board seem to think nobody wonts too :lol: :lol: