Goalkicking

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Frustrated Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Goalkicking

Post by Frustrated Tiger » 15 Jun 2008, 14:39

With all the rumours flying around as to which players we may be recruiting I'm slightly alarmed we aren't being linked with a prolific goal kicker. I feel we are losing out on vital points because we don't have a good enough kicker and when you think of how many games we have lost at home that have been close it could have meant us being further up the table.

Leeds lost to Harlequins last night( :D :D :D )in my opinion beacuse they missed too many conversions.Any thoughts?

Stoke Bloke
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Erm......Stoke surprisingly. Thats the rough bit between Manchester and Birmingham.

Post by Stoke Bloke » 15 Jun 2008, 14:47

When we went down in 2004 we were relegated because we didnt have a reliable kicker. We lost 4 games when we actually scored more tries than the opposition and thats what cost us, but hey what do the fans know eh?. Not had a decent kicker in Superleague since Bartrim and he wasnt exactly Mr reliable.

Stokie
BE LOYAL BE LOUD BE CAS.

John 3:16

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 15 Jun 2008, 15:20

Completely agree that a 90% kicker is needed, that's something which often cost us games going back to the pre SL era when Crooks was out 1st choice kicker.

This season though, it seems like we're scoring fewer tries in most games but making the gap look less because of good kicking. Yes there have been games where we've missed far too many, but equally there have been games like in France where we were out scored by 3 or more tries yet we kicked every conversion.

Long term I think Joe is our best bet, but at his age and stage in his career he shouldn't be on the pitch every minute of every game. IMO your kicker needs to be an 80 minute man so maybe for the short term anyway the job goes to Dixon?
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

Frustrated Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Frustrated Tiger » 15 Jun 2008, 15:43

I'm really not sure,my initial thoughts were Huby but now i'm not sure!I feel we have to recruit someone cos our field place kicking isn't good enough either.

Bartrim is the last decent kicker i remember as well with the exception of rat face (Brough)

Jack Bauer
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Jack Bauer » 15 Jun 2008, 15:45

Frustrated Tiger wrote:I'm really not sure,my initial thoughts were Huby but now i'm not sure!I feel we have to recruit someone cos our field place kicking isn't good enough either.

Bartrim is the last decent kicker i remember as well with the exception of rat face (Brough)
Brough was a good kicker on some days but shocking on another. The last good kicker we had was Bartrim.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 15 Jun 2008, 15:45

Frustrated Tiger wrote:I'm really not sure,my initial thoughts were Huby but now i'm not sure!I feel we have to recruit someone cos our field place kicking isn't good enough either.

Broughy had his off days, just seems they were all in a Cas shirt!

Huby should be used in spells, and would be in a stronger squad. Can you really afford your lead goal kicker to be on and off the bench?
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

alf garnett
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alf garnett » 15 Jun 2008, 17:37

we got one
joe westerman
alf garnett 2006 & 2007 winner of the casforum.co.uk most negative poster and we hate the BOD poster
super leagure we dont care -sorry wakey we dont want to share

Syker

Re: Goalkicking

Post by Syker » 15 Jun 2008, 18:01

Frustrated Tiger wrote:With all the rumours flying around as to which players we may be recruiting I'm slightly alarmed we aren't being linked with a prolific goal kicker. I feel we are losing out on vital points because we don't have a good enough kicker and when you think of how many games we have lost at home that have been close it could have meant us being further up the table.

Leeds lost to Harlequins last night( :D :D :D )in my opinion beacuse they missed too many conversions.Any thoughts?
So youre saying Sinfield is a bad Kicker??? If you are i suggest you get a buss pass to Fieldhead! Leeds lost last night because they were the worse team.

I agree with your post though about us having a good kicker in the team..... I would give westerman time.... But in the not too distant future i cant see us gettin anyone as we have problem getting players, never mind players who can kick.

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 15 Jun 2008, 19:38

Are you kidding me :?

We are at a stage that we havent been in the last 10 years at cas that we have a local talent who is one of the best kickers around. Joe Westerman is accomplished enough thank you
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

Glassblower

Post by Glassblower » 15 Jun 2008, 20:15

May be we should score more tries first, sick of hearing how good our attack is.

Jack Bauer
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Jack Bauer » 15 Jun 2008, 20:17

Glassblower wrote:May be we should score more tries first, sick of hearing how good our attack is.
I agree, it's okay been good in the middle of the pitch and even within the 20, but when we get near the line we keep going to pot then whats the point.

Beth
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Beth » 15 Jun 2008, 20:18

Jamie Bloem talking about our supposedly amazing attack - "When Cas are playing, the matches are never boring." Yeah, for the other fans it isn't. Watching their teams literally waltz around our defence is probably delightful to watch. :roll:
Last edited by Beth on 15 Jun 2008, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

Glassblower

Post by Glassblower » 15 Jun 2008, 20:18

Jack Bauer wrote:
Glassblower wrote:May be we should score more tries first, sick of hearing how good our attack is.
I agree, it's okay been good in the middle of the pitch and even within the 20, but when we get near the line we keep going to pot then whats the point.
Back to the drawing board.
sigh'

Frustrated Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Frustrated Tiger » 15 Jun 2008, 22:45

Dettoriman maybe you could tell me what his conversion percentage is?One of the lowest in the league I would guess.Leeds would of been dead and buried at home well before they were if Joe had kicked anything like,and one or two more.Besides which I think Joe has more than enough pressure on him at 18 without having to kick goal.
I wasn't saying Sinfield is a bad kicker,they all have their off days but you have to convert your tries at the standard cos it has a habit of biting you on the rear if not.

Frustrated Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Frustrated Tiger » 15 Jun 2008, 22:47

:D :D :D :D One of the best kickers around?!Based on what?

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 16 Jun 2008, 08:50

He may not be the greatest percentage, but he isnt playing for st helens or leeds where they run 6 and 7 tries a game under the posts.

I arent worried about goal kicking with westy in the team
Loyalty Costs Nothing !