A few random thoughts

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Cas Vegas Kop King

A few random thoughts

Post by Cas Vegas Kop King » 17 Jun 2008, 12:59

We all knew that before this season it was going to be tough and there would be times in the season where we felt dejected and maybe even question why we pay the good money to travel places like London, Cardiff and Perpignan. It was clear from the off that because of no relegation that we wouldnt be panic buying and assembling a full squad for the start of the season, that it would be a work in progress with us adding players through the season. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the fact there is no relegation means the club hasnt overspent and that really it is all about the future. Us as fans are not happy where we are in the table but its what was to be expected. We have a young squad with some great potential in there, if we can bring in 6 or 7 quality players then I don't see why we can't be pushing for a top 8 spot next year, I think top 6 is too big an ask personally.

Just look at how Les Catalans have done, in theory they are coming to the end of their '3 year franchise' with no relegation, they struggled first season, a better second season including the cup final and now this season where they are in the top 3. Im not saying this will be the same for Cas but it gives us hope for the future that with some decent signings and more importantly more than one season to try and build a team, that Cas can progress and become a good SL club.

Basically my points are that we are building a team for the franchise period (not a one year quick fix) and Cas has the potential to re-establish itself as an upper tier SL team in the long term. Add in the fact that we already have 2 SL quality players signed for next season and we have to be optimistic.

Another point I want to make is people calling for TM to be sacked or to leave at the end of the season. Personally I think its rubbish. The guy has the hardest job in the league. In his first season he had limited time to put a squad together and nearly kept us up. The second season he got us back promoted which was all that was asked of him and now this season he has to try and build a team again with limited time, lack of quality players available e.t.c. What i'm saying is that TM should be judged on what he can do given the stability of 3 years in a franchise, where there is an opportunity to sign players he wants rather than signing players for the sake of building a squad. The guy has a proven record in developing youth players, working for probably the best youth set-up in the world at Melbourne Storm, the franchise system means young players will be very important to teams, for me the guy is the right man for the job.

There are major rumours that some of the players were drinking alcohol up at Xscape on Saturday before the game on Sunday. Personally I think its disgusting, showing a lack of respect for the club and its fans. My view is that they can drink alcohol after the game, but not in the week when they are training and definitely not the night before a SL game. I understand the players have a right to go out and enjoy themselves and I have no problem seeing them at Xscape provided they are alcohol free. I think the players drinking should be fined and if necessary stripped of the captaincy if you know what I mean. Where's the professionalism guys?

On a less serious matter, I entered a fantasy rugby league team in the RL Express and my team name is Wake He's Come and they accepted it, I just hope I win a weekly or monthly prize and my team name is on the newsletter that goes out to all the Wakey fans :D

classy cas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classy cas » 17 Jun 2008, 13:06

Excellent read mate

However you would think that the Players would stop the drinking culture especially before a game to try and get off bottom spot.

If they want to drink a night before the game then we should stop going to watch them. we work all week to go and support our team and this is the way they pay us. This is where TM should be harder and fine the culprits. HIT them where it hurts.

monkeyface
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: A few random thoughts

Post by monkeyface » 17 Jun 2008, 13:07

Cas Vegas Kop King wrote:We all knew that before this season it was going to be tough and there would be times in the season where we felt dejected and maybe even question why we pay the good money to travel places like London, Cardiff and Perpignan. It was clear from the off that because of no relegation that we wouldnt be panic buying and assembling a full squad for the start of the season, that it would be a work in progress with us adding players through the season. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the fact there is no relegation means the club hasnt overspent and that really it is all about the future. Us as fans are not happy where we are in the table but its what was to be expected. We have a young squad with some great potential in there, if we can bring in 6 or 7 quality players then I don't see why we can't be pushing for a top 8 spot next year, I think top 6 is too big an ask personally.

Just look at how Les Catalans have done, in theory they are coming to the end of their '3 year franchise' with no relegation, they struggled first season, a better second season including the cup final and now this season where they are in the top 3. Im not saying this will be the same for Cas but it gives us hope for the future that with some decent signings and more importantly more than one season to try and build a team, that Cas can progress and become a good SL club.

Basically my points are that we are building a team for the franchise period (not a one year quick fix) and Cas has the potential to re-establish itself as an upper tier SL team in the long term. Add in the fact that we already have 2 SL quality players signed for next season and we have to be optimistic.

Another point I want to make is people calling for TM to be sacked or to leave at the end of the season. Personally I think its rubbish. The guy has the hardest job in the league. In his first season he had limited time to put a squad together and nearly kept us up. The second season he got us back promoted which was all that was asked of him and now this season he has to try and build a team again with limited time, lack of quality players available e.t.c. What i'm saying is that TM should be judged on what he can do given the stability of 3 years in a franchise, where there is an opportunity to sign players he wants rather than signing players for the sake of building a squad. The guy has a proven record in developing youth players, working for probably the best youth set-up in the world at Melbourne Storm, the franchise system means young players will be very important to teams, for me the guy is the right man for the job.

There are major rumours that some of the players were drinking alcohol up at Xscape on Saturday before the game on Sunday. Personally I think its disgusting, showing a lack of respect for the club and its fans. My view is that they can drink alcohol after the game, but not in the week when they are training and definitely not the night before a SL game. I understand the players have a right to go out and enjoy themselves and I have no problem seeing them at Xscape provided they are alcohol free. I think the players drinking should be fined and if necessary stripped of the captaincy if you know what I mean. Where's the professionalism guys?

On a less serious matter, I entered a fantasy rugby league team in the RL Express and my team name is Wake He's Come and they accepted it, I just hope I win a weekly or monthly prize and my team name is on the newsletter that goes out to all the Wakey fans :D
Nice quotes hopefully it all will end well for us, and your team name,
FANTASTIC had a chuckle, :D :D :D

Cas Vegas Kop King

Post by Cas Vegas Kop King » 17 Jun 2008, 13:16

Excellent read mate

However you would think that the Players would stop the drinking culture especially before a game to try and get off bottom spot.

If they want to drink a night before the game then we should stop going to watch them. we work all week to go and support our team and this is the way they pay us. This is where TM should be harder and fine the culprits. HIT them where it hurts.
I totally agree, a club like Leeds wouldn't stand for players drinking like that. I dunno maybe there is a lack of passion because of the no relegation so players think they can do what they want. I'd have no problem seeing the players fined or even droped, any player.
Nice quotes hopefully it all will end well for us, and your team name,
FANTASTIC had a chuckle, :D :D :D
Cheers, I was gunna go for Wakefield Wildtw but I though thats too obvious, thought I'd slip a sly dig in there.

zeuss
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: A few random thoughts

Post by zeuss » 18 Jun 2008, 10:56

Cas Vegas Kop King wrote:...There are major rumours that some of the players were drinking alcohol up at Xscape on Saturday before the game on Sunday. Personally I think its disgusting, showing a lack of respect for the club and its fans. My view is that they can drink alcohol after the game, but not in the week when they are training and definitely not the night before a SL game. I understand the players have a right to go out and enjoy themselves and I have no problem seeing them at Xscape provided they are alcohol free. I think the players drinking should be fined and if necessary stripped of the captaincy if you know what I mean. Where's the professionalism guys?
One of the things that has amazed me about some posters on this board is the number of people who listen to what the second cousins', uncles' hair dresser has told them as fact! You said it yourself and I have taken the liberty of boldfacing it RUMOUR! which means it isn't worth a pinch of %$#@ and I know that is one thing (FACT) that really annoys the WHOLE team. Rant over

Skip
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Skip » 18 Jun 2008, 11:11

Zeuss, rumours I can deal with. If I hear something from one or two people, I can take it with a pinch of salt.

Hearing the same story from 5/6/7 different people and then hearing a seperate story that backs it up... Then it becomes a little more than just a rumour in my opinion.

However, unless I see it myself (though I have seen pics of the lads being more than a little tanked up!) then I still treat it as something I can't prove.

But the old saying 'there's no smoke without fire' springs to mind...

If the lads weren't seen out at all the night before games, then there wouldn't BE any rumours, would there?

Even if the lads are on just pop all night - the fact they're out leads to chinese whispers. It's a shame some of them don't realise this. At the end of the day if the lads leave themselves open to abuse, they should expect to get it. Simple as.

Part of being a professional sportsman is that you have to act accordingly. You are the public face of the club, and have to be whiter than white. It's part and parcel of the job. If players can't cope with that, they shouldn't be pro's - full stop.
Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?

There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I walk that line every day.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 18 Jun 2008, 11:25

TM may well as u have said in the first season had his hands delt 2 him abit but it does not take away the fact the guy cannot teach defense in my eyes and he doesnt seem to be a great man manager as seen with mason brough korky and all be it roumors that fly about like players out on lash night before games inn fighting there all as a manager what he should be dealing with and our fitness is still poor although that has to go down to the conditioner and also as u say we are a team in building but why i think every one is so dismayed and feels 20 x worse is the way we won the grand final and then the board made a big statement about 7 to 10 top quality players will be brought in for this season if they had come out and said this season is going to be mainly bringing our youth through with adding some players as we go i could have accepted more.

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 18 Jun 2008, 11:32

slightly ot i know but i once called my fantasy rl team.

Bradford Bulls Hitters! that got through too!