Stadium plans

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Stadium plans

Post by onetiger » 14 Apr 2014, 21:51

speedy wrote:So what is the intention of the land above the stadium that is currently fields, is that land to be turned into building for houses, This will have a massive impact on Toll Hill area if that's the case, does anyone know? If it is where will the traffic be routed from such a potentially massive housing estate, I say this because most of the farm land will disappear with the development which leaves not enough to sustain farming,

YEAH WE WASTED MONEY THERE ON PLANNING

speedy
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: @casrlfc

Post by speedy » 14 Apr 2014, 22:10

onetiger wrote:
speedy wrote:So what is the intention of the land above the stadium that is currently fields, is that land to be turned into building for houses, This will have a massive impact on Toll Hill area if that's the case, does anyone know? If it is where will the traffic be routed from such a potentially massive housing estate, I say this because most of the farm land will disappear with the development which leaves not enough to sustain farming,

Eh ?

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 14 Apr 2014, 22:49

speedy wrote:
onetiger wrote:

Eh ?
at gh did the club not pay for planning for the new ground -before the new new ground came along

Tiger Fig

Post by Tiger Fig » 15 Apr 2014, 02:24

I cannot believe what I am hearing. ''The new development will be served by a poor highway network''...''surrounded by residential properties''.
The developers are putting in £10 million into the J32 roads network alone. It is next to (you can't get much closer) a junction off the M62, it don't get much easier to get to a ground. As for ''surrounded'' look at the plans, they show no houses surround the proposed stadium. Yes Stainburn is close and this will have to be resolved.
Now look at Wheldon Road. 'Poor highway network', it don't get any poorer. 'Surroundered by residential properties', many more than the new development.
I don't profess to be a planning expert in any way but what I will say is listen to people that know what they are talking about, those that know what is needed to run a successful RL club ...... They are saying we need to move to move fwd.
These are my views and I fully appreciate others don't agree. I have a great affiliation with Wheldon Lane but we have to move with the times.

mystery
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by mystery » 15 Apr 2014, 08:09

As I understand from going to the meetings, the land above the stadium is being left as it is, too much of a slope.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 15 Apr 2014, 08:31

Tiger Fig wrote:I cannot believe what I am hearing. ''The new development will be served by a poor highway network''...''surrounded by residential properties''.
The developers are putting in £10 million into the J32 roads network alone. It is next to (you can't get much closer) a junction off the M62, it don't get much easier to get to a ground. As for ''surrounded'' look at the plans, they show no houses surround the proposed stadium. Yes Stainburn is close and this will have to be resolved.
Now look at Wheldon Road. 'Poor highway network', it don't get any poorer. 'Surroundered by residential properties', many more than the new development.
I don't profess to be a planning expert in any way but what I will say is listen to people that know what they are talking about, those that know what is needed to run a successful RL club ...... They are saying we need to move to move fwd.
These are my views and I fully appreciate others don't agree. I have a great affiliation with Wheldon Lane but we have to move with the times.
spot on :clap:

hard team to follow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by hard team to follow » 15 Apr 2014, 09:40

Tiger Fig wrote:I cannot believe what I am hearing. ''The new development will be served by a poor highway network''...''surrounded by residential properties''.
:clap: :clap: Well said sick of people living in the past.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 16 Apr 2014, 12:29

You can spot those that don't give a toss on the impact of new developments but I've no doubt they'll be the first to complain when they cannot get through the queues to Ponte!

When referring to the developemnt I'm talking about the whole development and not just the stadium. This is primarliy a retail development in operation 7 days a week with the roads on either side (Stainburn Ave and Spittal Hardwick Lane) containing residential properties.

I also had to laugh at the comment that claimed the developer does not need to build a stadium! There certaily a shotage of developers willing to chuck £30+m at any development on any aspect they don't feel is necessary. There's only one reason they are proposing a stadium, to buy both the public of Cas and WMDC.

I don't want Cas to lose out on new facilities but the area over t'other side on the old pit stack is, IMO, much more suitable to this type of development than the wonderful countryside near Holywell woods.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

mystery
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by mystery » 16 Apr 2014, 13:07

Yes but the developers don't own the land you are talking about! I live on Park Road and at the moment am more interested if Aldi is going to build there.

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 16 Apr 2014, 13:27

Flat Capper wrote:You can spot those that don't give a toss on the impact of new developments but I've no doubt they'll be the first to complain when they cannot get through the queues to Ponte!

When referring to the developemnt I'm talking about the whole development and not just the stadium. This is primarliy a retail development in operation 7 days a week with the roads on either side (Stainburn Ave and Spittal Hardwick Lane) containing residential properties.

I also had to laugh at the comment that claimed the developer does not need to build a stadium! There certaily a shotage of developers willing to chuck £30+m at any development on any aspect they don't feel is necessary. There's only one reason they are proposing a stadium, to buy both the public of Cas and WMDC.

I don't want Cas to lose out on new facilities but the area over t'other side on the old pit stack is, IMO, much more suitable to this type of development than the wonderful countryside near Holywell woods.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
The only problem with that FC is affordability, the club can't hope to raise the £15m required to build the stadium with the housing market as it is, there's no way the sale of Wheldon Road could raise that kind of money, the only way was the supermarket route, but unfortunately, our luck ran out with that as we all know as a result in a big dip in the profits of most of the big supermarket chains causing them to re think numerous schemes, unfortunately including ours.

If you have a magical way of getting the funding for the Xscape stadium site FC, I'm sure the club will listen to you, but there's no way any developer is going to build that FOC for us, although maybe we could get them to build the stadium near Xcsape in return for getting behind the retail park on the Holywell wood side of Ponty road, not sure if that's feasible or not?

I believe that the only way we can build a new stadium is getting behind the new proposal, but making sure there are enough safeguards in place so that local residents get a scheme that goes some way to protecting the environment for them. I think the club should also make sure that the final plans for the stadium are up to our required specification and that corners are not cut - it's a pity the corners are not going to be filled in, as this would IMO improve the look of the stadium significantly, as well as cater for the increase in attendances that comes with a new stadium 99% of the time (Salford being the obvious exception to that rule).
Danny Boy

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 16 Apr 2014, 15:03

Is FC a NIMBY? There's a hell of a lot of NIMBY speak and empty statements in what he put...

This part especially would have been answered and cleared up if he looked at the plans and/or asked someone at the meetings:
Pretty sure Stainburn can only be accessed by car from the bottom so nobody is going to be driving down it and you probably aren't even going to be able to see the development (especially the stadium) and there's going to be no parking allowed on it either.

You can't get to the development via Spittal Hardwick either, that road being built there is for emergency services etc.
than the wonderful countryside near Holywell woods.
What wonderful countryside? :shock: the only people that use that are probably dog walkers (who could use the new nature park, which will look a hell of a lot better) and doggers (who need to get some decency, anyway). Not to mention the land being built on is farmland, right? Which means nobody should be using it without the owners permission anyway.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 16 Apr 2014, 15:11

Could they not do a road the other end of stainburn leading onto Holywell lane for residants.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 16 Apr 2014, 15:30

TheSheriff wrote:Is FC a NIMBY? There's a hell of a lot of NIMBY speak and empty statements in what he put...

This part especially would have been answered and cleared up if he looked at the plans and/or asked someone at the meetings:
Pretty sure Stainburn can only be accessed by car from the bottom so nobody is going to be driving down it and you probably aren't even going to be able to see the development (especially the stadium) and there's going to be no parking allowed on it either.

You can't get to the development via Spittal Hardwick either, that road being built there is for emergency services etc.
What wonderful countryside? :shock: the only people that use that are probably dog walkers (who could use the new nature park, which will look a hell of a lot better) and doggers (who need to get some decency, anyway). Not to mention the land being built on is farmland, right? Which means nobody should be using it without the owners permission anyway.
Nice try chief but as my user name suggests, I live in Fev so it'a hardly my back yard.

Stainburn - Extra traffic passing by it, making it difficult for the residents to get in and out plus additonal noise and...

Spitttal hardwick - never said it would be accessed from there but the view will certainly be affected in an area already blighted by man's hand.

Countryside - not just for us to abuse but is home to many creatures and I have seen Buzzards amongst other bird spiecies flying over the area. Not sure they'll be tempted by an Aldi, a car park or a stadium.

My suggestion for using the Waystone site was for the whole development and not just the stadium (why can't people grasp the whole development as one issue?). I'm sure waystone would be happy to see their land utilised which would keep developemnt in area already listed for development rather than needlessly destroying what is left of an unspoilt strip of land.

Ps What's wrong with dogging, your lass doesn't mind?

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 16 Apr 2014, 15:35

TheSheriff wrote:Is FC a NIMBY? There's a hell of a lot of NIMBY speak and empty statements in what he put...

its a long time since i tried walking over on that bit. there are some old footpaths on the map but they lead to the wood and when they started denying access to it the footpaths became dead ends and fell into disuse. i think the old footpath finger posts may still be there but if you try to follow them you will find yourself in the middle of a ploughed field unless things have changed again.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 16 Apr 2014, 17:09

I think FC his on about the post i put on that the development was going to happen with or with out a stadium, the difference was that if the stadium was built it could be done quicker, & not in years, I posted what i was told by a friend.

The M62 his already being widened for extra traffic, what might be part of the £10m the developer's are putting up for road improvements,...... I don't know. When I'm well enough to leave the house we go to Xscape for a meal or to Junction 32 roughly 4 or 5 times a week, & the traffic is never gridlocked like some would like us to believe, the only time that happens his when there's a race on at Ponty park, or running up to holidays.

The access in & out of Stainburn Avenue isn't the easiest thing to do, so any road improvement's if thought out right would make access easier rather than harder, but everyone's opinion will differ.

When I was younger & a bit dafter I would go to Hollywell woods on a regular bases playing in the tunnels in the lime stone, & the place his riddled with them, & looking at the plans for the complex that area wont be touched it will form part of the country park what will cover over 50 acre's. Some thought seems to have gone into the development with something for everyone.

There seems to be something what people keep forgetting, & that's the fact that Cas don't have the money to finance a new home, & unless they don't get into a scheme like this we will never get a new home in Castleford. Our old ground, no matter how much we love it, it his well past it's sell by date, & we don't have the funds to bring it up to date, & unless thing's don't change we will continue to drift in to the red & either go bust or finish up in the lower leagues for long.long,time.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 Apr 2014, 18:29

The old site would be even more ridiculous in terms of traffic. I don't even know why people are putting this as a logical counter-argument to the new site. :lol: :lol:
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

speedy
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: @casrlfc

Post by speedy » 16 Apr 2014, 22:39

Frankas wrote:I think FC his on about the post i put on that the development was going to happen with or with out a stadium, the difference was that if the stadium was built it could be done quicker, & not in years, I posted what i was told by a friend. Don't be too sure of that, planning permission for green belt is vey tight, ask your self if that was the case, why would a developer do this?

The M62 his already being widened for extra traffic, what might be part of the £10m the developer's are putting up for road improvements,...... I don't know. When I'm well enough to leave the house we go to Xscape for a meal or to Junction 32 roughly 4 or 5 times a week, & the traffic is never gridlocked like some would like us to believe, the only time that happens his when there's a race on at Ponty park, or running up to holidays. Not quite true mate, very often its backed up, even the lights turn red when you approach them and no one is coming the other way, the traffic moved a lot better when the lights were out for the road repair a year or so ago

The access in & out of Stainburn Avenue isn't the easiest thing to do, so any road improvement's if thought out right would make access easier rather than harder, but everyone's opinion will differ.

When I was younger & a bit dafter I would go to Hollywell woods on a regular bases playing in the tunnels in the lime stone, & the place his riddled with them, & looking at the plans for the complex that area wont be touched it will form part of the country park what will cover over 50 acre's. Some thought seems to have gone into the development with something for everyone. Not quite sure of that, also what will happen to the land directly above the stadium, does anyone know ? Where exactly is the 50 acres? I farmed those fields down toll hill in my youth and I cant remember the two fields from the m62 up amounting to 50 acres, does it include the thin strip down the motorway banking, when I asked at the meeting all I got was a blank face, How do people acess the country park and where do they park ? I'm undecided on this,

There seems to be something what people keep forgetting, & that's the fact that Cas don't have the money to finance a new home, & unless they don't get into a scheme like this we will never get a new home in Castleford. Our old ground, no matter how much we love it, it his well past it's sell by date, & we don't have the funds to bring it up to date, & unless thing's don't change we will continue to drift in to the red & either go bust or finish up in the lower leagues for long.long,time. I don't believe for one minute anyone is forgetting

Tiger Fig

Post by Tiger Fig » 17 Apr 2014, 00:53

Buzzards chuffin Buzzards......16 yrs I have lived here. Yes on the proposed Country Park side, chuffin Buzzards.
I lived at the side of the Early Bath as a youngster where Golden Eagles would swoop down and take chunks of meat from our hands... Chuffin Buzzards !
Hours I spend roaming like hundreds of others across the ploughed fields between Spittle Hardwick and Xscape marvelling at the extensive variety of wildlife such as Buzzards, not.....how this will be spoilt by creating a country Park with tree's and man made pools of water that attract wildlife such as Heron, small fury things and the occasional Buzzard.
Perhaps Waystone will just give us the land next to Xscape if we ask really nicely.
Sorry for being so sarcy......no I'm not sorry. What's 'Dogging' !!!!!

p.s.
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by p.s. » 17 Apr 2014, 08:34

They claim to be going to plant 70,000 trees, I planted 12,000 on my land to make two woods, about 20 years ago and I have buzzards living here now, as well as Barn Owls, Tawny Owls etc. The country park should provide more wildlife than just arable land would do.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 17 Apr 2014, 12:08

We'll see but either way it won't make it easier to get to Ponte.

The devil will be in the detail but I don't want development at any cost.