2015 election / politics thread

General Chit-Chat is in here... New Members are invited to pop in and say hello!
Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: 2015 election / politics thread

Post by Aid » 07 May 2015, 15:07

Oh yes I forgot to say, just prior to the financial crash Osbourn committed a Tory Government to matching labour's spending plans for the first couple of years after the 2010 election. So clearly he didn't think Labour were overspending then did he?

And in 2006 Osbourn on a visit to Dublin extoled the virtues of the then Celtic Tiger (the Irish economy) and called for the UK to relax the financial regulations on the City of London in the same way that the Irish Republic government had.

The one charge that you can lay on Brown is that he continued the light regulatory structure started by the Thatcher and Major governments. But the Tories would have been even worse as Osbourn confirmed in Dublin
cum on you Ford

WF10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WF10 » 07 May 2015, 16:59

Aid wrote:
alftupper wrote:How anybody can contemplate voting for labour is beyond me after the mess they made of the economy the last time.
Every Labour government since the war has left the economy in a worse state than they found it, the last time in '97 they inherited a budget that was more or less balanced, Brown then went on a reckless spending spree and by the time they lost the 2010 election the deficit was almost £200b.

And who was advising Brown during those spend, spend, spend years? yes Miliband and Balls. It's quite unbelievable that the British public could soon vote these two in as Prime Minister and Chancellor respectively.

The Tory and Lib Dem coalition has done a good job in halving this deficit, it will be an absolute disaster if Labour were to be let anywhere near the purse strings of this country.

Five years ago the Labour governments legacy was a note stating 'there's no money left' today the new government will inherit an economy well on the road to recovery.
Complete and utter hogwash, you are just spouting the lies from Cameron Clegg etc. The coalition government inherited a growing economy in 2010. Five consecutive quarters of growth, second quarter of 2010 saw growth at 0.7%, more then double the 0.3% that we saw announced just a few weeks ago. AND the economy is NOW slowing down again; 0.8 third quarter of 2014, 0.6% fourth quarter and then a pitiful 0.3% for the first three months of 2015.

As for the national debt and deficit, prior to the financial crisis CAUSED BY TORY'S MATES, THE BANKERS both the debt and the deficit were lower than what the Labour government inherited from John Major in 1997. And both were consistently lower during the Blair/Brown years than under Thatcher or major.

To counter the collapse in the private sector CAUSED BY THE BANKERS, the then chancellor Alistair Darling introduced sensible Keynesian policies, borrowing to invest, to stop the economy crashing completely. And it was working, hence the economic growth in 2009 and the beginning of 2010.

What then happened was Osbourn's austerity, which sent the economy back into recession. Their cuts had nothing to do with the debt, deficit or indeed the economy. It was simply the Tories doing what they always, bashing the poor and the most vulnerable, cutting back the state, especially local government which they hate and giving tax breaks and cuts to their pals.

Where I will give Cameron and Osbourn credit is for convincing a gullible part of the electorate that the crash was caused by Labour. And, that the government debt and deficit is somehow the most important problem that the UK has to deal with, it is not. Much more urgent is the growing personal debt, (what growth we have seen recently is on credit cards, housing equity and debt. All unsustainable) skill shortages, a low wage economy (which is the real reason why the benefit bill continues to soar, low paid staff working for the big four supermarkets claim £9 billion in benefits every year for example) and a huge balance of trade deficit.
Post of the year. :clap: :clap:
removed post it again and you will join them on a 48 hour ban read the AUP

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 08 May 2015, 08:37

It's looking like a good result for Britain with a probable Tory majority government to carry on the good work of the last 5 years.

I see the money and financial markets have breathed a sigh of relief with the pound surging and the ftse up 2% on early trading. Thank goodness Labour will not be allowed to stall the steady growth and deficit reduction and possibly wreck the economy again.

Ed Balls the biggest casualty so far maybe a position as FD at the Tigers awaits!

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 08 May 2015, 09:28

Labour are paying the price for having a total wet lettuce leading them. End of
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 08 May 2015, 09:50

I agree he has a complete lack of charisma a complete bullet in the foot moment when the trade union kingmakers decided to back him for leader.

But I think the British public were frightened more by his policies and record than his geek personality.

This is the labour party that told us 'no more boom bust' then bust our economy, the party that 'sent out search parties' to encourage even more immigrants to flood this country, the party that sold off our gold reserves at knock down prices, the party that robbed your pension pot of tax relief, the party that saddled us with massive on going PFI debt because of ill judged policy, the list goes on and on.

Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Aid » 08 May 2015, 10:38

alftupper wrote:I agree he has a complete lack of charisma a complete bullet in the foot moment when the trade union kingmakers decided to back him for leader.

But I think the British public were frightened more by his policies and record than his geek personality.

This is the labour party that told us 'no more boom bust' then bust our economy, the party that 'sent out search parties' to encourage even more immigrants to flood this country, the party that sold off our gold reserves at knock down prices, the party that robbed your pension pot of tax relief, the party that saddled us with massive on going PFI debt because of ill judged policy, the list goes on and on.
You really are a wally, LABOUR DID NOT BUST THE ECONOMY the bankers did! Sadly enough of the residents of England are gullible or stupid enough (you can choose which category you fall in yourself) to believe the Tory lies. And Labour under the two Eds failed to take on the Tory lies and defend their record on the economy. Really do not understand why they did that and it cost them dear yesterday. However the really happy bunnies will be Sturgeon and Salmond who for all their protestations will be delighted to see a Tory government continuing with their austerity polices as that will be the best way fro them achieving their goal of Scottish Independence.

And. by the way PFI, was a Tory policy carried on by Labour>
cum on you Ford

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 08 May 2015, 10:59

Aid wrote:
alftupper wrote:I agree he has a complete lack of charisma a complete bullet in the foot moment when the trade union kingmakers decided to back him for leader.

You really are a wally, LABOUR DID NOT BUST THE ECONOMY the bankers did! Sadly enough of the residents of England are gullible or stupid enough (you can choose which category you fall in yourself) to believe the Tory lies. And Labour under the two Eds failed to take on the Tory lies and defend their record on the economy. Really do not understand why they did that and it cost them dear yesterday. However the really happy bunnies will be Sturgeon and Salmond who for all their protestations will be delighted to see a Tory government continuing with their austerity polices as that will be the best way fro them achieving their goal of Scottish Independence.

are you a Labour activist?

during my adult life I have voted for all three tradition major parties and have cast my vote based on their record and party manifestos. I don't vote on genetically passed down dogma which once again is illustrated as being alive and kicking in the Castleford, Normanton and Pontefract seat by the election of the Labour candidate by a whopping 15k vote majority.

Have you ever voted for any other party I wonder?

Also if I could add by resorting to inarticulate name calling you not only lost the argument but have been reported to the moderators for breaking the AUP.

WF10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WF10 » 08 May 2015, 23:10

alftupper wrote:
Aid wrote:

are you a Labour activist?

during my adult life I have voted for all three tradition major parties and have cast my vote based on their record and party manifestos. I don't vote on genetically passed down dogma which once again is illustrated as being alive and kicking in the Castleford, Normanton and Pontefract seat by the election of the Labour candidate by a whopping 15k vote majority.

Have you ever voted for any other party I wonder?

Also if I could add by resorting to inarticulate name calling you not only lost the argument but have been reported to the moderators for breaking the AUP.
:shock: ye well my dad will batter your dad, so there! :D

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 10 May 2015, 02:26

Careful with the personal messages please. As always politics causes heated discussions and just because the other persons opinion isn't something you believe in doesn't mean it has to get personal.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 10 May 2015, 12:48

next labour leader -andy burnham -with yvett copper is deputy.well thats were my vote is going been a member of labour party since 1992

WF10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WF10 » 10 May 2015, 13:41

I like Burnham but can't see him challenging for the PM in 5 years time, I think he's viewed as a bit of a pushover and this time around Labour provided no realistic opposition at all. Unable to fob off accusations of oversepending and causing the financial crisis, even though it was patently and obviously a lie. I fear it would be more of the same with Burnham.

Could do worse than going with Cooper? Although I'm not sure how electable she is and being married to Ed Balls may not help.

Chukka? The hesitancy would have to be about whether we can see a black leader getting votes considering 4m people voted ukip? It shouldn't matter about skin colour but for some it may do. Are those people racist or xenophobic or both?

Jarvis? As a time served soldier in Iraq/Afghanistan would that compromise Muslim votes?

It's a huge decision and one that needs very careful consideration.

Sigon
Championship Player
Championship Player
Twitter: @nogis

Post by Sigon » 10 May 2015, 21:13

Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 10 May 2015, 21:50

Sigon wrote:
gutted that dan is not standing - #-o #-o #-o

alcasfan
League One Player
League One Player
Location: LS25 About as far from LEEDS as you can get with an LS code - Thank God!

Post by alcasfan » 10 May 2015, 23:50

onetiger wrote:
Sigon wrote:
gutted that dan is not standing - #-o #-o #-o
Ditto !!! :-&

But, total respect to him for is reason !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Castleford's biggest home crowd of the 1991-1992 season wasn't quite 12,000 while on average they'd sit around 6000 but the noise, the chanting and the singing just blows you away" - Tawera Nikau "Standing Tall"

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 11 May 2015, 00:50

one who i dont want is that tristran hunt -god he looks like a tory talks like one .dont have a clue who would make best leader now as one minute its andy burnham -then i wanted dan jarvis will just have to watch which one put over the best case but not hunt

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 11 May 2015, 13:56

Labour have lost 40 seats in Scotland, seats that in years past were safe. The SNP have changed that for ever in my opinion which will make the prospect of a majority Labour government unlikely in the future. Don't forget that the Lib Dems are at their nadir in terms of popularity which Labour probably benefit from and still they didn't come close. Middle (aspirational) England have rejected Labours left of centre policies and I expect a move to the right of centre from their policy makers to make them anywhere near electable.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 11 May 2015, 22:28

I voted UKIP so what's with the racist or xenophobic crap?just maybe there is a growing disillusionment with the two main parties.As for chuka umunna he really is not a guy that's gonna bring back the working class vote.another millionaire London elitist.

Sigon
Championship Player
Championship Player
Twitter: @nogis

Post by Sigon » 11 May 2015, 22:48

alftupper wrote:Labour have lost 40 seats in Scotland, seats that in years past were safe. The SNP have changed that for ever in my opinion which will make the prospect of a majority Labour government unlikely in the future
Nothing to do with the referendum, followed by Westminster telling Scotland they will not get what they were promised then.
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 13 May 2015, 11:42

Sigon wrote:
alftupper wrote:Labour have lost 40 seats in Scotland, seats that in years past were safe. The SNP have changed that for ever in my opinion which will make the prospect of a majority Labour government unlikely in the future
Nothing to do with the referendum, followed by Westminster telling Scotland they will not get what they were promised then.
Probably, but I wasn't suggesting otherwise. There is a growing wave of Nationalism in Scotland and I just can't see Labour winning many seats back north of the border.