Jamie Ellis

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Jamie Ellis

Post by Mysterio » 19 Oct 2017, 09:12

fords wrote:
Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Why do you think there are more posts questioning this signing than praising it?

A lot of this negativity is still around due to the GF debacle and people may be looking for a "Boost" to lift that gloom. Just because people arent 100% behind everything the club does doesnt mean they are doom and gloom merchants does it?

A forum is there to discuss issues around the club and you will always get differing extreme views. Have you seen a post that really believes Ellis is what we need? Take your time looking for that one Gateman?
The only thing we need is 2 props.

FB can be sorted by moving Roberts there either for 2yrs until Zak returns or until we can find a quality replacement if we get rid of him.
Here here.
Audacter Et Sincere

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 19 Oct 2017, 10:26

fords wrote:
Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Why do you think there are more posts questioning this signing than praising it?

A lot of this negativity is still around due to the GF debacle and people may be looking for a "Boost" to lift that gloom. Just because people arent 100% behind everything the club does doesnt mean they are doom and gloom merchants does it?

A forum is there to discuss issues around the club and you will always get differing extreme views. Have you seen a post that really believes Ellis is what we need? Take your time looking for that one Gateman?
The only thing we need is 2 props.

FB can be sorted by moving Roberts there either for 2yrs until Zak returns or until we can find a quality replacement if we get rid of him.
Would you want him back after two years? As a fan I'd be very disappointed if my team were in your position and took a player like that back on, he's had three "misdemeanours" and been given plenty of chances.

classysupercas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classysupercas » 19 Oct 2017, 10:30

having watched and played rugby league for decades i would like to say that having given this signing much thought i tend to agree that all things taken into account this was probally a very shrewd signing by daryl.All year we have struggled with our kicking game,and we have lost some games, especially the grand final because our kicking game was extremley poor. Added to that we are unable to play our normal game in the rain, jamie will give us a new dimention and element of surprise in the game. this we have been sorely lacking this season.so while i do understand peoples negative posts on here because they was expecting signing much much better, i say we will be a better team with him than without him, even tho i must admit i wasnt a fan of him when he played for us before. benny is hit and miss and his kicking game is poor so we need backup especially if we dont sign a full back which i think is a absolute priority. so chaps give jamie our support eh? it probally didnt break the bank either.

chief193
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chief193 » 19 Oct 2017, 11:29

I did not buy into this hysteria around the Ellis signing, although I get where it comes from. We have been through a seasons worth of rollacoaster emotions in the last 3 weeks, from the massive high of the saints win then the hardacre story breaks g and ultimately our GF loss, we are all craving a bit of good news. Ruings hav changed a lot since the club said they would not be any major squad changes and we have been probably moved on more players than we though w would be for various reasons, Ellis is a player DP knows and he can slot in a number of positions giving us options. As a squad/rotation player he’s good to have and it gives back the option of a half/hooker on the bench to mix things up if needed which is something we did with Rangi but lost that option really when he left. It’s not like the club have said that Ellis is our marquee signing and there will be no more new players so let’s try to be patient and see what happens, as I said a lot has changed and the club will need to change its strategy to suit.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 19 Oct 2017, 11:37

Ellis may prove a shrewd signing. The negative comments of some is understandable for those who have supported the club who have seen us reach the top table,only to make bang average signings in the past and gone backwards.

Mid 90's when that great sides with the 3 kiwis prominent who then left who did we get?...Richard Goddard,Adrian Flynn and Brendon Tuuta (harsh to compare to Nikau mind).

In the early noughties when Raper had us competing we bought in the likes of Darren Shaw,Logan Campbell & Andrew Purcell.

I hope the new signings prove me wrong, but so far kind of concerned we are on a rinse & repeat cycle.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 19 Oct 2017, 14:16

duke street 10 wrote:Ellis may prove a shrewd signing. The negative comments of some is understandable for those who have supported the club who have seen us reach the top table,only to make bang average signings in the past and gone backwards.

Mid 90's when that great sides with the 3 kiwis prominent who then left who did we get?...Richard Goddard,Adrian Flynn and Brendon Tuuta (harsh to compare to Nikau mind).

In the early noughties when Raper had us competing we bought in the likes of Darren Shaw,Logan Campbell & Andrew Purcell.

I hope the new signings prove me wrong, but so far kind of concerned we are on a rinse & repeat cycle.
Accurately sums up the roots of the discontent and concern.
Hardaker has a hell of a lot to answer for this though. Club are backed onto a corner somewhat. However fact has remained that we need a couple of first team front rowers. Until that gets sorted the discontent will bubble I imagine.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 19 Oct 2017, 18:26

duke street 10 wrote:Ellis may prove a shrewd signing. The negative comments of some is understandable for those who have supported the club who have seen us reach the top table,only to make bang average signings in the past and gone backwards.

I could understand more if this was a side that hadn't just finished top of the league and made a Grand Final (which no other Cas side has ever done). The simple fact for me is that you always have your first choice 17 and then an underbelly of squad player who can step in for that 17 when injured.

Barring Hardaker, none of the others were in our starting 17. A starting 17 which for large parts was good enough to finish top of the league. If the team can reach the same high standards again, why do we need to waste money on recruiting another top player to dislodge another top player. One of the things I've heard over CTSC meetings across the last few years is about not causing discontent within the squad. Players should want competition for places but they also shouldn't feel like they aren't good enough - AND especially after last season.

We've also had issues over recent years where we've blown our budget on a squad of 20 top level players and had naff all back-up. We actually have done so well over recent years because of our squad depth compared to other teams.

We now have 22 first team players, plus Maher, Egodo, Gill, Douglas and Trueman. We're 4 players short of where we started last season and we added Foster and Larroyer along the way (I'm not including Crooks as he was never part of our squad last year).

A full-back and another prop and we'll be tip top I think.

Monaghan - Lo
Patrick - Clark
Larroyer - Wardle
Fitzsimmons - Foster (who joined mid-season)
T Holmes - Trueman (who wasn't part of our squad)
Rangi - Ellis

That leaves Lynch, Million, Sheehan and Hardaker to replace from our original 30. Million and Sheehan can be replaced by Jacques O'Neill/Cory Aston (he has played a bit at hooker for Sheffield) and Sheehan replaced by Pat Diskin potentially?

That leaves Lynch and Hardaker. Prop we know is a must signing for us and then Hardaker is a bit of an unknown until we know the situation with his contract.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 19 Oct 2017, 19:09

Are you really comparing fitzimmons to foster? Foster came in because oggy was really struggling with injury and DP wanted Jesse in the middle. With junior injured we were short of a left edge back rower. Enter Foster.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 19 Oct 2017, 19:42

To be honest, I thought Jamie Ellis was playing some really good rugby for Cas before he left and I predict he will shock some of you doubters out there once DP gets hold of him and tunes him in as he masterly does with others. I predict Ben Roberts may finish at FB but that's not a bad thing when he comes into the line on the flanks as he is strong and will trouble most centres and wingers and I think Ellis has a much better kicking game in attack mode than Benny (which his was abysmal this year!). That's how I see it but who knows !

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 19 Oct 2017, 19:51

CasRus wrote:I think Ellis has a much better kicking game in attack mode than Benny (which his was abysmal this year!).
I'm glad someone else has mentioned it. I thought I might be one of a few who think Ellis will put pressure on Roberts who has had a poor season IMO. Ellis is a good signing and I wouldn't be surprised if he dislodges Roberts from the starting 13 altogether.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 19 Oct 2017, 19:53

Casmoley wrote:Are you really comparing fitzimmons to foster? Foster came in because oggy was really struggling with injury and DP wanted Jesse in the middle. With junior injured we were short of a left edge back rower. Enter Foster.
Fitzsimmons was a back rower who was in our squad of 30. Foster wasn’t part of our initial squad hence why Foster is replacing Fitzsimmons. He isn’t a direct replacement but for the purpose of outgoings and numbers he fits the point.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 19 Oct 2017, 19:56

HuddsTigers wrote:
Casmoley wrote:Are you really comparing fitzimmons to foster? Foster came in because oggy was really struggling with injury and DP wanted Jesse in the middle. With junior injured we were short of a left edge back rower. Enter Foster.
Fitzsimmons was a back rower who was in our squad of 30. Foster wasn’t part of our initial squad hence why Foster is replacing Fitzsimmons. He isn’t a direct replacement but for the purpose of outgoings and numbers he fits the point.

You could also argue Luis Johnson is taking Fitzsimmons place as he is also a back rower........

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 19 Oct 2017, 20:03

CasRus wrote:To be honest, I thought Jamie Ellis was playing some really good rugby for Cas before he left and I predict he will shock some of you doubters out there once DP gets hold of him and tunes him in as he masterly does with others. I predict Ben Roberts may finish at FB but that's not a bad thing when he comes into the line on the flanks as he is strong and will trouble most centres and wingers and I think Ellis has a much better kicking game in attack mode than Benny (which his was abysmal this year!). That's how I see it but who knows !
Lets remember Powell as already worked with Ellis and he wasn't deemed good enough to displace Sneyd or Finn, he did play ok when coming in as a replacement hooker.
Ellis may have improved whilst he as been on his travels but the fact the Giants shipped him off to HKR when they were really struggling in the halves would suggest not.
As cover for the halves and hooker Ellis is an OK sort of signing, but for being our starting half I aint convinced.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 19 Oct 2017, 20:21

Well, as they say, time will tell !!

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 19 Oct 2017, 20:54

Powell wanted to keep Ellis he’s got the chance of him back and got him. I also remember a game down in London and when he came on he was our best player on the park. That’s what we want players that don’t freeze when we make the big ones.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 20 Oct 2017, 10:16

With benny being hot and cold, ellis has a chance to put pressure on him. It's all good in my book. With Trueman and Mclleland slotting in when injuries hit or to rest players. It's a position sorted, among with wingers, centres, second row and loose.
Until we know about Zak we have to be cautious, leaving a prop needed if we don't see will, Brandon or gadwin as shaping up.

Tigerg
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerg » 20 Oct 2017, 11:35

Good signing IMO. This may have been mentioned in one of the previous 8 pages but I couldn’t be bothered reading all the negativity but Ellis is certainly an improvement on Tom Holmes therefore he is an improvement to the squad. In his last season at Cas he played some good stuff. I wouldn’t expect him to start too often if everyone is fully fit but he’s a good back up player and we should get behind him

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 20 Oct 2017, 15:00

I wasn't happy when he left for Huddersfield, it was another good player we lost, but I was happy when I eared we had signed him on again. He has a good pair of hands a great kicking game, all in all he is a good halfback what gives us another option.
We have been left on the back foot a bit with the Zak gate, and it has left us looking for a fullback, something we thought we had covered for the next 4 years, hopefully we can get one sorted out before we return for pre season, or next year we might be looking at a make shift on, or a youngster from the 19s

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Oct 2017, 08:42

Ellis says in League Express today:

* He was made an offer to stay last time and turned it down as he was promised the #7 shirt and regular game time at the Giants
* He jumped at the chance to return and absolutely loves the club
* He had an offer from Wakefield and turned this down; Leigh and Widnes also showed interest but never followed it up.
* He expected to be staying at Hull KR but them and Huddersfield couldn't come to an agreement
* He had chance to stay at Huddersfield but told them he didn't want to stay as he didn't feel wanted after being farmed out on loan.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 23 Oct 2017, 09:41

Good signing.
Roberts and Gale two top earners, so DP wouldn't be looking for another half back high earner. Ellis fits the bill perfectly, because when he plays in the halves there will be no significant weakness.