squad numbers

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: squad numbers

Post by HuddsTigers » 20 Jan 2018, 11:45

To give him full time training in a quality environment?
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Jan 2018, 11:54

I know theres a argument somewhere else on the forum but i think it would be better if we had a second team like wakey are starting ...i know there are arguments for and against before anyone jumps down my throat
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 20 Jan 2018, 11:59

HuddsTigers wrote:To give him full time training in a quality environment?

I get that but it's the risk of it. If it doesn't work out it's a years payment for nothing, if it does work out we'll get first dibs on a new deal.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 20 Jan 2018, 12:01

tigerfeat wrote:I know theres a argument somewhere else on the forum but i think it would be better if we had a second team like wakey are starting ...i know there are arguments for and against before anyone jumps down my throat

I'm with you. Cas B team consisting of Clare Bustin Jy Maher Douglas Clark Gadwin against say Wakey B team with Baldwinson Annakin Batchelor Caton-brown Arundel plus all the kids would be a great watch for me! rather than 2 at Newcastle, 2 at Halifax, 1 at Bradford ECT..

TownvillesTiger

Post by TownvillesTiger » 20 Jan 2018, 13:23

Casmoley wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:Sorry for being mr thicko what odds it make who got a number who not got number if powell wanted to pick turner or anybody else he could couldnt he ?

personally i think it's for the youngster, he must see something in them to take them to Lanzarote. Wigan have a squad of 39. I guarantee the 4/5 missing out would have had that bit more confidence with a squad number.
I think the youngsters going to Lanzarote were very much an after thought, as they were invited very late to join the party.

Even in the late afternoon yesterday some of the young lads didn't know if they were or werent going to the event last night.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 20 Jan 2018, 14:03

Casmoley wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:
Casmoley wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:Sorry for being mr thicko what odds it make who got a number who not got number if powell wanted to pick turner or anybody else he could couldnt he ?

personally i think it's for the youngster, he must see something in them to take them to Lanzarote. Wigan have a squad of 39. I guarantee the 4/5 missing out would have had that bit more confidence with a squad number.
Yeah id have gone another number and put turner in

like Bustin, sign him on a one year deal and ship him out too Bradford. No squad number possibly won't play for us.. makes you wonder why sign him in the first place.
So we have him tied up while we monitor how he goes in week in week out competition. I don't agree with it, but without a reserve team what choice is there? The RFL should be making reserve teams compulsory IMO.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 20 Jan 2018, 17:22

derbystiger wrote:
Casmoley wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:
Casmoley wrote:

Yeah id have gone another number and put turner in

like Bustin, sign him on a one year deal and ship him out too Bradford. No squad number possibly won't play for us.. makes you wonder why sign him in the first place.
So we have him tied up while we monitor how he goes in week in week out competition. I don't agree with it, but without a reserve team what choice is there? The RFL should be making reserve teams compulsory IMO.

I agree.

Johnlewis1920
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Johnlewis1920 » 20 Jan 2018, 18:36

Regards RFL making reserve grade compulsory I understand that the super league clubs hold power on that decision and the super league CEO in favour are in the minority the money sky pump into the greatest game especially over recent years those CEO who vote against should hold there heads in shame for there short sightedness the seamless transition within each super league club from academy to potential first grade is sadly missing
COYF

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 20 Jan 2018, 19:26

Casmoley wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:To give him full time training in a quality environment?

I get that but it's the risk of it. If it doesn't work out it's a years payment for nothing, if it does work out we'll get first dibs on a new deal.
Surely there’s no risk at all? Are Bradford paying his salary? We hold his registration and we get to monitor his development and keep growing him in our environment.

There’s little risk. If he plays well we get a good player. If he doesn’t play well or we don’t see enough in him, it gives him security of being able to get a deal at another club and put him in the shop window.

Remember this is a young kid who may have been lost to the game. I actually see this as a good thing the club have done in supporting a young lad in his dreams.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 20 Jan 2018, 23:52

Johnlewis1920 wrote:Regards RFL making reserve grade compulsory I understand that the super league clubs hold power on that decision and the super league CEO in favour are in the minority the money sky pump into the greatest game especially over recent years those CEO who vote against should hold there heads in shame for there short sightedness the seamless transition within each super league club from academy to potential first grade is sadly missing
COYF
Bang on. The RFL should grow a pair though and take that responsibility on themselves, and just tell the clubs - from next season the reserve grade competition starts. If you don't run one then you can't play in SL. Too much a case of the tail wagging the dog with certain things in my opinion

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 21 Jan 2018, 09:03

being one of the older fans going back to the 60s/70s we used to get some decent gates watching the second team, IF the club did decide to go down this route the games could be played on Sundays when the first team as played midweek who knows the fans my support it so making financially viable

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 21 Jan 2018, 12:16

This reserve issue is one of them which could be addressed in a semi-franchise model; I am not endorsing going back to the way that was applied before.

For a reserve grade to work, it needs to be credible and have enough games of a competitive nature to be worthwhile. Personally, mandating the running of it seems the right call, a portion of the Sky money, it could be mandated, but Sky would not be interested in the games, so wouldn't make that part work - RFL could mandate that a certain part of the funding accrued HAD to be applied to running a reserve grade.

The interesting juxtaposition to this is if it was mandatory and then there were easements and incentives to win the reserve grade championship for arguments sake, you do run the risk of bankroll clubs hovering up the tier 2 talent, playing every week, which is a scenario we saw before.

It is complicated, but shouldn't be beyond the realms of the possible IF developing the game is the objective, but I would argue that most club supporters and CEO's would take their own club winning the GF and the personal rewards over an England world cup win for instance.

Shareholder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shareholder » 21 Jan 2018, 12:37

I used to enjoy watching the reserve grade play in its day , players like A trialist, S O else and R Kidd were always a topic of conversation , most of them coming from our local clubs . It would be interesting to know what the cost of running an academy is. A reserve grade wouldn’t solve the problem, but I do believe that reducing the 19s to 18s and then bringing back the under 20s with 4/5 overage players would be of better benefit.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 21 Jan 2018, 13:04

I enjoyed Friday night A team games. The younger spectators could run around the ground and get used to coming to games. In fact Rob Burrow and his mates from Airedale would run up and down the terraces. Andy Lynch used to get MOM every week. The old stagers played alongside the newcomers and helped them develop (and looked after them if it got physical). Players coming back from injury could ease their way back in. An A team has a role.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 21 Jan 2018, 14:07

we went to many A team games & thoroughly enjoyed them, but i would imagine it would take too much cash out of the first team budget to be able to afford to run one these days.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 21 Jan 2018, 14:22

Rubbish, Warrington said the cost was minimal, it is a crime to see so many young lads with potential forced out of the game because there is nowhere for them to continue their development after the academy, how many great players would have been lost to our sport if the same short sighted approach had have been applied in days gone past.
As a sport we cannot keep losing these players from the game if we want to thrive, every side in SL as a responsibility to the game and producing a clear pathway for players is vital.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 21 Jan 2018, 20:05

Shareholder wrote:I used to enjoy watching the reserve grade play in its day , players like A trialist, S O else and R Kidd were always a topic of conversation , most of them coming from our local clubs . It would be interesting to know what the cost of running an academy is. A reserve grade wouldn’t solve the problem, but I do believe that reducing the 19s to 18s and then bringing back the under 20s with 4/5 overage players would be of better benefit.
What about AN Other????

Weareone

Post by Weareone » 21 Jan 2018, 20:50