ENGLAND TEAM FOR FRIDAY

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
pontetiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pontetiger » 23 Jun 2008, 20:11

everybody is saying put sargent on bench, the lad isnt here yet and may still not be here in time for saturday!!

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 23 Jun 2008, 20:27

Sargeant should be in starting 13 (providing hes here) -
Starting Pack

28. Sargeant
9. Hendo
14. Higgins
15. Huby
12. Gutts
16. Lupton

Catic played better coming on as sub than he as since hes started games, he showed sunday that he can break through tired defences and he killed wigan with his offloads.

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 23 Jun 2008, 20:52

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:Sargeant should be in starting 13 (providing hes here) -
Starting Pack

28. Sargeant
9. Hendo
14. Higgins
15. Huby
12. Gutts
16. Lupton

Catic played better coming on as sub than he as since hes started games, he showed sunday that he can break through tired defences and he killed wigan with his offloads.
Unfair to drop Korkidas after yesterday
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

Bone!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bone! » 23 Jun 2008, 21:17

dettoriman wrote:
WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:Sargeant should be in starting 13 (providing hes here) -
Starting Pack

28. Sargeant
9. Hendo
14. Higgins
15. Huby
12. Gutts
16. Lupton

Unfair to drop Korkidas after yesterday
too right, and Korki is a big bloke too. We need somebody with his size as Leeds have Big players allover the field. and with our small size sqaud it looks like Men against Boys.

He played well yesterday and we need somebody like him IMO, yesterday showed he can play, just hope he builds on that. He has been out of favour lately and he was given the chance yesterday and proved himself IMO.
I do believe it weren't just a one off from Korki and that he could perform better than he has been doing in the future.

Jack Bauer
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Jack Bauer » 24 Jun 2008, 12:08

ENGLAND captain and Leeds Rhinos prop Jamie Peacock believes 18-year-old Joe Westerman will prove a roaring success for his country following his dream call-up to face France.

Hailed as the next Andy Farrell, Castleford Tiger Westerman was named in Tony Smith's 19-man squad yesterday for Friday's crucial warm-up ahead of England's World Cup campaign in Australia come October.

YEP

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 24 Jun 2008, 12:25

no players coming back in to the squad then just sargent to come over wonder who will make way for him??

THE BUNGLER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by THE BUNGLER » 24 Jun 2008, 12:29

betts21 wrote:no players coming back in to the squad then just sargent to come over wonder who will make way for him??
Westerman!

Donlan

Owen
McGoldrick
Shenton
Wainwright

Dorn
Sherwin

Higgins
Hendo
Korky
Hlad
Huby
Lupton

Catic
Sargent
Boyle
Thacks

Morrissey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Morrissey » 24 Jun 2008, 12:30

betts21 wrote:no players coming back in to the squad then just sargent to come over wonder who will make way for him??
I would imagine that Westerman's absence will be filled by Sargent, with Lupton probably going to loose forward and maybe Hlad coming in to the second row off the bench, while Sargent will be on the bench I imagine flights pending.

Nev
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nev » 24 Jun 2008, 12:33

[quote]Smith hinted there is every chance Westerman may play a part and possibly even start.

He also left little doubt that the 18-year-old is a huge part of his future plans whatever part he plays in France.

“I see Joe as a possible starter for this game,â€

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 24 Jun 2008, 20:31

If neither Dixon nor Guttenbeil come back into the squad, then we really do need Sargent to be available. Saying that though, he was signed before the Wakey game with the suggestion being he'd be available for Wigan..... lets just hope come Thursday its not an other case of "too late to get his papers through".

Personally I'd like TM to try something a little different this weekend..........

FB - Owen / Donlan
W - Donlan / Owen
C - Lupton
C - Shenton
W - Wainwright
SO - Dorn
SH - Sherwin
P - Higgins
H - Henderson
P - Korkidas
SR - Huby
SR - Hlad
LF - McGoldrick

Sub - Sargent
Sub - Boyle
Sub - Catic
Sub - Thackeray

OK, its not that different.... but we all know Ryan struggles to defend at fullback and while he's perhaps a natural centre he doesn't get his hands on the ball enough when he plays there. For that reason plus the fact Joe won't be available (or will he?), I fancy we'd benefit from having Ryan play in Joe's normal slot out wide right.

Starting with Higgins, Korki and Huby gives us plenty of bulk at kick off, but with Sargent, Boyle and Catic on the bench it also gives plenty of bulk / power to interchange with. You could start with Catic but with Huby already in the 2nd row it would kind of limit what we have to bring on after the 1st 25 mins.

Saying all that, I still think TM will select Ryan at fullback, Owen at centre and Sargent might not even be here. :?
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 24 Jun 2008, 20:36

Why do I get the feeling that Westerman, even if he does get selected Friday, will back up and be on the bench for Saturday.
--------------------------------------------------------
ACCOUNT CLOSED WITH OWNERS PERMISSION

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 24 Jun 2008, 20:38

Fully wrote:Why do I get the feeling that Westerman, even if he does get selected Friday, will back up and be on the bench for Saturday.
I fancy you're right. Looking at the England squad you can make a case for Joe missing out, but just from the noises TS has been making I think he'll be in, possibly from the start.

Although I'd rather Joe didn't play if it meant the 'Leeds 6' also didn't return.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 25 Jun 2008, 01:22

Steadman_4_PM wrote:
Fully wrote:Why do I get the feeling that Westerman, even if he does get selected Friday, will back up and be on the bench for Saturday.
I fancy you're right. Looking at the England squad you can make a case for Joe missing out, but just from the noises TS has been making I think he'll be in, possibly from the start.

Although I'd rather Joe didn't play if it meant the 'Leeds 6' also didn't return.
I would after agree with that, id soon sacrifice arguebly our best player not playing for 6 of their best not playing either. Just shows how desperate they are, i do think last time we shocked them, they'll never take us lightly again.

Jack Bauer
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Jack Bauer » 25 Jun 2008, 18:48

Joe Westerman will not be playing on Friday. Him and Westwood have been dropped.

Link

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 25 Jun 2008, 18:52

Well, that's disappointing for the lad. Oh well. Stuff being around the England camp the rest of the week if he's not gonna play. Get him back on the plane ASAP for Cas on Saturday.
--------------------------------------------------------
ACCOUNT CLOSED WITH OWNERS PERMISSION

Jack Bauer
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Jack Bauer » 25 Jun 2008, 18:53

Fully wrote:Well, that's disappointing for the lad. Oh well. Stuff being around the England camp the rest of the week if he's not gonna play. Get him back on the plane ASAP for Cas on Saturday.
Agree, there's nothing keeping him there now. Lets hope he proves his point against the Rhinos.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 25 Jun 2008, 19:16

Not suprisingly the England team are now the Leeds and Saints team. Even the Subs bench as well, i thought tony smith was picking people on form, there's a few players in that squad lucky to be in there.
Mauri Fa'savalu though seriously wtf? im sure even Saints fans would rather see a new talent like Joe come on and dazzle rather than someone who's been over here what 4 years. Its seriously not on and not right!
But then again doe's us some good for saturday, just hope joe being the proffesional he is keeps is chin up and impresses like always.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 25 Jun 2008, 19:18

I'd imagine both Joe and Ben Westwood will stay in France for the game, just in case of injuries.

Can't see any reason why Joe won't play on Saturday though.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 25 Jun 2008, 19:22

With games joes playing and how he works himself into ground i wouldn't like to see him play two very tough games in space of 20 odd hours, the French will bring it to England so it wont be easy for anyone. Not only does joe playing one for England and then tirelessly on the Saturday, knwoing Joe if he picks up a knock he'l carry on playing throughout weeks and we need him at business end of season if were going to finish off bottom.

fenton
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: AFenton90

Post by fenton » 25 Jun 2008, 20:47

Gutted for him, but he has to look at it the other way.

Even though he's signed a new 4 year deal with us, TS has picked him in the England squad, there hasn't been a Cas player play at the highest level (GB - Now England) for some time now

He'll get plenty more opportunities to play for England while with us, and doesn't need to move clubs for his international career.