welcome to the club

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: welcome to the club

Post by gateman » 23 Sep 2018, 23:53

It looks to me who ever wins and gains entre to super league this time its going to be to the deritment of ouur game, the powers that be will see TV as the thing thats going to boost our game, being a person that watches games played at every level this is were the players come from if Toronto do win there is nothing below them i cant see teams springing up in Canada for a very long time i hope i am wrong, Cumbria is a different Kettle of fish

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 24 Sep 2018, 00:02

Cumbria is irrelevant in this discussion for the simple fact that it’s such a huge area without decent travel links. There’s also no one with money willing to finance one of the clubs to the top, nor are the fans willing to join together to support a joint Cumbrian team. It isnt that the game is leaving them behind, it’s that there is no one with the money or willpower to drag the area forward. Clubs like Newcastle, York, Toronto have all caught up or become better.

If fans are that arsed perhaps they should get off their backsides and support them instead of Whitehaven and Barrow pulling in just 800 fans.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 24 Sep 2018, 00:06

HuddsTigers wrote:Cumbria is irrelevant in this discussion for the simple fact that it’s such a huge area without decent travel links. There’s also no one with money willing to finance one of the clubs to the top, nor are the fans willing to join together to support a joint Cumbrian team. It isnt that the game is leaving them behind, it’s that there is no one with the money or willpower to drag the area forward. Clubs like Newcastle, York, Toronto have all caught up or become better.

If fans are that arsed perhaps they should get off their backsides and support them instead of Whitehaven and Barrow pulling in just 800 fans.
:clap: :clap:
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 24 Sep 2018, 00:07

HuddsTigers wrote:Cumbria is irrelevant in this discussion for the simple fact that it’s such a huge area without decent travel links. There’s also no one with money willing to finance one of the clubs to the top, nor are the fans willing to join together to support a joint Cumbrian team. It isnt that the game is leaving them behind, it’s that there is no one with the money or willpower to drag the area forward. Clubs like Newcastle, York, Toronto have all caught up or become better.

I think the game needs a strong team in leeds lol

Adelaide Tigurrrr!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Adelaide Tigurrrr! » 24 Sep 2018, 06:32

Spot on HT.

People bagging Toronto seem to forget that they have only been around for 2 years unlike Cumbrian clubs and other struggling clubs that have had over 100 years to get it right.

Teams like Cas over the years have just relied on a local businessmen to bankroll them and other sports have left us behind when it comes to sponsorship and TV deals. If we stay as we are then the game itself will get less money and we will end up semi-pro as we were back in 1995.

As for away fans it is up to Cas to fill the stadium with their own fans. I follow Adelaide Utd and except when Melbourne Victory rock up with around 300 supporters - it is an 8 hour drive to Adelaide from Melbourne - for all other home games some teans only bring 20 or 30 supporters.

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 24 Sep 2018, 07:32

I think the idea that some mega TV deal is coming in North America is simply madness. Do people honestly believe that TV companies are waiting to give toronta and super league a deal over baseball and ice hockey.

At best it will be something like a Canadian premier sports, hardly espn prime time.

Burratha
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Burratha » 24 Sep 2018, 08:51

gateman wrote:One of my mates went to Toronto with Hunslet £800 for 5 days its a bit out of the reach for most of our fans
Just out of interest, how does that compare to Catalans?

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 24 Sep 2018, 08:57

It cost about £350 for me this year @ Cats.

I will go to Toronto at some point. If I can afford next season then I will go, if not, it's no biggie.

Catalans away will always be a definite for me, its a great weekend.
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 24 Sep 2018, 09:50

its been said that the Cumbrian teams attract only a few supporters some of you old fans like myself may remember gates of 500 at Weldon RD when were, bumping along at the bottom of the league its only when the likes of the CAS H bombs came along that the support started to pick up ,

Kenilworth Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Kenilworth Tiger » 24 Sep 2018, 10:01

I'd love it to be Toulouse - really easy to get to and a great city
I don't have a favourite second team - it's Cas 100% for me

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 24 Sep 2018, 10:49

I think Toulouse is the most attractive proposition at the moment, but simply because of Catalans already being in SL. A second team in France is imperative & should generate further interest in talent pool, audience & sponsorhip. It couldn't come at a better time either with Catalans having won the Challenge Cup this year. You only have to look at the impact of France winning the football World Cup in 1998.
SL has to strike while the iron is hot & the prospect of a French derby would really enhance the game & bring us nearer to a professional French domestic league.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 24 Sep 2018, 10:56

steadygetyerboots-on wrote:I think Toulouse is the most attractive proposition at the moment, but simply because of Catalans already being in SL. A second team in France is imperative & should generate further interest in talent pool, audience & sponsorhip. It couldn't come at a better time either with Catalans having won the Challenge Cup this year. You only have to look at the impact of France winning the football World Cup in 1998.
SL has to strike while the iron is hot & the prospect of a French derby would really enhance the game & bring us nearer to a professional French domestic league.
This :clap:

Tawera Nikau = Legend

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 24 Sep 2018, 12:20

with the fixtures this weekend I would put my money on a Toronto v London million pound game, but there again I must be one of the worst tippers on this forum

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 24 Sep 2018, 12:42

If the results go this weekend how i think/hope they will,

Leeds to beat Toronto by 3 scores. Toronto end up on -1 points difference.
Toulouse to beat Salford by 1 score. Toulouse end up on +6 points difference.
Hull KR to beat Widnes by 3 scores. Hull KR end up on +23 points difference.
London to beat Halifax for 4 scores. London end up on +14 points difference.

I think the table will end up like;
Leeds 12pts
Hull KR 10pts
Salford 8pts
London 8pts
Toulouse 8pts
Toronto 8pts
Widnes 2pts
Halifax 0pts

I think at this moment, Toulouse would bring more to SL than Toronto as outlined by Steady earlier on. Plus, it would be interesting to see how Argyll and Perez deal with the disappointment, would they reduce funding / walk away??

Tawera Nikau = Legend

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 24 Sep 2018, 16:11

How sick would you be Stevie if all those results went the way you're predicting,get down the bookies fella!Just a case of if the Whinos turn up against Toronto.

noxandrattles
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by noxandrattles » 24 Sep 2018, 17:02

steadygetyerboots-on wrote:I think Toulouse is the most attractive proposition at the moment, but simply because of Catalans already being in SL. A second team in France is imperative & should generate further interest in talent pool, audience & sponsorhip. It couldn't come at a better time either with Catalans having won the Challenge Cup this year. You only have to look at the impact of France winning the football World Cup in 1998.

also if fixtures work out right could mean a week in south of france to see 2 games :D :D :D

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 24 Sep 2018, 19:37

noxandrattles wrote:

also if fixtures work out right could mean a week in south of france to see 2 games :D :D :D
How did I miss that?! Ring the RFL!
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 24 Sep 2018, 21:12

steadygetyerboots-on wrote:
noxandrattles wrote:

How did I miss that?! Ring the RFL!
If only the RFL (Or more accurately, Super League Europe) had the kind of intelligence to organise the fixtures so teams play Tolouse and Catalans away in subsequent weeks...

Itd be incredibly easy to sort, would cut costs for teams, and allow travelling fans (particularly in the summer months proper) an opportunity for a bumper holiday - oh and give a potential extra revenue stream for clubs partnering up with travel companies.

But this is the organisation that has ditched the best part of the 8s (the middle 8s) and kept the worst part (meaningless loop fixtures)... so such thinking won't even cross their minds.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 25 Sep 2018, 01:18

Unfortunately very true squaddie

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 25 Sep 2018, 06:47

One point I disagree with is that it would cut costs for clubs. Surely it would be more expensive.

Teams fly out on one day and come back the next mostly. If you play teams back to back, it would cost teams more in hotel costs including players and support staff. You also have to hire out training facilities. Then add on to that travel costs from Perpignan to Toulouse.

It’s much cheaper for the team to fly out, come back and then fly out again the following week.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!