The Football Manager Role

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

The Football Manager Role

Post by Mysterio » 16 Aug 2017, 19:17

Recent appointments have got me considering what this role is, what it brings to the clubs?

Without doubt, we have our coaching staff down to a tee. We need nothing else.

However, given JP's Role, John Kear's role, and now Gareth Ellis at Hull, what, if any, advantage are they gaining by having this role included. Or...is it some kind of salary cap exploitation (no idea how)

I wouldn't rock the boat and bring anyone in. However, I wonder if DP would like a Football Manager (or Director) on board.

If so, for what reasons.
Audacter Et Sincere

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Re: The Football Manager Role

Post by TheSheriff » 16 Aug 2017, 19:37

Football Manager is in charge of things like contracts/hiring & firing or coaches and going out and signing players the coaching staff want/help identify potential players.

The idea is to take some stress off the coach and leave the CEO/Owner to do other things.

It's a bit like a director of Football in Football but more closer to a GM in American sports.

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 16 Aug 2017, 19:38

think but could be wrong they try to bring young talent to clubs..something like a scout in football
i think agents from other clubs players contact them when players are on move..

Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Aid » 16 Aug 2017, 23:01

Mysterio wrote:Recent appointments have got me considering what this role is, what it brings to the clubs?

However, given JP's Role, John Kear's role, and now Gareth Ellis at Hull, what, if any, advantage are they gaining by having this role included. Or...is it some kind of salary cap exploitation (no idea how)

I wouldn't rock the boat and bring anyone in. However, I wonder if DP would like a Football Manager (or Director) on board.

If so, for what reasons.
Appointing JP for the start of last season had a remarkable impact on Hull KR's fortunes!
cum on you Ford

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 16 Aug 2017, 23:22

Mysterio wrote:Recent appointments have got me considering what this role is, what it brings to the clubs?

If so, for what reasons.
I often wonder if he is full time as he seems to be on all the tv and radio coverage of rugby league.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 17 Aug 2017, 05:10

Generally i don't think they work.Only have to look at what happened at Spurs when their director of football went crazy with the money they got for Gareth Bale,signing some players the manager didn't even want!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 17 Aug 2017, 10:09

I don't think they are really needed if you have a good ceo and management team. Also the fact that the coach is from the area and his coaching team is hands on with the local talent.

There will come a time when DP won't be up to date at local level as he'll also be England coach. We might need to look at one then.

I think the main role is sorting out the lives of the players. Sorting new housing for new joiners, making sure they have nothing to think about but playing / training and making sure they are happy.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 17 Aug 2017, 10:22

I wonder if they'll find a role for Jake when he retires? He must be an awesome role model.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 17 Aug 2017, 11:59

cogito ergo sum wrote:I wonder if they'll find a role for Jake when he retires? He must be an awesome role model.
couldn't agree more